New Map: TDM Dry Dock

Started by windebieste, Feb 19, 2016, 06:48:42 AM

Author
New Map: TDM Dry Dock (Read 13,873 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm loving how this is all coming together!

x-M-x

x-M-x

Fantastic !!

Can't wait to get my hands on this !

windebieste

windebieste

Ya.  It's coming along really well.  Like REALLY Well. My problem is I'm working on too many Projects at once so my time and attention is (unevenly) divided on RL commitments and several of these other Projects that I need to do. 

Among other things, this week's images give you some more lighting adjustments on the exterior.  I'm keeping the blue ambiance - it works the best.  I tried a bunch of other schemes and they all looked terrible and only served to emphasize how aged the game is.  It can look really sweet under the right conditions, but I'm finding blue is the best - especially for the exterior location on this particular map. 

Once all the micro detailing for the map is in place and individual Point Lights are added , the scene will really pop, but right now, the map is generally very flat - especially in the interior section of the map - which is only basically detailed.  I still haven't touched the hive yet - that will take some time and will be done using sheets of zero thickness polies created in the editor and each vertex manipulated using Geometry Mode.  It's a fussy way to do things, but the results are sweet.  I'll post images of that once it starts to take shape.  Right now it's just an empty space reserved for that purpose and not all that interesting to look at right now

Other than the hive and the transfer station, there is one more interior location that I need to work on.  It also hasn't had any detailing done on it just yet but once I get onto those areas, I will post more varying screenshots.  All the walkways and navigation corridors are also now in place.  They will also need to be detailed and lit. 

A couple of screens of the logistics transfer station.  Cargo, vehicles, crane, ramps, pipes and multiple elevations.  This area is mostly complete now.   This location just needs micro detailing, lighting, spawn points, pickups, Testing, Testing, Testing...  and um... more Testing...

The exterior location featuring the old boat has undergone a few additions and changes.  It's darker now and the map is surrounded by low detailed towers.  You won't have access to them as any character, they're decorative only and for helping to lend a greater sense of place to the map and sell the location as a small piece of a much larger World.  Once all the lighting and details are added, this area will come alive.  Still got some placeholder trucks and other work that needs to be done here.  Got a looong way to go yet!  :)

So it still has a long way to go.  Once Upon a Time when I had less commitments, a greater command of the level design tools and more time to f**k around making this stuff, this map would have been completed by now.  It's a slow process and adding that hive is going to be bitching work.  Right now my goal is to get all the locations up to the same level of detail before I go through the whole map, set up the lighting and micro detail it.  Testing too.  Oh, yeah.  Don't forget that!

-Windebieste.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Well it's definitely coming along great! It looks wonderful. Really makes me want to give it a go but I know I'd never be able to commit to learning it properly.

I can't wait to give yours a go though.

Randomizer

Randomizer

It's not that hard, learning how to draw, split, carve, hollow, texture and light brushes. It's just the way you combine them in order to create complex shapes (such as a ship) that is difficult to make.

Loving it. Can't wait to see the final result.  :)

x-M-x

x-M-x

Love the shadows/light effects.

The ball is rolling windie !

;)

Lucifero

Lucifero

nice map
it's nice to see that someone in 2016 still has the patience to draw or re draw
but the old engine has its limits talking of shadows/light effects.

one of his many faults

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 06, 2016, 08:25:52 AM
but the old engine has its limits talking of shadows/light effects.

Yeah, the lighting and shadows is something I've always wanted to see updated. I wish AvP2 got a mod like the Berserker mod for Quake 2, which gave it modern lighting/shadows and so forth.

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hello Windebieste!
Progress looks very nice! If you ever need a hand at testing, my rat nose will find all the leaks :p

Cya and keep up!

windebieste

windebieste

Hi there, Le C.  You wanna test this map?  Does that mean you're going to send me ENDLESS SCREENSHOTS with RED SQUARES MERCILESSLY DRAWN ALL OVER THEM? 

AGAIN..?

In that case, it's a deal.  The map will need to be tested and you'd be welcome to do so. 

As for the map itself, I'm working on the hive at the moment.  It's got to fit in the interior of the lower section of the map.  Going to take a while.  About a fifth completed as of now.  Well, maybe a little less considering all the architectural geometry, lights, TWM's, drippers and other props that will need to be added to it.

Waaaay too much on my plate at the moment, so that makes progress doubly slow, but hey.  I'm getting there. ;)

-Windebieste.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Keep up the good work Winde!

Glad you're finally gonna release a map in 2016 !  ;D

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Hey Windebieste,

Don't worry, I grew up, I draw pink circle now, I'm much more gentle!
Take all the time in the world, I know how important it is ;)

Good luck!

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Le Celticant on Mar 09, 2016, 12:09:44 PM
Hey Windebieste,

Good luck!

Hah, no doubt you're the best 'tester' for a new map.

Find those bugs Le Celticant!!!!!  :D

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 10, 2016, 12:28:50 PM
Quote from: Le Celticant on Mar 09, 2016, 12:09:44 PM
Hey Windebieste,

Good luck!

Hah, no doubt you're the best 'tester' for a new map.

Find those bugs Le Celticant!!!!!  :D

Spoiler
[close]

windebieste

windebieste

Here's the first pass on the hive, just to get it started as a location.  At the moment it's not terribly large but it does have 7 entrances/exits into it so everyone can get in there and mess around.  At the moment, it's still very early in development and there's a ton of work to get done - especially if I choose to expand it some more. 

Anyway, on with the visual documentation: 

One of the entrances into the hive.  You wanna go down there, right?

Eventually, it will be somewhat darker down here, the temp lighting is so u can see stuff.  Not much to see at the moment though.

More resin columns, pipes, girders and places for ugly things to hide.

The map is coming along nice and quick.  I'll put aside this initial pass on the hive for now and get one of the other areas up the same level of detail.  Once that location is done, I'll add a bunch of spawn points to the map and it will be ready for its first test run. 

Looking forward to that.    ;)

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed