ACM Status Update #2

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 19, 2010, 11:24:40 AM

Author
ACM Status Update #2 (Read 156,944 times)

Ash 937

Ash 937

That's ridiculous.  I think they should devote more than an hour to A:CM.  I realize that there is a lot of mystery circulating around how much more development is needed before DNF to be released but A:CM has been developed from the ground-up by GBX and I think they should devote a little more time to showcasing an actual game that they worked on instead of the work that they inherited from somebody else.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 04, 2010, 12:33:46 AM
Gearbox will be showing Aliens: Colonial Marines from 3:00pm-4:00pm this upcoming Sunday, September 5th, 2010.

(Press CTRL+F and type in "Aliens").

Nowhere does it say they will be showing it, and the entire Gearbox panel is from 3:00-4:00, where I'm sure they will mostly be discussing Duke Nukem Forever and perhaps Borderlands 2.  Aliens CM may get a mention, but I'd lay money on it that no footage will be shown.

BANE

BANE

They mention the two titles that have yet to be released and which Gearbox are working on...I think it's pretty safe to assume they are showing it. However, they may not...

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 04, 2010, 02:31:37 AM
They mention the two titles that have yet to be released and which Gearbox are working on...I think it's pretty safe to assume they are showing it. However, they may not...

It's just as likely if not more so that those two titles are Borderlands 2 and Brothers in Arms 4.

BANE

BANE

Let's hope not.  :-\

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: BLAIN on Sep 04, 2010, 02:35:32 AM
Let's hope not.  :-\

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see it, however it's impossible for me to take anything regarding Aliens CM seriously after this long until I see it.

WinterActual

WinterActual

Quote from: Cellien on Sep 03, 2010, 08:28:45 PM

Duke Nukem Forever was announced almost 15 years ago...  ACM, what?  2-3 years ago?
I know I know,I said "Lets wait a lil bit longer,it will be released soon" a 14 years ago,a year after DNF announce and what happened....

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 04, 2010, 01:32:10 AM
That's ridiculous.  I think they should devote more than an hour to A:CM.  I realize that there is a lot of mystery circulating around how much more development is needed before DNF to be released but A:CM has been developed from the ground-up by GBX and I think they should devote a little more time to showcasing an actual game that they worked on instead of the work that they inherited from somebody else.

Apparently GBX now owns the IP to Duke. Which means it's their adopted child like its other children Borderlands and BiA which means they make the decision when and where they want to show it off... Unlike Aliens which has a HUGE complicated parental issues with Fox, Sega, Cameron, Scott, Fincher, GBX, Rebellion, etc.
So this may still be Sega's fault... If they aren't letting GBX show off ALIENS why should GBX have to wait when they can show off Duke Nukem who they now have rights to.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Chris!(($$))! on Sep 04, 2010, 06:00:22 PM
Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 04, 2010, 01:32:10 AM

Apparently GBX now owns the IP to Duke. Which means it's their adopted child like its other children Borderlands and BiA which means they make the decision when and where they want to show it off... Unlike Aliens which has a HUGE complicated parental issues with Fox, Sega, Cameron, Scott, Fincher, GBX, Rebellion, etc.
So this may still be Sega's fault... If they aren't letting GBX show off ALIENS why should GBX have to wait when they can show off Duke Nukem who they now have rights to.

2K Games owns the rights to Duke Nukem and Borderlands, and Ubisoft owns Brothers in Arms.  Gearbox is a developer and it's mostly the publishers who own IP.

And the Aliens "parental issues" you mentioned are not that complicated.  Fox holds the film and franchise rights, and Sega holds the Game rights.  Rebellion and the directors you mentioned have no involvement in Aliens CM.  Sega makes all the decisions related to the games although they may have to clear some of those decisons through Fox.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Yeah dude.  I never saw the "paternal" issues of the Alien franchise being so complicated.  I'm gonna speculate and say the biggest culprit behind why A:CM has not been completed has everything to do with David Fincher.  He is holding out to see the final version of the game script before he gives his personal authorization for the game to be completed by Gearbox.  Meanwhile, Scott and Cameron have given their clearance for this game to be made.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: Ash 937 on Sep 05, 2010, 12:11:51 AM

Yeah dude.  I never saw the "paternal" issues of the Alien franchise being so complicated.  I'm gonna speculate and say the biggest culprit behind why A:CM has not been completed has everything to do with David Fincher.  He is holding out to see the final version of the game script before he gives his personal authorization for the game to be completed by Gearbox.  Meanwhile, Scott and Cameron have given their clearance for this game to be made.

Again, none of the directors of the Alien films have any ownership of the Alien franchise, and they are not involved in any way with Aliens CM.

Ash 937

Ash 937

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 05, 2010, 01:14:45 AM
Again, none of the directors of the Alien films have any ownership of the Alien franchise, and they are not involved in any way with Aliens CM.

Actually, Ridgetop...you might be right for once.  I was thinking about it and I came to the conclusion that if David Fincher really had ownership in the franchise then Alien3 would've been a better movie.  But I also read an interview with Fincher where he said that the Hollywood movie business was an industry where you "fail upwards."  In other words, if someone makes a bad movie, they are allowed to make better films with bigger budgets later.  Maybe Fincher wanted to start off with making a disaster of Alien3 so he would have the chance to make Se7en and Fight Club.  So bad film or not, some of these directors may have a say in which direction the franchise goes...and by default, this goes for the video games too. Plus, David Fincher is the only director to ever shoot a film on Fury 161.  If the developers of A:CM wanted to make a level on that planet, I'm sure he would be one of the guys they would have to go first.  It would be easier, however, to make a level on LV-426 since both Cameron and Scott shot their Alien films on that planet.  So if Randy Pitchford wanted to make a level for A:CM on that planet, he could always go to Cameron if Scott wasn't available and visa versa.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

For once? How am I normally wrong? And for the third time now... The directors have zero involvement in the games nor do they have any ownership of the franchise.  Fox owns it all and Sega has permission to make the games.  Gearbox reports to Sega and Sega reports to Fox, that's it.

David Fincher does not control the use of Fury 161, Fox does.

cloverfan98

cloverfan98

Its looking like we may never get some concreate info on this game. And I may be the only one, but I'd take Aliens over Duke any day.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Hey, if Duke Nukem forever is coming out, anything can happen. Me and my flying pigs anxiously await more news from PAX.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed