Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 288,244 times)

Xiggz456

His opinion and your opinion are just that and there's no right or wrong here just preference.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Oh I think this story is just as bad as rescue if not worse, difference being that rescue wasn't the flagship story for starting anew under Marvel.

Also the complete lack of any artistic integrity with Marvel's series. I'll take bad art over whatever it is this series is calling its images.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 26, 2021, 03:46:43 PM
I'll take bad art over whatever it is this series is calling its images.

Yeah, that's the thing. It's not like this is an art style that I'm just not liking, 'cause if that's all it was then whatever, some art works for some people and not others, and that's totally ok! I'd love for that to be the case, honestly, because it would mean they're trying out actual different art styles for different stories.

But this isn't thing with an art style that I'm just not liking; the run's "art" has quite literally just been a collection of poorly Photoshopped in/traced over images. I mean, come on:

Spoiler

[close]

And these are the two pages in the issue that I actually found to be interesting! :D

BlueMarsalis79

I hesitate to even call it art frankly.

Xiggz456

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 26, 2021, 03:46:43 PM
Oh I think this story is just as bad as rescue if not worse, difference being that rescue wasn't the flagship story for starting anew under Marvel.

Also the complete lack of any artistic integrity with Marvel's series. I'll take bad art over whatever it is this series is calling its images.

Completely disagree, from the 2x large earth like planet whose gravity somehow didn't crush people to the three queens in one nest to the rockslide that wiped out all the aliens, Rescue was just bad idea after bad idea. I also recall you saying that you weren't going to read this series, so did you change your mind and read all 6 issues? Genuinely curious.

426Buddy

426Buddy

No I have not purchased this series, however this is 2021 and you can get any and all story details on the internet. Also images of the art can be found everywhere.

I read a buddies copy of the first issue though and it was as bad and cringworthy as I assumed.

Also my choice to quit collecting starting with Marvel's run has been a great sadness for me.  I do hope they get a new creative team some day, maybe I'll give them another shot.

Nightmare Asylum

I think the writing has improved a bit as of issues 5 and 6. It is still riddled with wonky, irritating stuff but there aresome neat ideas being thrown around in the latter two issues as well. And the second arc sounds more interesting than the first so here's hoping for more of an upward slide narratively.

Just... please, for the love of God. Get an artist that will at least attempt to draw.

Xiggz456

The Perfect Organism Podcast has spoiler full interview with author Phillip Kennedy Johnson.

https://www.perfectorganism.com/home/2021/8/25/171-discussing-the-first-complete-arc-of-marvels-alien-with-writer-phillip-kennedy-johnson

This is my first time listening to one of their podcasts but their thoughts pretty much echo mine when it comes to this first arc.

Some interesting tidbits include that the third arc
Spoiler
will revolve around the free synthetics that Iris and the Minute Hand Movement represented and that it will be longer than a six issue arc.
[close]
Also Johnson stated that he was disappointed in the lack of communication with the developers at Cold Iron as he wants the stories to work together and not contradict one another (I'm still on level one on the game so I can't speak on whether they work or not). He also said creative teams are moved around based on sales and that everyone at Marvel has been pleasantly surprised at how well the comic is selling.

426Buddy

QuoteHe also said creative teams are moved around based on sales and that everyone at Marvel has been pleasantly surprised at how well the comic is selling

Well thats devestating :'(

Nightmare Asylum

The third arc's premise intrigues me.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 28, 2021, 01:41:52 PM
QuoteHe also said creative teams are moved around based on sales and that everyone at Marvel has been pleasantly surprised at how well the comic is selling

Well thats devestating :'(

The Marvel Alien launch debuting at #1 was a huge success, absolutely. But with issue #5 being 42nd in sales and 53rd in sales dollars, it needs to bottom out and stop the month-to-month drop soon or there will definitely be changes announced I wager by the end of the year.

Nightmare Asylum

Crossing my fingers in hopes that a change does indeed get announced resulting in the comic getting a new an actual artist for the third arc.

judge death

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 28, 2021, 03:08:25 PM
Crossing my fingers in hopes that a change does indeed get announced resulting in the comic getting a new an actual artist for the third arc.
that, with a real artist and a stop to this nonstop tracing and stealing art and a new writer who understands the franchise and write good dialog and converstations than this crap we have. Alex white please or defiance writer or earthw ar or labyrinth writer please?

Lol so now that marvel writer wants to influence games and change their lore to fit marvels comics, no thanks.

Nightmare Asylum

I'm willing to give the writer another couple arcs. The writing has absolutely been messy but issues 5 and 6 started opening a few potentially interesting doors about where things could go, what with the Prometheus-esque elements coming into play and the  "freed" androids – I want to see if maybe he can perhaps do something a bit stronger than his initial six issues in his next arc now that his intro arc is behind him.

But for the love of God, Larroca has to go. There isn't even anything resembling an attempt on Larroca's end.

Defiance also had pretty bad writing (and Brian Wood's a piece of shit person), though Tristan Jones' art on his issues was excellent and some of the best art in an Aliens comic, and Earth War is pretty bland in my opinion.

Alex White is easily the best person writing non-filmed Alien material at the moment, though I'd rather have a new novel from Alex than a comic; a novel suits their writing style better. 

Engineer

QuoteAlso Johnson stated that he was disappointed in the lack of communication with the developers at Cold Iron as he wants the stories to work together and not contradict one another.

I have a hard time believing this one. Maybe Phillip Kennedy Johnson was out of the loop and it was someone higher up the corporate ladder making decisions (very believable imo), but considering Cold Iron was previously coordinating with Dark Horse, as well as continued coordinating with Titan and Free League, I have my doubts that coordinating with Marvel was where they decided to draw the line. I'm betting that it was someone who didn't want Cold Iron and their WIP to be dictating what the comics were allowed to do. I'm speculating, sure, but that just seems far more likely given the level of cooperation that was taking place right up to the point Marvel took over the comics. Maybe someone will ask Cold Iron for their side of the story there and we'll get some clarifications on that...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed