Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 287,856 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Some shockingly intetesting stuff in the couple pages riffing on the Prometheus angle in today's issue. The rest of the writing was pretty on par with the first five issues.

"Art" remains shit, of course.

Xiggz456

Just read through Issue 6 and I'm pretty happy with the conclusion of this first arc. It's certainly a step up from the last original comic story "Rescue". In particular the pacing of the story worked so much better for me. 6 issues allowed the comic to match the pace of a film much more closely than the 4 issue stories that we're used to.

Spoiler
I called it on Iris being a synthetic! She had a lot of interesting dialogue that surprised me as there was some full on reference to Prometheus going on! I also appreciate Gabe sacrificing himself at the end to save Danny. Also I was pumped that the cat lived lol until that last panel!
[close]

All in all I would recommend giving this first arc a read and I look forward to the start of the next arc.

Sabres21768

My only question...

Spoiler
Where the f@(% did the cat come from?
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Aug 25, 2021, 08:33:33 PM
My only question...

Spoiler
Where the f@(% did the cat come from?
[close]

Spoiler
It was there in an earlier issue (I think issue 1 actually) as the pet of one of the workers on the station if I recall correctly.
[close]

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Yes

Spoiler
The cat "Stubs" was in issues 1, 3, 5 and 6
[close]

Issue 5 was the 28th best seller among Diamond distributed comics (which no longer includes DC comics) and sold 49,616 units. Also, the Aliens one shot ranked 33rd (17th in dollars though) with 47,090 units sold.

For comparison The Original Screenplay issue 5 ranked in at 147th. Meanwhile Issue 5 of Defiance was 186th best seller with 9,719 units sold.

Sabres21768

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Aug 25, 2021, 09:40:52 PM
Yes

Spoiler
[close]

Issue 5 was the 28th best seller among Diamond distributed comics (which no longer includes DC comics) and sold 49,616 units. Also, the Aliens one shot ranked 33rd (17th in dollars though) with 47,090 units sold.

For comparison The Original Screenplay issue 5 ranked in at 147th. Meanwhile Issue 5 of Defiance was 186th best seller with 9,719 units sold.
Well, that shows how much I paid attention.
Bit of a trope, that one.

Camarguess

How is everybody feeling about the SIL (species) looking character? I dig it! I hope that becomes a thing in this series. Both are Giger designs, both aesthetically look like they belong in the same universe, and both are driven by the same purpose. To propagate the species. I've been enjoying the series so far (I try not to let the art get me down 😁) and I'm excited for the next arc. Hopefully we get to see more alien variations. Don't get me wrong, I love the original designs, but one of the Aliens' biggest strengths is their ability to incorporate their hosts genetic traits into their own to better adapt to the local environment, and I feel this neat ability needs to be shown more.

Nukiemorph

Well hopefully
Spoiler
Cruz is dead and we won't have to see Larocca's face as a main character anymore.

With that conclusion and the "END CHAPTER ONE" on the last panel, it seems obvious that Danny and Bishop will unintentionally bring the outbreak to the farm planet in issue 7.
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yes

Spoiler
[close]

I think the sales have more to do with the Marvel brand name than anything else.

Quality certainly isn't driving the sales here that's for sure. :laugh:

Xiggz456

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 26, 2021, 11:25:49 AM
Yes

Spoiler
[close]

I think the sales have more to do with the Marvel brand name than anything else.

Either way I love to see any Alien content sell well as it ensures future stories. As for quality, the story is leaps and bounds better than the dud known as "Rescue". As for art... well that opinion is in the eye of the beholder so as much as folks on here rail about it, the art isn't exactly a quantifiable metric for "quality".

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 426Buddy on Aug 26, 2021, 11:25:49 AM

For sure. I know someone that never touched a Dark Horse Aliens issue in his life buying the Marvel run monthly (despite not even really caring for it!) as if it being Marvel somehow legitimizes it more than what came before.

Xiggz456

Yes Marvel has a much higher readership which allows it to better market/advertise new titles. But now we have 4-5X more people reading Alien Expanded Universe material. Which in turn could increase interest among the novels, games etc which leads to even more future content from all avenues of storytelling. At the end of the day, these sales are proof that the beast is far from cooked.

Nightmare Asylum

In the case of this comic, far from cooked indeed. More half-baked, if I'm being honest. I'd happily wait longer between issues if it meant I got to see some actual art in the pages I'm reading.

Xiggz456

And you are entitled to that opinion  :)

BlueMarsalis79

He's right.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed