Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 288,240 times)

Xiggz456

I have zero issue with the writing on this one. I like the company man perspective as well as the flashback sequences. But there's still two issues to go so we'll soon see how strong the arc finishes out.

SM

SM

Xenomorph isn't usually used as a species name.  It's simply more specific to use.  Can't really comment on the writing of the new comics.

Quote from: Xiggz456 on May 28, 2021, 01:15:28 AM
"Xenomorphs" have also been used in countless stories. Pretty sure Brian Wood had Davis "come up" with the name Xenomorph in both Defiance and Resistance as if Zula forgot the name the first time they came up with it  :laugh:

I bloody told them that when it was being written.  Dumb mistake.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Trash Queen on May 27, 2021, 07:50:15 PMI miss the unique styles each artist brought to the table in Dark Horse a lot, especially now, Marvel's homogeneous look to the universe I do not appreciate.

Is this really a fair comment when we've had one comic from them? Who's to say what style subsequent stories will go with.

BlueMarsalis79

True but I'm basing that perspective on Marvel's Star Wars that this emulates in a lot of respects, and partially as a response to people saying this comes across as more authentic to the film aesthetic, I'm saying I don't think that's worth a damn for the fact we might never get such a superb variety of artists and their particular takes again that I have always valued over adherence to a shared look.

Xiggz456

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 28, 2021, 08:11:15 AM
Quote from: Trash Queen on May 27, 2021, 07:50:15 PMI miss the unique styles each artist brought to the table in Dark Horse a lot, especially now, Marvel's homogeneous look to the universe I do not appreciate.

Is this really a fair comment when we've had one comic from them? Who's to say what style subsequent stories will go with.

Exactly! Especially considering we have the double sized one shot "Aliens: Aftermath" coming out July 14th with a completely different creative team.

Nightmare Asylum

I feel like the art in that one-shot is going to be our first real glimpse into how varied Marvel is going to let these art styles be between titles; really crossing my fingers, though what I've seen of the current crop of Marvel Star Wars comics doesn't exactly fill me with hope.

BlueMarsalis79

Two weeks before my birthday I'm such a lucky duck.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 28, 2021, 01:28:51 PMI feel like the art in that one-shot is going to be our first real glimpse into how varied Marvel is going to let these art styles be between titles.

Yeah, but let's also not forget the first two Dark Horse comics - Outbreak and Theory of Alien Propagation - both used the same art team.

hawkangel

https://screenrant.com/marvel-alpha-alien-xenomorph-predator-hybrid-avp-requiem/

Did anyone else read the scene this way?
This is how I saw it :

Spoiler
The baby Xeno gets stuck in the "cage", realises it can't exit out the chest, retreats back into the body and out the mouth. ie There was only one chest bursted. Not multiple. 
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 28, 2021, 03:11:12 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 28, 2021, 01:28:51 PMI feel like the art in that one-shot is going to be our first real glimpse into how varied Marvel is going to let these art styles be between titles.

Yeah, but let's also not forget the first two Dark Horse comics - Outbreak and Theory of Alien Propagation - both used the same art team.

I think we know it's a different writer and artist.

Quote from: hawkangel on May 28, 2021, 04:01:30 PM
https://screenrant.com/marvel-alpha-alien-xenomorph-predator-hybrid-avp-requiem/

This is how I saw it :

Spoiler
The baby Xeno gets stuck in the "cage", realises it can't exit out the chest, retreats back into the body and out the mouth. ie There was only one chest bursted. Not multiple. 
[close]

Yeah, that's exactly what happened. It pulled off a Six from AvP 20210. They completely misunderstood that.

hawkangel

hawkangel

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 26, 2021, 08:49:24 AM

I'm still enjoying the story though.
Spoiler
Cool to see where the hosts of the hooved Alien now. I liked the callback to Alien 3 re: the marks on their faces, but having it carry to the human hosts didn't sit right with me. 
[close]

Didn't some comics do this too? I remember the first Superman/Aliens did the "marks on the face" thing as well unless I'm mistaken.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: hawkangel on May 28, 2021, 04:01:30 PM

This is how I saw it :

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler

I interpreted it as 2, but looking at it again I can see how it could be interpreted as one that made a maneuver to find a new escape route.

If it was just one, then I'd say the visual-story-telling here was not as effective as it could/should have been.
[close]

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 28, 2021, 03:11:12 PM

In this case, they've already announced that Aliens: Aftermath will be written by Benjamin Percy and illustrated by Dave *Wachter (auto-correct fail).

RidgeTop

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 27, 2021, 09:23:49 PM
Really hope they go with a new artist once this arc is up.

Agreed. The lackluster quality of the line art has really sabotaged this first comic. Issue #3 has made it clear that Larroca just can't do Aliens. They're so obviously toys, and not posed beyond what the toys can manage. Even in the same panel, the big chap obviously referenced from the Hot Toys figure (with its less than screen accurate sculpt), changes its reference in the next panel, showing a completely different face design.

Engineer

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 28, 2021, 05:09:40 PM

Agreed. The lackluster quality of the line art has really sabotaged this first comic. Issue #3 has made it clear that Larroca just can't do Aliens. They're so obviously toys, and not posed beyond what the toys can manage. Even in the same panel, the big chap obviously referenced from the Hot Toys figure (with its less than screen accurate sculpt), changes its reference in the next panel, showing a completely different face design.

I've looked into Dave Wachter for the "aftermath" one shot. He seems to be a pretty good artist, and I don't see any past accusations of art theft, tracing, or photoshopping on his record. So that's a plus. I'm hesitant about the story/synopsis on this one though, and the glowing white alien on the cover puts my expectations on the lower-side. But if the art is better on this one shot, even if everything else turns out to be lackluster, then it'll already be an improvement over the current series imo.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Engineer on May 28, 2021, 05:34:34 PM
Quote from: RidgeTop on May 28, 2021, 05:09:40 PM

I've looked into Dave Wachter for the "aftermath" one shot. He seems to be a pretty good artist, and I don't see any past accusations of art theft, tracing, or photoshopping on his record. So that's a plus. I'm hesitant about the story/synopsis on this one though, and the glowing white alien on the cover puts my expectations on the lower-side. But if the art is better on this one shot, even if everything else turns out to be lackluster, then it'll already be an improvement over the current series imo.

Yeah I'm looking forward to Aftermath. Looked up Watcher's stuff as well and I dig his art. The Godzilla and TMNT stuff in particular was really well done.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed