What made you unhappy today?

Started by First Blood, Jan 18, 2013, 12:32:16 AM

Author
What made you unhappy today? (Read 593,833 times)

TheSailingRabbit

I still feel like this is a bad dream.

Huggs

Huggs

It'll be that way for a few days. But it does go away.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Got an email for a job interview. For a time 5 minutes after i read the email. 20 minutes away from where i read the email.

What kind of employer sends that kind of info at the last sodding minute

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

One you probably don't wanna work for.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Very true. Which is a shame as I've enjoyed eating there before. Guess thats the difference between Front of House type staff and Management

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 01, 2019, 11:43:41 PM
Everybody absorbs it differently.

There are also many factors that determine how our minds and bodies respond to it. Whether the person or pet had lived a full life or was young, how they died, where they died, etc.

When my grandfather died of Alzheimer's, the family was somewhat at peace because he was no longer suffering and we had been given years to mentally prepare ourselves. Very few of us cried. We were proud of him and the life he lived and were glad he was finally at peace. When my 16 year old dachshund died of kidney failure I cried like a baby for the whole evening but moved on the very next morning. A few months later, a relative died unexpectedly and in my arms at 2 o'clock in the morning. I didn't sleep for 40 hours, forgot entire days, and over the next two weeks I woke up covered in sweat and screaming into my own hands.

It's part of life, and it's one of those things that can easily get either worse or more tolerable as you encounter it.

Very true.

Personally I'm finding it harder as I get older and experience it more. Well, the first time I really came face to face with it was the hardest because it was my mother and totally out of the blue, and your statement "I didn't sleep for 40 hours, forgot entire days, and over the next two weeks I woke up covered in sweat and screaming into my own hands." nails that experience.

The next few deaths were various grandparents and a pet, all of whom were very old and tired and as you say, there's a certain peace and almost relief to that kind of death.

Then all the suicides started in my own age-group, and between a frankly shocking number of those in just a few years, and the mauling/slow death of another pet of mine most recently, my ability to handle it has just been worn down to nothing. Feels like I can't even be there for my friends when they experience bereavement any more, because the weight is too crushing now.

Huggs

Huggs

My condolences on the loss of your mother.

I think it gets harder for many people as they mature because they've had the opportunity to know people longer. When you lose somebody that's been in your life for 20 or 30 years, it's different than losing a person you knew for like 5 or 8.

I'm steadily becoming numb to it now. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's hard not to see that as a blessing sometimes.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Me too. 

One of the most painful experiences emotionally for me was the loss of my grandfather who had cancer in his spine that traveled to his brain.  It was a slow process where I witnessed my grandfather suffer from extreme physical pain but also saw his mind leave.  It was like he was aging backwards.  He went from knowing who everyone was, to thinking that dad and my mother weren't married yet, to wondering why we had to drive him back and forth from work (to and from the hospital) to being back in WWII where he would worry for our safety because he saw Germans in every pattern of architecture. 

When he died it was honestly a relief.  As an introverted person that whole experience was about a year long and brutal for me. 

But after that I learned how to guard against feeling the feels and could bury everything deep where it wouldn't bother me.

Not healthy I'm sure. 

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 02, 2019, 09:11:13 PM
My condolences on the loss of your mother.

I think it gets harder for many people as they mature because they've had the opportunity to know people longer. When you lose somebody that's been in your life for 20 or 30 years, it's different than losing a person you knew for like 5 or 8.

I'm steadily becoming numb to it now. I don't know if that's good or bad, but it's hard not to see that as a blessing sometimes.

You know I thought about this post quite a bit, I don't think it's the death itself that gets me, it's the being there for people. When there was a lot of suicide going on in my vicinity (to the point of three people I knew fairly well hanging themselves in the space of eight weeks during the worst of it), I was a rock for a lot of people who were hurting, and that's what I feel I can't do any more.

I'm not really sensitive about it any more, which isn't what a lot of people want or need during that time, so I feel obliged to bow out rather than appear "bored" by their grief, or having to pay hollow lip service to it. Which has started giving me a complex about the issue, because it does feel like abandoning people in their darkest hour, even if it's probably best for both parties. I've just spent too much time acting as a free therapist for my peers and can't/won't do it any more if it's about bereavement.

Huggs

Huggs

Had to deal with a prowler. And a stupid one at that. Though I doubt there is any other kind.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

A prowler?

The Old One

The Old One

It's really hot. Resulting in sunburn.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The waiting for this house move is killing me.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

More time to pack has to be a good thing at least!

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Unfortunately not as most of the available room is taken up by the new stuff brought for the house.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed