Ripley returns for Jones and other Alien saga weirdos: In defence of Prometheus.

Started by Ingwar, Nov 27, 2016, 09:29:32 PM

Author
Ripley returns for Jones and other Alien saga weirdos: In defence of Prometheus. (Read 21,266 times)

Ingwar

Some Alien fans and other Sci-Fi maniacs don't like/hate Prometheus for its, in their opinion, plot-holes and stupidity. Some people don't like/hate Prometheus because they had too much expectations about it and they didn't receive what they really wanted. Advice: don't expect too much (I know how hard it is) and just go with the flow. It will happen to Covenant as well. Just wait and see.

Let's look at my top 3 unfair accusations of "infamous" Prometheus:

1. How geologist Fifield gets lost?
Fifield activates his pups in order to analyse and virtually map the entire temple. He doesn't have the map. The Map is on the ship with Janek and Vickers. Saying that geologist shouldn't get lost because he is a geologist isn't logical.

2. Why biologist Millburn grabs hammerpede (space cobra)?
Ask "The Crocodile Hunter" Steve Irwin or "The Grizzly Man" Timothy Treadwell.

3. Why Vickers and Shaw run in a straight line away from a rolling Juggernaut?
Panic attack obviously. Besides, there is particular scene when they try to run sideways but debris make them run in straight line again.

I personally like Prometheus. It's not a masterpiece for sure but it's still a good movie (7/10). Does it contain flaws? Absolutely. Every movie does. No movie is perfect. Even Alien movies.

In Alien:

1. Dallas enters Nostromo's ventilation shaft. He does it with home-made flamethrower to fight with unknown alien life-form. Hmm.

2. Ripley returns for Jones. She does it after initiating the self-destruct sequence. Isn't it stupid and irrational? Do Alien fan complain? Nope.

In Aliens:

1. How does the Queen enter the shuttle of Sulaco? It's not shown in the movie but realistically speaking there was no time for her to do it. Do fans complain? Again: no.

2. Ripley battles the Queen using cargo-loader. The two of them tumble into a large airlock, which Ripley then opens, expelling the Queen into space. Exhausted Ripley clambers (she must be bloody strong) to safety. This is probably the most unrealistic scene (but I love it) in all five Alien movies. Do fans say anything? Not really. Why? Because it's a classic.

Question: What are yours most favourite irrational and illogical scenes from Alien saga?

I also recommend this blog:
http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/death-by-thousand-nitpicks-prometheus.html

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 27, 2016, 09:29:32 PM
Fifield activates his pups in order to analyse and virtually map the entire temple. He doesn't have the map. The Map is on the ship with Janek and Vickers. Saying that geologist shouldn't get lost because he is a geologist isn't logical.

Except that in the script they had map readers with them. Fifield just forgot to take a map reader with him in his haste to get outside. And even if they didn't have map readers they could just have asked Janek to guide them outside again. They never had any communication problems with the ship even during the storm.

It's just bad writing.

Quote2. Why biologist Millburn grabs hammerpede (space cobra)?

It's still f'king stupid. Just because other people have done stupid things doesn't make his actions any less stupid.

Quote3. Why Vickers and Shaw run in a straight line away from a rolling Juggernaut?
Panic attack obviously. Besides, there is particular scene when they try to run sideways but debris make them run in straight line again.

It's probably safe to assume that 100,000 long tons bearing down on you is a considerably greater threat than scattered debris falling alongside that particular threat. Can't recall either of them ever attempting to run sideways.

Quote1. Dallas enters Nostromo's ventilation shaft. He does it with home-made flamethrower to fight with unknown alien life-form. Hmm.

They had no other option, they had to flush the Alien out. Dallas was armed and they were tracking the Alien. It's not stupid.

Quote2. Ripley returns for Jones. She does it after initiating the self-destruct sequence. Isn't it stupid and irrational? Do Alien fan complain? Nope.

No, she returns for Jones before she initiates the self-destruct sequence. At that point Ripley, Parker and Lambert were still preparing to evacuate the ship. She had plenty of time to return for Jones.

Quote1. How does the Queen enter the shuttle of Sulaco? It's not shown in the movie but realistically speaking there was no time for her to do it. Do fans complain? Again: no.

The Queen hides in the landing gear compartment. Plenty of time and opportunity to do so.

windebieste

I can agree on point 3.  Vickers and Shaw run in a straight line away from a rolling Juggernaut simply because there is nowhere else to run.  Debris from the shattered Prometheus is raining down hard to either side.  There is quite literally no place to go.  Ironically enough, the only place that's safe from instant death is in the shelter of the giant rolling object that threatens to crush them. 

I don't think neither the Crocodile Hunter nor the Grizzly Man is an adequate comparison.  Besides, didn't both of these people die from animal attacks, anyway?  So much for the comparison.  You're spot on there.  We never see any indication whatsoever of Milburn's ability to interact with untamed wildlife, terrestrial or otherwise.  For all we know, the only interaction he's ever done is watch goldfish in a tank.

Janek asks Fifield for his co-ordinates.  I could never figure out how he was lost if his co-ordinates were known...  gah. So stupid.

-Windebieste.

The Alien Predator

Whenever I watch the scene in the Atmospheric Processor, when the Shuttle leaves, I keep paying close attention in the hopes that I might see the Queen hanging on somewhere.  :laugh:

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: windebieste on Nov 27, 2016, 10:03:47 PM
I don't think neither the Crocodile Hunter nor the Grizzly Man is an adequate comparison.  Besides, didn't both of these people die from animal attacks, anyway?  So much for the comparison.  You're spot on there.  We never see any indication whatsoever of Milburn's ability to interact with untamed wildlife, terrestrial or otherwise.  For all we know, the only interaction he's ever done is watch goldfish in a tank.

I agree with John Kenneth Muir's point:

"The two scientists who encounter the snake alien don't show enough fear while facing it.  Well, they look pretty terrified to me.  One way to interpret their panicky behavior is that they are attempting to quiet the beast -- in case it is afraid of them.  It's like being faced with a wild tiger in the jungle.  Do you scream at the top of your lungs and scare it?  Run away suddenly, basically daring it to strike?  Or do you address the threat...soothingly?  "It's okay, it's okay...shhhh, it's okay...relax...we're not going to hurt you."  No, not a perfect response by any means, but an understandable and absolutely human one.  And one that ends badly, of course.  Is it so hard to believe?"

http://reflectionsonfilmandtelevision.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/death-by-thousand-nitpicks-prometheus.html

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 27, 2016, 09:56:28 PM

Except that in the script they had map readers with them. Fifield just forgot to take a map reader with him in his haste to get outside. And even if they didn't have map readers they could just have asked Janek to guide them outside again. They never had any communication problems with the ship even during the storm.

It's just bad writing.

I don't care about the script. If I go to cinema or watch movie at home I do it without the script. Movie is to be watched not to be read.
Why asking Janek? Probably proud and angry Fifield was pretty sure the way out but he got lost. Scientist are people.

It's still f'king stupid. Just because other people have done stupid things doesn't make his actions any less stupid.

I didn't say it wasn't stupid. It was human. Besides, if he didn't touch it then they wouldn't get killed. Alien movies are about getting yourself killed.

Quote3. Why Vickers and Shaw run in a straight line away from a rolling Juggernaut?

It's probably safe to assume that 100,000 long tons bearing down on you is a considerably greater threat than scattered debris falling alongside that particular threat. Can't recall either of them ever attempting to run sideways.

I would probably shit myself in this situation. Shaw and Vickers are not Marines.

Quote1. Dallas enters Nostromo's ventilation shaft. He does it with home-made flamethrower to fight with unknown alien life-form. Hmm.

They had no other option, they had to flush the Alien out. Dallas was armed and they were tracking the Alien. It's not stupid.

There is always an option. Armed with what? Corny flamethrower. It was very stupid ... but human.

Quote2. Ripley returns for Jones. She does it after initiating the self-destruct sequence. Isn't it stupid and irrational? Do Alien fan complain? Nope.

No, she returns for Jones before she initiates the self-destruct sequence. At that point Ripley, Parker and Lambert were still preparing to evacuate the ship. She had plenty of time to return for Jones.

My bad. But even though, returning for your cat and knowing that an Alien is somewhere near is quite ... stupid.

Quote1. How does the Queen enter the shuttle of Sulaco? It's not shown in the movie but realistically speaking there was no time for her to do it. Do fans complain? Again: no.

The Queen hides in the landing gear compartment. Plenty of time and opportunity to do so.

There is no way the Queen could get to Sulaco. It was very cheesy but I like it anyway.

SM

Quote1. How geologist Fifield gets lost?

That whole thing was very silly.
As soon as they got lost, they could've radioed Janek to get him to guide them via the 3D map that pinpoints their locations - the same 3D map Janek has forgotten about when he asks Shaw where Fifield and Millburn are.

As you pointed out, this is a tired myth.  After about 30 seconds running straight, they make a left turn.

Don't see a problem with this.  They had a lethal creature on the ship that had to be gotten rid of.  They couldn't laser it. The plan was sound.  The execution didn't quite come off.

Error in timing aside, she'd be an arsehole if she just left Jones to die.

What's to complain about?  They flag it by showing the explosion knocking the dropship sideways over the landing dock and wreckage getting caught in the landing gear, thus giving the Queen time and opportunity.

Quote2. Ripley battles the Queen using cargo-loader. The two of them tumble into a large airlock, which Ripley then opens, expelling the Queen into space. Exhausted Ripley clambers (she must be bloody strong) to safety. This is probably the most unrealistic scene (but I love it) in all five Alien movies. Do fans say anything? Not really. Why? Because it's a classic.

Fans have talked about how unrealistic it is for Ripley to climb out of the airlock for a very long time.

SiL

Fifield has a map as well. He's literally seen leading people around moments later taking directions from his wrist computer.

Miller's problems go beyond that. He says the hammerpede is "mesmerized", when it's doing every aggressive behaviour every animal on Earth does -- make yourself look bigger and make an unpleasant noise.

QuoteKen Paige, Head of the Department of Animal Biology, University of Illinois
This phallus soon spreads open and seems to display a neck frill. As a biologist, what would that mean to you?

It can be defensive or it can attract mates. Usually it's a threat display. It makes the animal look bigger and more ferocious.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/carolpinchefsky/2012/06/20/5-scientists-share-their-baffled-reactions-on-the-bad-science-in-prometheus/2/#69e099f63f42

What was the other option? They couldn't take the life boats, they made that clear later. They had no other weapons that wouldn't make it bleed and eat a hole through the ship. Their only option was to flush it to an airlock.

It is shown. She's in the landing gear.

Ingwar

Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2016, 10:57:09 PM
Quote2. Ripley battles the Queen using cargo-loader. The two of them tumble into a large airlock, which Ripley then opens, expelling the Queen into space. Exhausted Ripley clambers (she must be bloody strong) to safety. This is probably the most unrealistic scene (but I love it) in all five Alien movies. Do fans say anything? Not really. Why? Because it's a classic.

Fans have talked about how unrealistic it is for Ripley to climb out of the airlock for a very long time.

It still doesn't change the fact that it is very unrealistic.

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Nov 27, 2016, 11:07:19 PM
It still doesn't change the fact that it is very unrealistic.
Your point was that fans didn't complain about it. SM pointed out that they absolutely do complain about it. It's not been ignored.

To answer the question in the original post:

QuoteQuestion: What are yours most favourite irrational and illogical scenes from Alien saga?

Alien: Quoth Parker, "Why don't they just freeze him?"

Alien3: Why would anyone design access tunnels in a needlessly convoluted maze?

Ingwar

Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2016, 10:57:09 PM

Error in timing aside, she'd be an arsehole if she just left Jones to die.

I love my cat but in the hour of dread (meeting an alien life-form) I don't think I could risk my life :)

SiL

I'd go back for my dogs. So would Ridley.

SM

It speaks to her character that she would go back for the cat.

PsyKore

Yeah, I've heard people question why she goes back for the cat before, which to me is odd. I think if you're a pet lover, or have had some pets in the past, it's easy to understand why you would go back for them. Apart from that I would say it's just the humane thing to do.

SiL

And people really overstate how much she "goes back" for the cat. If Jones hadn't jumped out in front of her it's very possible she would've left him onboard.

SM

She initially heard him over the comm while prepping the shuttle.  If the comm hadn't been open, she could well have forgotten him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed