What made you happy today?

Started by Rick Grimes, Feb 08, 2013, 03:09:06 PM

Author
What made you happy today? (Read 590,256 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 08, 2018, 11:59:34 AM
The drunk thread is over there.

What about the moving thread?

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 08, 2018, 01:22:13 PM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 08, 2018, 11:59:34 AM
The drunk thread is over there.

What about the moving thread?

It is to your left and to your right. Past the drunk thread and Hudson's shenanigans.

Huggs

Huggs

An old lady asked me what day it was today. When I told her it was the 11th, she responded with the factoid that it was just 6 days until her anniversary. Trying to be a nice guy, I went to offer my congratulations. Unfortunately for us both (mostly for me) I'm slightly deaf. So naturally, I didn't hear the part about her husband being dead. Which is exactly when I offered my heartfelt congratulations with a smile and asked how many years does this make?

...oops.

I knew there was a problem when she looked shocked and hollered "what?!"

Luckily for me, I can handle this sort of thing so I quickly got the situation under control. I apologized for her loss and she talked for a bit about how much he meant to her. We parted pleasantly and both of us got a good chuckle out of it. I was let off the hook pretty quick though when I noticed my boss describing where a certain product was located, based on its color and the various meanings of the colors. It just so happens that the person she was speaking to, was...in fact...color blind. I knew this, but said nothing until the bewildered customer just wandered away. Then I shared that relevant little tidbit, and redeemed myself.  ;D

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

So, you dun goofed, then your boss dun goofed.

At least nobody got super pissed.

Wish that could happen to me. At least you can let things go. I feel guilty about almost everything I say and do. I overanalyze my actions and think too hard about what I say after I say it. Even if someone says, "It's OK," I feel like they're wondering if I'm autistic or mentally stunted or just plain oblivious to things outside my own head.

Long story short . . . how do I just let things go like that, Huggs?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 11, 2018, 11:36:13 PM
Wish that could happen to me. At least you can let things go. I feel guilty about almost everything I say and do. I overanalyze my actions and think too hard about what I say after I say it. Even if someone says, "It's OK," I feel like they're wondering if I'm autistic or mentally stunted or just plain oblivious to things outside my own head.

You just accept that you're a valuable human being with your own set of flaws. It has nothing to do with other people, it's how you see yourself. You have to be willing to forgive yourself and accept it as normal when you make mistakes.

I maintain a good sense of humor, and a ton of indifference. What other people think of me is completely and totally irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. I know who I am and what I'm worth. If somebody thinks poorly of me because I made a mistake due to overwork, sickness, or just being human, then that's on them. It's not my problem. Our paths will likely not cross again and regardless, I'll continue to surround myself with people whom I love and respect, and who love and respect me in return. Life goes on.

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 12, 2018, 12:24:43 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 11, 2018, 11:36:13 PM

You just accept that you're a valuable human being with your own set of flaws. It has nothing to do with other people, it's how you see yourself. You have to be willing to forgive yourself and accept it as normal when you make mistakes.

I maintain a good sense of humor, and a ton of indifference. What other people think of me is completely and totally irrelevant, as far as I'm concerned. I know who I am and what I'm worth. If somebody thinks poorly of me because I made a mistake due to overwork, sickness, or just being human, then that's on them. It's not my problem. Our paths will likely not cross again and regardless, I'll continue to surround myself with people whom I love and respect, and who love and respect me in return. Life goes on.

Very well said.

To add, it's also important to have a good sense of your "space" in relation to someone else, aka boundaries - knowing where you end and someone else begins. We all have little boxes around us - everyone (and their opinions, advice, criticism, the way they treat you, etc.) are only allowed to come so close to the box, but they can't cross any lines. Maintaining your sense of self as a distinct person with lines that aren't allowed to be crossed can help you be cognizant of what situations are and aren't worth eliciting an emotional response, OR how you can go about verbalizing why a behavior is unacceptable, why you won't tolerate it, and set/enforce limits.

Pharmacological approaches enable us to turn on the "I don't care" button in the brain. Having a healthy space/boundaries/etc. can teach us how to better access that button as well.

Huggs

Huggs

I'm getting used to the newest member of the team. A very large and burly woman, who has a bit of a cold streak. I can totally respect it though. Today, she was able to get behind me without me knowing. She began cracking her knuckles, and it sounded to me as though several large boulders were cascading down a hillside behind me. Just when I started to become slightly apprehensive about where I was standing, she made a loud slapping noise of some kind, and in a very low and gruff voice announced, "let's do this".

It was at that precise moment, I thought that I was to be molested. When she wrapped her hands around the sugar wafers, I knew I was safe. No, I mean there were sugar wafers, she grabbed a box of sugar waf...oh forget it.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 14, 2018, 03:04:48 AM
I'm getting used to the newest member of the team. A very large and burly woman, who has a bit of a cold streak. I can totally respect it though. Today, she was able to get behind me without me knowing. She began cracking her knuckles, and it sounded to me as though several large boulders were cascading down a hillside behind me. Just when I started to become slightly apprehensive about where I was standing, she made a loud slapping noise of some kind, and in a very low and gruff voice announced, "let's do this".

It was at that precise moment, I thought that I was to be molested. When she wrapped her hands around the sugar wafers, I knew I was safe. No, I mean there were sugar wafers, she grabbed a box of sugar waf...oh forget it.

Who says "Let's do this?" when just picking up a box of cookies?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Dec 14, 2018, 03:08:20 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 14, 2018, 03:04:48 AM

Who says "Let's do this?" when just picking up a box of cookies?

She has an intensity that can become infectious. She tolerates no bull, and gets it done. I dig working with her. But of course, we were all under the effects of severe Ammonia exposure. Another coworker busted 2 full bottles in the center of our work area. I felt as though missiles had been fired up my nostrils, ridden by wild hooting greckin's(tm) that assailed the backs of my eyes with all manner of sharp and flaming instruments.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Glad I got to see my brother perform in the local Christmas show. It was beautiful and well put together. Lots of people. Lots of kids. Screaming kids. And people with no concept of space.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

One more working week then I'm on a freaking plane!  ;D

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Going to see Def Leppard tonight in Birmingham. Have been waiting three years to see them

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Have fun!

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Dec 17, 2018, 12:19:35 PMGoing to see Def Leppard tonight in Birmingham. Have been waiting three years to see them

Hope you had a good night!

Had a leak over my sofa where I had, amongst other things, a giant pile of AVP books, comics and DVDs pending finding somewhere to put them. Ruined a lot of insignificant paperwork but somehow managed to completely miss all the AVP stuff. Someone up there likes me.

Only thing that was even slightly affected was my Covenant Blu-ray, the slipcase for which is now a bit damp. No loss there :P

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The concert was f*****g fantastic. an epic show. Worth the wait and the support slot from Cheap Trick was just brilliant, even featured a surprise appearance from Roy Wood who sang

I Wish It Could Be Christmas, Everyday

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed