What made you a fan?

Started by Vader the White, Mar 10, 2007, 10:37:25 PM

Author
What made you a fan? (Read 155,514 times)

enypsrozar

enypsrozar

Watched Alien when I was a kid and it was terrifying. The surrealness, suspense and masterful directing of Alien and Aliens movies made me a fan of them. With Predator, it was the never-ending high-tech gadgets, the jungle setting, the cruel and calculated stalking by the predator... list goes on.

I can't think of 1 movie franchise that comes close to these 2 movies.

bloodheart

bloodheart

The commercial for the alien toy in 1979 that my Ma would not allow me to have because it would give me nightmares.  So naturally that got me interested even more. And then the alien toy egg they sold at toys r us.  Finally saw alien when I was 14 and got really hooked on the franchise after the alien burst out of Kane-best movie scene ever.

Yautja_Purist

Yautja_Purist

It was the summer of '93 I think, and I was at a family gathering with my folks at my step-dad's cousin's lakeside house (Flathead Lake in Montana).  Jack busted out a VHS copy of PREDATOR and a few kids and I watched it and were enthralled.  Looking back on that first viewing I don't remember the profanity, I don't remember the gore, I remember Arnold being awesome, and the PREDATOR himself blowing my mind.  For a while that was the only time I'd ever seen the PREDATOR, and for the next school year I drew the poorest depictions of him until I got my first AVP comic (issue #1 of AVP: War).

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: bloodheart on Feb 08, 2014, 06:05:52 PM
The commercial for the alien toy in 1979 that my Ma would not allow me to have because it would give me nightmares.  So naturally that got me interested even more. And then the alien toy egg they sold at toys r us.  Finally saw alien when I was 14 and got really hooked on the franchise after the alien burst out of Kane-best movie scene ever.

Looking back it still amazes me how then hardcore gory R movies were marketed to little kids, but hey, a lot of them became diehard fans who stuck around for good

Eldritch_DM

Eldritch_DM

I remembered watching Aliens when I was around six or seven. Never got scared, I was hooked. Parent's didn't really approve of all the language in the movie but I never repeated any of it. I loved the look of the xenos and started drawing them and what not. I started looking for comic books and got them when ever I could then in the early 90's the Kenner toyline dropped. It all went down hill from there. I've been a fan ever since.

I think it was the "monsters" as a kid, and the love of scary movies. I never got scared from watching these movies even with all the gore. I couldn't understand why my friends of the same age would get scared or why their parents never let them watch them. lol

locdasmoke

locdasmoke

I've been a fan of Aliens and Predator since the 80's and became a hardcore fan of the series after the first AVP comic in 1989-1990 and ever since then, I've been hooked on the series

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

My mother took me to see Aliens when I was a kid, opening night, line around the block... been hooked every since.

LastSurvivor92

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Lord-Naraku on Jul 16, 2014, 01:58:18 PM
I think it was the "monsters" as a kid, and the love of scary movies. I never got scared from watching these movies even with all the gore. I couldn't understand why my friends of the same age would get scared or why their parents never let them watch them. lol

Same here man. I grew up watching movies like Jaws and Jurassic Park. I was obsessed with monster movies and dinosaurs. That was my shit back than.  :laugh: My friends parents would never let them watch them with me or the people I would try to show the Alien movies to they wouldn't want to watch them because they were either too scared or mostly because they don't watch any films beyond the early 2000's. I discovered the movies when I was 12. My friends told me I had to watch the first Alien. They were just like, "You have to see this." Ever since I've seen the first Alien I was hooked.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

On an odd note, I had a dream last night about holding down a facehugger and a nearby farmer got a pocketknife and cut it up, with acid going everywhere but not melting anything. ???

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Aug 09, 2014, 12:19:35 AM
On an odd note, I had a dream last night about holding down a facehugger and a nearby farmer got a pocketknife and cut it up, with acid going everywhere but not melting anything. ???

wow.. I have yet to dream of aliens... I am not a true fan, lol.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: Mr. Sin on Aug 09, 2014, 12:33:29 AM

The end of the dream had Judah Friedlander as a police officer crawling on the ground then questioning me :laugh:

Jurassic Park themed dreams are my favorite ;) Actually have had JP dreams of watching the movie (sometimes in a completely different format/themes/scenes) with self thought deleted/extended scenes. Maybe this is a glance into another dimension of another universe?

Mr. Sin

Mr. Sin

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Aug 09, 2014, 01:12:18 AM

The end of the dream had Judah Friedlander as a police officer crawling on the ground then questioning me :laugh:

Jurassic Park themed dreams are my favorite ;) Actually have had JP dreams of watching the movie (sometimes in a completely different format/themes/scenes) with self thought deleted/extended scenes. Maybe this is a glance into another dimension of another universe?

Holy crap. You need to write them down and get universal to make them into a movie if they are awesome.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: FiorinaFury161 on Aug 09, 2014, 01:12:18 AM

How much of the latter do you remember?!

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

Quote from: DoomRulz on Aug 11, 2014, 11:40:19 AM
How much of the latter do you remember?!
Let me dust off the subconsious memory files...

Part I: Dr. Grant and I are walking thru a glass sealed walkway near a jungle forest with the large electric fences up. A T-Rex stands up above the fence and knocks it down with a huge, threatening roar. We run down the walkway into a basement complex. There, it seems like an aquarium with Raptors sneaking out the corner of the facility. Then we go thru a trap door into the jungle confronting the Rex. We jump in a truck (?) and speed off into the nearby desert.

Part II: DELETED SCENE from JP: Nedry is talking to Hammond about the "debugging 3 million lines of code" speech then drifts into how far in debt he is and Hammond wants nothing of it. Muldoon in the distance is watching the GPS of the vehicle and has a laugh when he hears Hammond tapping his cane instead of listening to Nedry.

Part III: ALTERNATE SCENE from JP: Instead of the group proceeding into the lab (baby raptor scene), they walk outside and bash Hammond for what they have seen already. After Hammond insists that they calm down and give the facility a chance, they agree to disagree then go thru a few places before finally the lab and look at the cryo chamber before descending into the actual lab.

Lovely Maggot

Lovely Maggot

When I was a little kid one night I got up from my bed and went to my parents room, I noticed that they were watching something so I looked at the TV screen and I saw the chestburster scene  :D It left a huge mark in my memory and a few years later I rented Aliens and watched it with my cousins... good memories  ::)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed