Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 287,737 times)

RidgeTop

Quote from: SiL on Sep 15, 2021, 09:29:56 PM
It wasn't even do better. It was just "go make your own art instead".

Because good art is something just anybody can do and takes no skill or practice or talent at all.

... Then again he's working with Larroca so maybe he actually thinks that :-\

Wasn't exact quoting there, should've specified, just kinda the attitude I took from it.

But yeah disheartening, especially continuing into the second arc. The main monthly series can't get a new artist fast enough. And I'd really like to see more creative teams in general working on different runs, as we used to get with Dark Horse.

Sabres21768

Yeah, if this is all it takes to draw for Marvel, then anyone can do it. It's ridiculous.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Sep 15, 2021, 10:29:56 PM
Yeah, if this is all it takes to draw for Marvel, then anyone can do it. It's ridiculous.

This is the thing I was most surprised by. Marvel has a ton more market share in the comic world than Dark Horse. Having not been that into Marvel comics growing up, I figured they'd have the best artists in the business. But seeing this lack of quality on a launch of a new series was quite surprising. It seems they're more focused on maintaining a release schedule than anything else.

Variant covers have been cool though. That's about all I can say for the current line.

Engineer

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 15, 2021, 11:22:47 PM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on Sep 15, 2021, 10:29:56 PM

This is the thing I was most surprised by. Marvel has a ton more market share in the comic world than Dark Horse. Having not been that into Marvel comics growing up, I figured they'd have the best artists in the business. But seeing this lack of quality on a launch of a new series was quite surprising. It seems they're more focused on maintaining a release schedule than anything else.

Variant covers have been cool though. That's about all I can say for the current line.

I grew up just as big of a fan of marvel and spider-man/venom as I was/am a fan of alien.
I stopped paying much attention to marvel about 15 to 20 years ago though. Revisiting marvel these days, I can honestly say they've changed a lot. I've heard that Disney was actually part of that change; it resulted in a shift in priorities.... More focus on monthly issues than on higher quality. That had an impact! The quality now is nowhere near what I grew up with! I also suspect that they put their top talent on their flagship IPs like spider-man. I don't think they'll ever put their best on a series like alien or predator, unfortunately. It's just not going to be as important to them as it was to dark horse...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 15, 2021, 10:25:48 PM
Wasn't exact quoting there, should've specified, just kinda the attitude I took from it.
I know you weren't, I was just commenting that his attitude was somehow even more obnoxious than that reply usually is.

Just awful all the way down.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Sep 15, 2021, 09:29:56 PMIt was just "go make your own art instead".

The irony of that statement coming from a man who literally takes movie stills and colourises them...

Nukiemorph

(This is the writer, not the artist.)

But I found it annoying how he didn't even address the issue - didn't defend Larroca. He just made it sound like PAS was attacking a fan just to be a dick.

I can't help but wonder if he's frustrated and gagged.

Xiggz456

Well PAS was being a top tier troll to someone who's enjoying the series. If you wanna troll than don't target some innocent person but go after the individual who you have an actual grievance with ffs. It came across as bitter and childish and all of y'all defending it are coming across the same way.

At the end of the day a lot of y'all are acting like high brow art snob elitists over a medium(comics) that's considered low brow art in the actual fine art circles (which I spend far too much time in as my wife is a full time artist who shows at fine art galleries).  When it comes to comics the most important aspect is that the art conveys the script, which Larroca achieves. Yes Larroca uses photoshopped assets to complete his panels but every piece is still an original composition that I highly doubt any of you could accomplish.

That's all I have left to say on the subject and if you feel like responding don't bother as I'm putting this thread on ignore after posting this. The anger and bitterness towards this whole run is the kind of toxic negativity that I prefer to avoid. Peace out y'all.

SiL

SiL

I appreciate this is being said into the void but I don't think "Please don't trace images to create laughable comic panels" is quite snobbish elitism.

BlueMarsalis79

Engineer

If it was just bad art, I wouldn't have anything to say. There've been plenty of bad artists who've worked on alien comics in the past. But the problem here isn't bad artwork; I don't even think photographing figures is really the problem. Photography is a form of artwork too after all (although I think his photography, when it IS photography, is bad too tbh).

The problem is that it's largely a misrepresentation of his work, and in many cases downright theft (see previous link about published DeviantArt watermark). The theft is what bothers me most. He's getting paid for someone else's work, while the real artist isn't getting paid at all. When I see that take place, or someone like Greg Land steal from Tristan Jones, I see hypocrisy and immorality. Disney (the parent company) is supposed to be a family-brand right? Well, when they let marvel off the hook after one of their artists is called out for theft and that artist goes on unpunished, what message is that sending to younger audiences? At the college level and in grade school, plagiarism has serious consequences (and yes tracing someone else's art is in fact a form of plagiarism), so to me the message they're sending to my kids is that plagiarism is ok.

My son has shown an interest in comics and art; in comic book art specifically. Like any good parent I try to encourage his interests. He's enjoying the marvel alien series. I have not stood in the way of his enjoyment of the series. However, I do show him where plagiarism is taking place and teach him why it's wrong because I don't want him to grow up thinking that it is ok. If that makes me toxic, then so be it. Personally, I think when marvel, and by extension Disney (or any comic book company for that matter), allow plagiarism to go unpunished they're creating toxicity for the real creators out there who are trying to make a living.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Jesus Xiggz456 you will do anything to defend this series. You can super f**k off with that post.

Bye

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Sep 16, 2021, 11:51:27 AM
Well PAS was being a top tier troll to someone who's enjoying the series. If you wanna troll than don't target some innocent person but go after the individual who you have an actual grievance with ffs. It came across as bitter and childish and all of y'all defending it are coming across the same way.

At the end of the day a lot of y'all are acting like high brow art snob elitists over a medium(comics) that's considered low brow art in the actual fine art circles (which I spend far too much time in as my wife is a full time artist who shows at fine art galleries).  When it comes to comics the most important aspect is that the art conveys the script, which Larroca achieves. Yes Larroca uses photoshopped assets to complete his panels but every piece is still an original composition that I highly doubt any of you could accomplish.

That's all I have left to say on the subject and if you feel like responding don't bother as I'm putting this thread on ignore after posting this. The anger and bitterness towards this whole run is the kind of toxic negativity that I prefer to avoid. Peace out y'all.

The author often comes back to check reactions in these cases, and the likely chance that you do Xiggz456, please free to express your opinions, but please do so without insulting other community members.

With any topic, there's always a chance someone may not agree with you. Let's all remember to take a step back from any topic we're passionate about, if you sense you're starting to feel heated towards others when discussing the issue, especially if others do not see it your way. Remember we're all fans here and these discussions are meant for enjoyment. Let's keep it cordial and fun! Thanks!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 16, 2021, 02:32:14 PMIf it was just bad art, I wouldn't have anything to say.

The problem is that it's largely a misrepresentation of his work, and in many cases downright theft (see previous link about published DeviantArt watermark).

This.

I said before, I actually don't mind the art style, it's the shitty tracing and especially the plagiarism I can't abide.

426Buddy

Turns out Xiggz is Larroca :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed