ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 154,354 times)

predxeno

Thanks, Hicks, much appreciated.  This actually reminds me of the Aliens novels by Diane Carey (Aliens: DNA War and Aliens: Cauldron), they always started with some sort of ship-almost-crashing emergency as the prologue.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

RobThom, you remind me of Christopher Walken.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I have the book. Early days but interesting so far without being spectacular. Action takes place on LV-178 which has a mining operation on the surface and an orbiting ship above. Writing style nothing spectacular but characters are fine so far.

Takes place 37 years after Alien. I'll do a spoiler-tagged breakdown soon.

Cvalda

The first POV character is named Hoop.

Hoop.

And we're off to a great start! :)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 21, 2014, 12:12:36 AM

Hoop.

Just following tradition ;) Maybe the next character we get will be Cornbread.

SM

SM

:laugh:

I used to work with someone whose surname was Hoop.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Is there an android whose name begins with E (following on from Ash, Bishop, Call, and David)? If there's a character with an E name, I'm calling that they're android, GASP, sent by the Company to get an Alien.  :laugh:

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Cvalda on Jan 21, 2014, 12:12:36 AM

Hoop.

Cvalda

Quote from: SM on Jan 21, 2014, 12:27:42 AM
I used to work with someone whose surname was Hoop.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm about 70 pages in. I'm enjoying it but it's not fantastic of yet. It's a slow burner - which I'm liking - and I'm getting to know Hoop pretty well. So far the only thing I haven't really liked was the "game over" dialogue and I'm not seeing the need for Ripley back atm.

Oh, it also looks like Titan are republishing ADFs A1-3 novelisations later this year.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2014, 08:18:19 AMOh, it also looks like Titan are republishing ADFs A1-3 novelisations later this year.
I'd noticed they were being reprinted.

Slight aside, but has anyone read ADF's novelisation of The Thing? I really enjoyed his Alien books and want to give it a try, but copies seem to be pretty pricey.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jan 22, 2014, 12:59:16 PMhas anyone read ADF's novelisation of The Thing? I really enjoyed his Alien books and want to give it a try, but copies seem to be pretty pricey.

It is SO good. Also, it differs from the film in some interesting ways, as regards the more action-heavy stuff. Can't recommend it highly enough. If I could bear to part with it, I'd send you mine!  8)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Jan 22, 2014, 01:29:55 PMIt is SO good. Also, it differs from the film in some interesting ways, as regards the more action-heavy stuff. Can't recommend it highly enough. If I could bear to part with it, I'd send you mine!  8)
I'll have to track down a copy then!

TheBATMAN

I concur with Mr. Clemens the novelisation of The Thing is superb. It is based on an earlier draft of the script and includes major differences, including the infamous dog sled and 'lights out' sequences. It is bloody fantastic.

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 22, 2014, 08:18:19 AM
Oh, it also looks like Titan are republishing ADFs A1-3 novelisations later this year.

Wow :o, do you have a link?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed