Alien (1979): A Egyptian Myth Reborn?

Started by E. Shaw, Mar 24, 2024, 11:40:25 PM

Author
Alien (1979): A Egyptian Myth Reborn? (Read 503 times)

E. Shaw

E. Shaw

I rewatched Alien recently, and I noticed the Xenomorph appears frequently when Jonsey the cat is present. It made me wonder, is Chappie/Xenomorph Apep the destroyer serpent god in Egypt, and Jonsey is Bastet/Sekhmet and Ripley is Ra who defeats Apep?

Apep is a Sepent that is black in some depictions, chestburster is a sepentine form and the Xeno is black like Apep's top half.

Bastet is a cat god who fights Apep, and has warrior side named Sekhmet. Ra is her father who takes a Cat/Lion form to fight Apep. This would solidy as Ripley as Ra, since Jonsey/Bastet is her pet, qnd Bastet usually is in a regular cat form, "Bastet, who increasingly was depicted as a cat, representing a gentler aspect." (Bastet, Wikipedia)

Weyland's symbol looks like The Zorastrian symbol of Ahura Mazda, but could it be Ra's more traditional form?:

I read that Giger spent a lot of time in an Egyptian wing of a museum and his designs look Egyptian.

Anyways for the first time I watched Alien in a new light, a battle between Ra & Bastet and Apep.

BigDaddyJohn

I always knew Jones was important.

solace97

No.

But I like the coincidence.

TheDerelict

So what you're saying is that the 1994 movie Stargate is set in the Alien universe.

Good call.

SiL

The logo has Egyptian influence, yes.

The rest is just cute coincidence. I think Walter Hill just likes cats.

BigDaddyJohn

Definitely one of the good guys.  ;D

Neila

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 25, 2024, 12:01:42 AMI always knew Jones was important.

now I finally get it.
that makes sense.
Of course I wouldn't throw Jones out of the airlock now. ;)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

QuoteI read that Giger spent a lot of time in an Egyptian wing of a museum and his designs look Egyptian

The gold painted vehicle bay in the Nostromo is also another Egyptian influence. Ridley wanted it to look like Tutankhamun's treasure chamber.

So you also have those Egyptian columns made from Canberra bomber engines.

Immortan Jonesy

The Alien is a better person than humans. He could have tried to squash the cat, and he didn't. Even if it's because Jonesy is neither a viable host nor a threat...still. Humans live by killing animals (such as insects or spiders) for the mere fact of considering them inferior. Hell! humans even kill other humans. 🤢🤮 Well, Resurrection's CloneAliens too. But those were freaks anyway and they did it to escape. Chappie respects the cat.

Also, I'd I'd be delighted by a highly misanthropic movie where the Alien kills everyone, even the hero, and Game over!

Btw! Superb post! 8)🙏

Thatguy2068

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Mar 25, 2024, 05:15:45 PM
QuoteI read that Giger spent a lot of time in an Egyptian wing of a museum and his designs look Egyptian

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgxBtS1Ws9RCAuvkLFJbUEJpxtMfAtGswCRh74nuUKy5HX-wEtu26tHaN6grj2s7GdvLCj420i2J8RtJzr0ouucN7POB3Z8NfzNYxAUFUg7Te9E2JA4m02gBtOnSDfuLlavdQoDFUx8xfeZ/s1200/henu+barque+and+space+jockey.jpg
The gold painted vehicle bay in the Nostromo is also another Egyptian influence. Ridley wanted it to look like Tutankhamun's treasure chamber.

OK that picture right there cannot be a coincidence, there is definitely some inspiration from Egypt that Giger took. Famous life cycle peeking that he did for the movie sort of run since to the drawings that the the Egypt did for communication

E. Shaw

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 25, 2024, 05:37:42 PMThe Alien is a better person than humans. He could have tried to squash the cat, and he didn't. Even if it's because Jonesy is neither a viable host nor a threat...still. Humans live by killing animals (such as insects or spiders) for the mere fact of considering them inferior. Hell! humans even kill other humans. 🤢🤮 Well, Resurrection's CloneAliens too. But those were freaks anyway and they did it to escape. Chappie respects the cat.

Also, I'd I'd be delighted by a highly misanthropic movie where the Alien kills everyone, even the hero, and Game over!

Btw! Superb post! 8)🙏

But if Chappie is Apep, he may have feared Jonsey would summon Ra to destroy him and that is why he left the cat alone. :D ;)

BigDaddyJohn

Maybe Chap was scared of the cat and slapped the box as a defensive move. You sometimes see bigger animals get scared by small ones.

E. Shaw

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Mar 25, 2024, 05:15:45 PM

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEgxBtS1Ws9RCAuvkLFJbUEJpxtMfAtGswCRh74nuUKy5HX-wEtu26tHaN6grj2s7GdvLCj420i2J8RtJzr0ouucN7POB3Z8NfzNYxAUFUg7Te9E2JA4m02gBtOnSDfuLlavdQoDFUx8xfeZ/s1200/henu+barque+and+space+jockey.jpg

Woah! That is a neat find! I totally see the connections! Thanks for sharing this! :)

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 25, 2024, 05:37:42 PMThe Alien is a better person than humans. He could have tried to squash the cat, and he didn't. Even if it's because Jonesy is neither a viable host nor a threat...still. Humans live by killing animals (such as insects or spiders) for the mere fact of considering them inferior. Hell! humans even kill other humans. 🤢🤮 Well, Resurrection's CloneAliens too. But those were freaks anyway and they did it to escape. Chappie respects the cat.

Btw! Superb post! 8)🙏

I have a theory that The Queen on LV-426 in Aliens hisses like a cat because Chappie sent the sound of Jonsey hissing to her majesty via the Hive Mind when Chappie observed it when he attacked Brett. :D

Thanks! It occurred to me during this viewing of Alien. :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed