Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise

Started by Thatguy2068, Nov 16, 2023, 05:37:56 AM

Author
Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise (Read 6,796 times)

SM

SM

Bitten but not in the head.  Or anywhere terribly vital.

ralfy

ralfy

The catch is that cosmic horror is based on cosmicism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraftian_horror

QuoteThe hallmark of Lovecraft's work is cosmicism, the sense that ordinary life is a thin shell over a reality that is so alien and abstract in comparison that merely contemplating it would damage the sanity of the ordinary person,[12] insignificance and powerlessness at the cosmic scale,[14] and uncompromising negativity.[15] Author China Miéville notes that "Lovecraft's horror is not one of intrusion but of realization. The world has always been implacably bleak; the horror lies in our acknowledging that fact."[16] Lovecraft's work is also steeped in the insular feel of rural New England,[17][18] and much of the genre continues to maintain this sense that "that which man was not meant to know" might be closer to the surface of ordinary life outside of the crowded cities of modern civilization.[citation needed]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosmicism

QuoteThe philosophy of cosmicism states that "there is no recognizable divine presence, such as a god, in the universe, and that humans are particularly insignificant in the larger scheme of intergalactic existence."[4] The most prominent theme is humanity's fear of their insignificance in the face of an incomprehensibly large universe:[5][6][7] a fear of the cosmic void.[8]

In short, cosmic horror involves fear of the Elder Ones, while cosmicism involves fear of realizing that there's nothing out there.

SiL

SiL

We don't even know that. We don't see anything is the point.

When we see people hit with the jaw, they die.

SM

SM

Yeah generally.  Which always pissed me off about those shots in AvP.

SiL

SiL

My turn to have missed a few posts before replying :laugh:

Those shots don't annoy me so much as that dumb knife sharpening sound.

The Cruentus

Are you on about the sound when the alien is on top of celtic and it using its inner jow constantly with blade-like sounc effects? I agree those are ill placed.

SiL

SiL

It's every single time the jaw comes out throughout the film. Every one.

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: The Cruentus on Jan 01, 2024, 12:09:49 AMMaybe, the novel of Aliens actually has it that their tail can induce paralysis in a victim. I mean obvious movie canon comes first but its a nice little tidbit.

fwiw

that was scripted by cameron in one of the 2 scripts he wrote. it happened when the alien attacked the apc afer ripley s rescue attempt. gorman got stung and was paralyzed. in the movie bishop says something about whatever happened to gorman the effects should wear off and he should wake soon. never explains what it was that was wearing off. or did he ?

SM

SM

Neuro muscular toxin.

oduodu

ty sm

kinda hints that somrthing paralyzed him.

SiL

SiL

They're not mentioned in the movie, no.

oduodu

oh ok ty sil

The Cruentus

The only Alien that has paralytic ability in the movies is the huggers, but the EU has added a few different ways adults can incapicitate folks. The aforemention tail being one of them.

Still Collating...

Which as said, is a callback to the older script of Aliens. It's making a comeback cause it's now cool for franchises to use as much as the old concept stuff they had and call it a callback/reference. That's the popular thing now. Oh and in the Alien universe specifically, like more and more of the eggmorphing usage being shown in novels/comics/RPG books.

[cancerblack]

And like, half the shit in Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed