What made you happy today?

Started by Rick Grimes, Feb 08, 2013, 03:09:06 PM

Author
What made you happy today? (Read 590,449 times)

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 26, 2018, 10:26:02 PM
Family is everything, never miss an opportunity to spend time with your loved ones.

True. I thought I was going to be fine without my family while at boot camp. Not a chance. I cried every single day, every time I saw something that reminded me of home. Being so abruptly cut off and barred from communication was awful. I wish I had talked to somebody about that before going. I was worried all the time, had bad dreams, and overall felt like I didn't spend any time with my parents over the summer.

Did I go off on a tangent? I'm sorry.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Oct 26, 2018, 11:53:35 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Oct 26, 2018, 10:26:02 PM
Family is everything, never miss an opportunity to spend time with your loved ones.

Did I go off on a tangent? I'm sorry.

Don't be. When I was a kid, some of my closest friends would leave their families every year, and go to summer camps. My dad only asked me once, "do you want to go spend the summer at one of those place?". I said "to hell with that, let's me and you go fishing". Still don't regret it. They got poison ivy and saw each others dicks. I have a bunch of good memories of spending time with my father.

Huggs

Huggs

Got today off. First time I haven't had to work on Halloween in years.

Happy Halloween Everybody  :)

Watch out for Aliens and Predators in the Pumpkin Patch  ;)

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 02:21:54 PM

Congrats.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Huggs on Oct 31, 2018, 02:21:54 PM

Watch out for Aliens and Predators in the Pumpkin Patch  ;)

Happy Halloween!   I'll have to hunt down some popcorn treats! I miss those more the candy

Huggs

Huggs

Finally found my copy of "Alien: The Illustrated Story". It had been missing for weeks, but I found it.

MudButt

MudButt

Locked down a venue for the wedding. Should be a December wedding in 2019. Very excited  8)

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: MudButt on Nov 05, 2018, 07:51:29 PM
Locked down a venue for the wedding. Should be a December wedding in 2019. Very excited  8)

Is a blind Sam Jackson playing the organ? ;)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: MudButt on Nov 05, 2018, 07:51:29 PM

Congrats! Not too long left to go then!

Huggs

Huggs

Was driving across a bridge today, and a pile-up ensued.

I was headed into the big town again, looking for a present for a loved one who's sick. I had my cousin with me. We were crossing this bridge that's way high above the water. I was midway across the bridge, going slow. The opposite lane was at a total standstill, with traffic backed up all the way from where I was, to the light I had just left.

So halfway across this bridge, in the middle of all this traffic that's going nowhere, some idiot in a large white van decided to pull out into my lane. Of course, because nothing is safer than pulling into oncoming traffic in the middle of an old two-lane bridge that sits 500ft above the water.
So I see him pulling into our lane, and I immediately start to slow down. I was the lead car in my lane, so I if he came at me, it's me that he's gonna hit first.

So I've slowed down, and colorfully expressed my disapproval of his behavior to my cousin. Well, lo and behold, he jerks the wheel and pulls back into his own lane. So I let off the brake and continue my roll forward, getting ready to hit the gas and go on my way. We were about 25ft away from the van at that point. Well, then it happened. BOOM! The guy coming up behind the van slammed into him at speed. I've seen a slow wreck, this was not that. The back of the van came slightly off the ground and the front end turned down and alittle to the left. The van was slammed forward into the car in front of it, basically totaling the rear of the car.

There was metal and plastic flying everywhere. Then there was another loud boom, and the cars just looked like they were exploding. Boom! Boom! Boom! I've seen less metal flying around in a tornado. Now I know what people mean about it happening in slow motion, it seemed like it took forever. So when everything was on the ground, and all went quiet, I rolled down the window. I was beside the first car with the rear end damage. I asked if everybody was alright, but apparently there were children in the backseat and they were all screaming and freaking out. That car was torn up pretty bad, but the kids seemed okay.

So I slowly drove forward and checked with all the cars involved and everybody said they were okay. Bless this one old man, he was just sitting there in his vehicle all dazed. I pointed at him and hollered "You alright brother?" He just looked around and said "Well, I guess I'm about as good as I'm gonna be". But as for the cars, it just got messier the further we drove on. Then people started yelling at each other. Some guy yelled, "What the hell is wrong with you!" at the guy responsible.

At that point, I had to make a decision. I had a lot of traffic coming up behind me and I noticed we were blocking the entrances for EMS vehicles. So I made the choice to creep forward off the bridge and call 911. I told them there was a pile-up, and where. That I was not involved or injured, and then I gave a full statement over the phone. I asked them if they needed me to pull over and speak to someone. And made sure I was legally allowed to proceed, as I did not want to leave the scene of an accident and be charged. After inquiring my name, the dispatcher thanked me for informing them, and told me I was good to go. We passed the EMS station a few minutes later as they were pulling out. My cousin was wondering why I bothered calling it in, and I told him it's not only the right thing to do, but it's easy to find your ass in trouble. We needed to clear out, but I needed to call and inform them why.

So what is there to be happy about? Well, he didn't crash into us when he came into my lane, nobody was killed, and for being right up on that God-awful mess, we weren't injured. That's good enough for me.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 10, 2018, 11:57:36 PM
Was driving across a bridge today, and a pile-up ensued.

I was headed into the big town again, looking for a present for a loved one who's sick. I had my cousin with me. We were crossing this bridge that's way high above the water. I was midway across the bridge, going slow. The opposite lane was at a total standstill, with traffic backed up all the way from where I was, to the light I had just left.

So halfway across this bridge, in the middle of all this traffic that's going nowhere, some idiot in a large white van decided to pull out into my lane. Of course, because nothing is safer than pulling into oncoming traffic in the middle of an old two-lane bridge that sits 500ft above the water.
So I see him pulling into our lane, and I immediately start to slow down. I was the lead car in my lane, so I if he came at me, it's me that he's gonna hit first.

So I've slowed down, and colorfully expressed my disapproval of his behavior to my cousin. Well, lo and behold, he jerks the wheel and pulls back into his own lane. So I let off the brake and continue my roll forward, getting ready to hit the gas and go on my way. We were about 25ft away from the van at that point. Well, then it happened. BOOM! The guy coming up behind the van slammed into him at speed. I've seen a slow wreck, this was not that. The back of the van came slightly off the ground and the front end turned down and alittle to the left. The van was slammed forward into the car in front of it, basically totaling the rear of the car.

There was metal and plastic flying everywhere. Then there was another loud boom, and the cars just looked like they were exploding. Boom! Boom! Boom! I've seen less metal flying around in a tornado. Now I know what people mean about it happening in slow motion, it seemed like it took forever. So when everything was on the ground, and all went quiet, I rolled down the window. I was beside the first car with the rear end damage. I asked if everybody was alright, but apparently there were children in the backseat and they were all screaming and freaking out. That car was torn up pretty bad, but the kids seemed okay.

So I slowly drove forward and checked with all the cars involved and everybody said they were okay. Bless this one old man, he was just sitting there in his vehicle all dazed. I pointed at him and hollered "You alright brother?" He just looked around and said "Well, I guess I'm about as good as I'm gonna be". But as for the cars, it just got messier the further we drove on. Then people started yelling at each other. Some guy yelled, "What the hell is wrong with you!" at the guy responsible.

At that point, I had to make a decision. I had a lot of traffic coming up behind me and I noticed we were blocking the entrances for EMS vehicles. So I made the choice to creep forward off the bridge and call 911. I told them there was a pile-up, and where. That I was not involved or injured, and then I gave a full statement over the phone. I asked them if they needed me to pull over and speak to someone. And made sure I was legally allowed to proceed, as I did not want to leave the scene of an accident and be charged. After inquiring my name, the dispatcher thanked me for informing them, and told me I was good to go. We passed the EMS station a few minutes later as they were pulling out. My cousin was wondering why I bothered calling it in, and I told him it's not only the right thing to do, but it's easy to find your ass in trouble. We needed to clear out, but I needed to call and inform them why.

So what is there to be happy about? Well, he didn't crash into us when he came into my lane, nobody was killed, and for being right up on that God-awful mess, we weren't injured. That's good enough for me.

I've seen idiots be indecisive about their lanes before, but haven't seen any accidents because of it. That's incredible on another level. Glad you and everyone involved are OK.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 11, 2018, 12:12:21 AM
I've seen idiots be indecisive about their lanes before, but haven't seen any accidents because of it. That's incredible on another level. Glad you and everyone involved are OK.

Yeah, it's one of the dumber things I've seen during my years on the road. Pulling into oncoming traffic on a two lane bridge is just nuts. I don't think he was trying to avoid the person behind him, because he went back into his own lane. Nevertheless, he still pulled in front of me when he could easily see me.

It makes no damn sense really. Somebody was being an idiot, and people could've been killed.

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 11, 2018, 12:25:24 AM

Yeah, it's one of the dumber things I've seen during my years on the road. Pulling into oncoming traffic on a two lane bridge is just nuts. I don't think he was trying to avoid the person behind him, because he went back into his own lane. Nevertheless, he still pulled in front of me when he could easily see me.

It makes no damn sense really. Somebody was being an idiot, and people could've been killed.

True.

Reminds me of when I was on a trip to NYC with a bus driver who had never driven in that kind of environment before. He hit two parked cars and mangled a bike in a rack.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 11, 2018, 12:30:12 AM

True.

Reminds me of when I was on a trip to NYC with a bus driver who had never driven in that kind of environment before. He hit two parked cars and mangled a bike in a rack.

Did you make any jokes about his "wanted" level?

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 11, 2018, 12:53:45 AM
Quote from: TheSailingRabbit on Nov 11, 2018, 12:30:12 AM

True.

Did you make any jokes about his "wanted" level?

Unfortunately, no. That was two years ago in high school. It taught me how vastly different upstate is from the city, though.

I just accepted a writing job, and I'm nervous and excited at the same time.

I browsed through some stuff on Google before coming across someone looking for a ghostwriter for videogame fiction. I applied and got a message not even an hour later, asking for sample writing. Lo and behold, they offered a contract for the first fourth of a manuscript (20 pages) and I accepted. The fact that this happened so quickly is mindboggling to me, and I'm not sure how to feel. Hey, it's a job. Hopefully this doesn't crash and burn like boot camp.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed