Author
Shogun (FX) (Read 4,103 times)

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Its been a while since I read James Clavell's original novel. But I do remember the 1980 TV version with Richard Chamberlain and Toshiro Mifune was classic. If anyone can remotely compare to Mifune, it would be Hiroyuki Sanada, so at least they seem to cast the part of Toranaga Yoshii right with Sanada.

Clavell's novel was remarkable for its time in how it accurately nailed down that particular history of Japan, the Sengoku period, when the country was torn by warring daimyos (warlords), each commanding their own army of samurai clan, vying to gain supeme power and re-unite the country.

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: ace3g on Jan 24, 2024, 12:48:44 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPL80Xqc_f4

The 1980 NBC adapation focused more on Chamberlain's character, Blackthorne, and his perspective and neglected the Japanese characters. It was ages ago since I read the novel (It took me a long time read it, it was over a 1000 pages long, but you don't feel its length, because it is such a gripping page-turner). But I do remember the novel by contrasted focused a lot more on the motivations, power struggles and machinations of the Japanese characters. In that sense it has a certain "Game of Thrones" vibe to it (rumor has it that George R.R Martin developed some inspiration for his GOT novels from Shogun).We'll see if this latest TV adaptation does justice to the Japanese characters in Shogun.

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

ace3g

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Behind-the-scenes feature of the FX series is released:

Can it stand on its own as an adaptation or will it live in the shadow of the 1980 series?

SM

SM

You think there's a big fanbase for a mini-series from 44 years ago?

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2024, 03:15:47 AMYou think there's a big fanbase for a mini-series from 44 years ago?

Where did I say there was? Making stuff up again are we?

Doesn't matter whether there is a big fanbase or not, the point is, the 1980 series exist and some will always compared to that 1980 series whether you like it or not.

SM

SM

My but aren't we touchy.

If there isn't big fanbase (putting aside people who didn't know or forgot it even existed) then it's not likely to live in any shadow.  One would think.

SiL

SiL

Asking if it will live in the original's shadow does imply that the original is big enough and well known enough to be casting a shadow.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed