Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 124,444 times)

windebieste

It's a safe bet Blomkamps proposal will embrace it yet a third time; because, y'know...  Giving Ripley 'the ending she deserves', which she's had  twice already clearly isn't enough.  lol.

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

Lol. Ripley didn't deserve either of those endings.

"Ripley! Think of all we could learn from it! It's the chance of a lifetime! You must let me have it! It's a magnificent specimen!"

Yack.

windebieste

Not the ending to which I was referring to.  The endings where she is the sole survivor against an implacably hostile space monster and the next one, where she goes beyond that to conquer her fears and still get out alive. 

Anything beyond that is, well, a bonus. 

But yes.  Too bad she died in 'ALIEN 3'.  I guess it's a better way to go while saving Humanity from having WY getting their hands on a dangerous bio-weapon.  It's a greater improvement over fading out over time as a continuously over-used Hero always laden and overburdened with the same tropes, ad nauseum.

-Windebieste.

BishopShouldGo

Oh, so she had the perfect ending twice with Alien and Aliens? I agree. But then they f**ked that all up with A3 and A4. Now is the time for unf**king.

I see your concept art, Neill. Sick unf**kage game, bro.

windebieste

Love the 'ALIEN 3' ending.  It forces future film makers into taking this series into fresh directions.  While its debatable that 'ALIEN: Resurrection' was the best route to take after that, it does leave ample opportunity to pick up from the end of either of the previous movies. 

This series is deserving of more than just seeing Ripley returning endlessly.  4 movies she's featured in.  It's time to move; and to do so without unnecessary retconning is the best way to go. 

I guess Ripley #5 shoving yet another Alien out the airlock is what you want, right?  Coz that would just be outta control stupid.   Especially when other - more deserving - stories just get wasted for the sake of having Ripley back again. 

Man.  There's so many reasons to not take this retcon path, it's ludicrous that Blomkamp even considered it viable in the first place. 

Like I say... Would've been great, in 1988.   Time to move on has long passed.

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 03, 2016, 03:31:18 AM
Love the 'ALIEN 3' ending.  It forces future film makers into taking this series into fresh directions.  While its debatable that 'ALIEN: Resurrection' was the best route to take after that, it does leave ample opportunity to pick up from the end of either of the previous movies. 

This series is deserving of more than just seeing Ripley returning endlessly.  4 movies she's featured in.  It's time to move; and to do so without unnecessary retconning is the best way to go. 

I guess Ripley #5 shoving yet another Alien out the airlock is what you want, right?  Coz that would just be outta control stupid.   Especially when other - more deserving - stories just get wasted for the sake of having Ripley back again. 

Man.  There's so many reasons to not take this retcon path, it's ludicrous that Blomkamp even considered it viable in the first place. 

Like I say... Would've been great, in 1988.   Time to move on has long passed.

-Windebieste.

Except that no director in their right mind will pick up after A:R.  People don't care about that timeline or those characters.

Nobody is asking to retread those old film patterns from Alien and Aliens.  People just want a continuation with the characters they want to see on screen.  The characters in which they have a vested interest.  You have no idea what Blomkamp's script calls for, so why blame him for something he didn't do?

windebieste

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 03, 2016, 03:52:54 AM
Except that no director in their right mind will pick up after A:R.

No director in their right mind would make a prequel trilogy, either, right?  lol.

People don't care about that timeline or those characters.

I guess fans of the fourth movie aren't permitted to have opinion in your eyes, hey.

Nobody is asking to retread those old film patterns from Alien and Aliens.

What are you expecting in terms of 'the ending Ripley deserves' then?  Ripley's happy snaps of family holidays on the beach with Hicks and Newt?   Ripley and Hicks walking arm in arm into the sunset?  A house in the suburbs..?  A nice cozy retirement villa on the Gold Coast..?  A nice phat pay out from the company for all of her hardships..?  Wut.  Do.  You.  Want? ? ? ?

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 03, 2016, 03:52:54 AMPeople just want a continuation with the characters they want to see on screen.  The characters in which they have a vested interest.

What vested interest?  I have a vested interested in appreciating all 4 movies the way they are, warts and all.  There's more to be gained from adding to that rather than disowning half of the series to accommodate a needless retcon in order to shoe horn a few deceased characters back to life...

So they can have the ending they deserve..?  Ripley gets a 'Get off Jail' free card.  What a cop out.  lol   For me, that's Respect for a great character, instantly lost as far as I am concerned.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 03, 2016, 03:52:54 AMYou have no idea what Blomkamp's script calls for, so why blame him for something he didn't do?

Good.  Let's keep it that way.  Unless, of course, he decides that the whole retcon nonsense really is the stupid idea that it actually is and he ditches Ripley Newt and Hicks.  That would be an ideal start and a step in a responsible direction respectful to the series as a whole and not just 'fan servicing' to a particular segment of the series. 

All or nothing, Mr. Blomkamp.  This 'picking the eyes out' of the series is just irresponsible and disrespectful not just to many, many fans but the series overall.   If you can't put a story together that doesn't need a retcon, maybe you should go make something else instead.

-Windebieste.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Honestly, I really don't think that anyone really cares about Hicks and Newt except for ALIENS fans. The casual movie goer doesn't care if it's Newt, Jones, Call or some new pure and innocent character backing up the lead character's emotional story arch. Same goes with Hicks. It's only to ALIENS fans and fans of the sic-fi action genre that Hicks is revered as a pivotal character. To most other people Biehn is the face of Kyle Reese or even the mustache dude from THE ABYSS.

Ripley on the other hand is pivotal and iconic. She is a well-known character even outside the sci-fi genre and the geeky world we live in.

I totally understand that FOX doesn't wan't her to go. They want to milk her name as long as possible. She is a brand of her own. People want to see her on the screen, that's why A:C (Alien: Covenant) is so interesting as it's an Alien movie without her. Maybe they (FOX) are testing the waters to see if there is a market for Alien movies without Ripley in them?

With that said, as much as you guys think that Hicks and Newt are great and unforgettable wildly acknowledged Alien characters, they in in fact aren't. They really aren't.

BishopShouldGo

Lol, no one's saying Hicks and Newt are important. But they survived in Aliens, the movie where Neill will be picking up from.

Just because certain people didn't like Alien 3 or its treatment of those characters, doesn't mean we want everything super idyllic. It's not like the only other option besides killing everybody off is making everything super happy. Why are we thinking in extremes?

But honestly? That all sounds good to me anyway. Yeah, I would've loved to have seen Ripley and Hicks on the beach, or in a Gold Coast villa. So patronizing you are with your suggestions Winde, but actually yeah that all sounds good to me.

windebieste

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 03, 2016, 04:36:15 AM
I totally understand that FOX doesn't wan't her to go. They want to milk her name as long as possible. She is a brand of her own. People want to see her on the screen, that's why A:C (Alien: Covenant) is so interesting as it's an Alien movie without her. Maybe they (FOX) are trying the waters to see if there is a market for Alien movies without Ripley in them?

This will be the real 'litmus test'.  Can Scott make a great 'ALIEN' movie again?  'Prometheus' is kind of half is; and half not an 'ALIEN' movie - and it shows in the end result.  Let's see what he delivers when he's 100% committed to making a new one.

Other than that, yes.  Fox will merrily milk the series for all they can.  Why not?  If I was a shareholder, I'd want Ripley back, too.  Too bad Blomkamp's Proposal is almost 30 years overdue.  Wow... 30 years. 

Back then, we all would all be clamoring for it.  Here, in 2016, it's just a laughable idea.

-Windebiese.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Lays back, sparks a cigar, and thinks of how fked up life would have been if it was bloomkamp or some other fanboy director and not Ridley Scott directing the next 2-3 Alien movies....ahhhh life is good.

I could care less for Ripley and her fan appreciation bs, she should never have accepted to play in 2 straight movies with dumbass plots. Like Vasquez says, ayios condillios mein.

Time to get the franchise back to its original horror & terror roots not this gun ho mindless crap. That belongs in Predator. Someone flame me lol, my cigar could use some fire.

PS> All laughs aside, my ideal scenario would be for both Ridley's and an Aliens type of movie to be made, with or without Ripley & Hicks.. but without fanboy director Bloomkamp and his remote controlled toy Aliens or Alien Armored Masks Fanboy geek BULLSHYTE. And definitely with Ridley Scott and some other smart writer having the final say or writing and partly directing the Aliens movie too so there is smart continuity.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 03, 2016, 04:54:27 AM
Too bad Blomkamp's Proposal is almost 30 years overdue.  Wow... 30 years. 

Whap!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Sep 02, 2016, 08:08:24 PMIf you assume that they made a film in the hopes that it will turn into an ongoing story franchise, they were wrong.

I wouldn't assume that at all, because they specifically made the third film as an end to the series, per Sigourney's request.

Not to mention the concept of the franchise didn't really exist in 1992. Other than the Bond films, there weren't any long-running series on the go back then.

SM

Weaver was sure they'd make more Alien films after 1992, only she wouldn't be in them.  Ditto Giler.

Master

And that's exactly where it should go anno Domini 2016.

Make it about fully equipped research expedition to  lv 426, with W-Y Commandos. Maybe add combination of egg morphing and queen life cycle, and we are on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed