Aliens Versus Predator 2 License status

Started by The Cruentus, Jan 14, 2024, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Aliens Versus Predator 2 License status (Read 2,928 times)

The Cruentus

The first AVP game had been remade, but nothing has been done with its sequel and I think that was to do with some rights dispute between Monolith and Fox (I might be wrong here). Which of course is a shame since it is arguably the better game in some ways.

So does anyone know what the currently legal status is? If there has been any updates or resolution?

Kimarhi

last time I looked you couldn't even buy the OG AVP2 on stream or other services.  so it definitely has something up with it. 

The Cruentus

Wait, folks can't even buy it anymore?

BlueMarsalis79

No offense, but how do you not know?

Never got a digital release whatsoever.

The Cruentus

Because I already have it, I'm not going to look for it in stores if I have it already. Plus I have played multiplayer on it thanks to a master server thingy. Well not in the last few years but it still got a active multiplayer base.

So I thought it was still popular to warrant it being in stores.  :laugh:

BlueMarsalis79

Easy to make a good thing popular enough when it is free.

razeak

I vaguely remember something about audio rights.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: razeak on Jan 15, 2024, 03:40:45 AMI vaguely remember something about audio rights.

It does re-use most (all?) of the 99 OST, and I'm pretty certain one or two of the same tracks show up in other Fox material around the time. Could well be part of the mess, but IIRC it's much bigger than just that.

Kimarhi

I still have it two foot from where I'm typing right now, my problem is that none of my laptops have an optic port in them anymore to play it.  I know about just buying a usb optic drive, but I'm sure there will be driver issues and all that other bs to worry about and honestly f**k that noise. 

Wweyland

This is the game I'm missing the most in my modern game library.
Not Primal Hunt that much though, but I would not be against the full "Gold Edition" to be re-released.

The Cruentus

It is a shame that like Blue said, that is no longer available.

It is a damn good game that should be in any fan's collection. As much as I liked the first game, I preferred the second one. The Alien campaign was cool too, you get to go through the Alien life-cycle.

The sound effects were brilliant, they were pretty much movie accurate. Could be a factor in the licence issue actually.

It is something that should be given an updated re-release, perhaps even to consoles.

Multiplayer was fun because it could include the Alien life-cycle. Makes the aliens a bit harder to play but its immersive and if you survive long enough (or get lots of kills?) you morph into a praetorian.  ;D

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Kimarhi on Jan 15, 2024, 06:11:45 AMI still have it two foot from where I'm typing right now, my problem is that none of my laptops have an optic port in them anymore to play it.  I know about just buying a usb optic drive, but I'm sure there will be driver issues and all that other bs to worry about and honestly f**k that noise. 

You can very easily obtain a working copy without using a CD, and 1-2 patches fix graphics and multiplayer on most machines.

BlueMarsalis79

Retropocalypse

I'm no lawyer, but I  imagine it's in licensing limbo.

IP = owned by Fox/Disney
Engine = owned by Monolith/Warner Bros
Distribution Rights = owned by Activision-Blizzard/Microsoft

Too many would want the biggest piece of the pie. I'm sure Nightdive Studios have tried to make it happen.

The Cruentus

They should a make a neutrality clause or something, allow a remake/remaster to happen and everyone gets a piece of the profit without having to fight for other pieces.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed