ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 152,882 times)

hawkangel

Great Review Hicks. Summed it up nicely. I too hope they do more of these. The fellas in my podcast group are Aliens fans but they don't seem interested in this because of Ripley's inclusion (I.e. A bit unbelievable that something happened to her between the two movies for them.)  ::)

Corporal Hicks

Thanks. :) Admittedly it's a stretch and a distraction but I think it should be given a go regardless.

Perfect-Organism

As a sci-fi story it works terrifically.  As an Aliens story it works terrifically.  You simply have to ignore Ripley's inclusion in between Alien and Aliens and enjoy the ride.  Of course it is absurd that this would happen to her.  But its written so well, you will want to forgive the premise imposed upon the writer.  Both the book, and the audio drama, are stellar.

Engineer

Alright, Perfect-Organism, I have a story for you!

I decided I couldn't wait for my next pay day to get this audiobook. I took your recommendation, and signed up for a free 30 day trial on audible, and to claim my first audiobook for free which was, of course, alien out of the shadows! Only, it turns out my membership didn't process correctly for some reason, and I was locked out. I called customer service, and they helped fix my account. So I got my free 30 day trial, and free alien audiobook. Here's the kicker: for my hastle, they gave me a second free credit!! So now, I get to pick another audiobook to get for free! So many choices:

Alien by Alan dean foster
Aliens by Alan dean foster
Alien 3 by Alan dean foster
Alien: resurrection
Alien: sea of sorrows
Alien: river of pain
Alien: invasion
Predator: incursion

Got any other recommendations? Lol :-)

PS. Thanks for the review. Hicks and Perfect-Organism. I'd have skipped over this if it hadn't been for the glowing recommendations. I thought it was just a simple reading of the book that I already own! Once I realized it was more than that, I got interested!

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Hi Engineer,

That is a good story.  It's good to see customer service like that.  Say what you will about he premise of the story, but for what the author had to work with, he really did run a very fun ride.  That's the way to treat this story.  Even before it was turned into this epic audio drama, it was a real page turner.  Now that they created this drama, it just takes things to a whole new level.  You really feel like you are there, which is a very chilling experience.  You will love this rendition of the book.

With regards to the books you mentioned, it's a tough call.  I haven't heard these audio books yet, but I presume they  don't have the same treatment as Out of the Shadows.  Assuming they are just a reading of the original books, the only one from the list that I haven't read yet is Alien : Invasion.  So I won't be commenting on that one.  I must admit that I am a bit surprised, and disappointed that they didn't do the drama treatment for Sea of Sorrows and River of Pain.  Sea of Sorrows is basically a loose continuation of Out of the Shadows.  But I find that it was also one of the weakest books in the list.  It is very difficult to connect with the characters as they are repetitive and with little depth.  However, perhaps the audio drama treatment could have fixed some of that.  You have some similar "fight in a hive" moments in SOS and OOTS.  But with OOTS you feel like you are there whereas with, SOS, you feel lost.

So I would ask myself this, which books have I read already?  The Alan Dean Foster adaptations are really good, but although they feature some different aspects to the stories, you already basically know what the story is going to be.  Same goes for Resurrection.  If you want to repeat one of those experiences, then you can go for one of those books.  If you want an all-new experience, then go for one of the remaining 4.  I personally really liked River of Pain.  Some parts were hokey but overall, the book captured the desperation of the fall of Hadley's hope.  It's a sort of Titanic story.  You know it will not end well, but the drama that unfolds prior to the ultimate end, is quite compelling.  I found Predator Incursion to be very dull.  Perhaps it may be more compelling as an audio book.  There are many important characters sprinkled throughout this book, and since they are not that thoroughly developed, it's easy to get them mixed up.  But it is a key book for the new Rage War trilogy as it does a lot of terrific world building.

Bottom line is, I'd get River of Pain, but I really hope these get a proper drama treatment some day soon.  That OOTS audio drama really came out of left field as an item, and it was mind-blowingly good.  Now it will be hard to accept a lower standard..

Engineer

Yea I was more than satisfied with the customer service there! I wasn't even upset or anything, so when they offered I was like "oh! Sure! I'll take it!" :-)

I slightly misspoke before. Sea of sorrows and river of pain are NOT on audible. The rest are on audible though!

I own all of these books in hard copy, except for the two rage wars books; I haven't nabbed those yet. But I have not read any of these books as of yet either. I've only had the chance to read all of the older dark horse books. The Titan trilogy is high on my list though, and I'm very excited by this audiobook! And river of pain is the book in this trilogy I'm most looking forward to. First I've gotta finish my current book, "ringworld" by Larry Niven.

Perhaps, I'll use my extra free credit to pick up predator: incursion, since that's the first rage wars book, and I don't own it in hard copy yet. I wouldn't want to grab the second book without having picked up the first one either.

And yes, out of the shadows is the only one that is a dramatization. The others are just readings, although I'm not sure if there's a soundtrack for the mood or anything aside from just the narrator.

But anyway, I am almost POSITIVE we will see dramatizations of sea of sorrows and river of pain, at least! Especially since this one seems to be getting such good reviews, and since this is part 1 of the trilogy (even if all 3 are sort of standalones).

Corporal Hicks

They may continue doing audio dramatizations. We need to show them we're interested by buying and commenting on Out of the Shadows.

As for what to spend that last credit on...If you liked the old EU novels, Sea of Sorrows is the most like the old EU IMHO. River of Pain has the same forced inclusion that Out of the Shadows did but with Colonial Marines on Hadley's Hope during the infestation which I struggled to look past.

Xenomorphine

That poor Alien looks like it's all gums and no teeth. :'(

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Engineer on May 04, 2016, 04:07:17 AMThe others are just readings, although I'm not sure if there's a soundtrack for the mood or anything aside from just the narrator.

I had Alien3 on cassette back in the day, and it's just Lance Henriksen reading the book - no music or anything.

It'll cure your insomnia right quick.  ;)

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 04, 2016, 01:38:58 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 04, 2016, 04:07:17 AMThe others are just readings, although I'm not sure if there's a soundtrack for the mood or anything aside from just the narrator.

I had Alien3 on cassette back in the day, and it's just Lance Henriksen reading the book - no music or anything.

It'll cure your insomnia right quick.  ;)

Lol

I wonder if this is the same audiobook. That's actually kinda cool that lance Henriksen is the narrator!

Nope. Different narrator.

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Engineer on May 04, 2016, 01:56:59 PM

I wonder if this is the same audiobook. That's actually kinda cool that lance Henriksen is the narrator!

Oh, interesting! Maybe the rights to the LH recording were held by some now-defunct audiobook company.

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on May 04, 2016, 05:01:23 PM
Quote from: Engineer on May 04, 2016, 01:56:59 PM

Oh, interesting! Maybe the rights to the LH recording were held by some now-defunct audiobook company.

Yea, the narrator for alien 3 is Peter Guinness. I noticed audible has sever different versions of some books, like H.G. Wells' Time Machine, all have different narrators. So probably different companies or something. But to be honest, I think I'd prefer lance Henriksen; it has that little extra aliens-nostalgia going for it... But perhaps Peter Guinness is more animated and more interesting to listen to. Either way, I think you might want to hang on to yours! It might be worth something someday (if it isn't already). :-)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 04, 2016, 07:26:53 AM
They may continue doing audio dramatizations. We need to show them we're interested by buying and commenting on Out of the Shadows.

As for what to spend that last credit on...If you liked the old EU novels, Sea of Sorrows is the most like the old EU IMHO. River of Pain has the same forced inclusion that Out of the Shadows did but with Colonial Marines on Hadley's Hope during the infestation which I struggled to look past.
Btw, my favorite book so far was rogue. My least favorites were the newer titles by dark horse like original sin, DNA war and cauldron.

XenoZipper

I'm actually listening to the Peter Guiness version of Alien 3 right now. I quite like it, he has a good voice for audio books. He also did Alien. Next up after that I'll be listening to Resurrection read by William Hope. I do also have the Lance version of Alien 3 but I'll be saving that for last to listen to. Still haven't heard Out of the Shadows yet, probably won't get to unfortunately.

Engineer

Quote from: XenoZipper on May 04, 2016, 07:48:51 PM
I'm actually listening to the Peter Guiness version of Alien 3 right now. I quite like it, he has a good voice for audio books. He also did Alien. Next up after that I'll be listening to Resurrection read by William Hope. I do also have the Lance version of Alien 3 but I'll be saving that for last to listen to. Still haven't heard Out of the Shadows yet, probably won't get to unfortunately.

Hey! William hope?! That's even cooler! Out of curiosity I went back and checked, and it turns out William hope narrated for aliens too! I may have to pick that one now!! I'd love to hear aliens narrated by Waits... I mean Groves... I mean Gorman... I mean William hope! :-)

I knew William hope was involved in a lot of different alien/predator releases (obviously Gorman was his biggest role), but until now I had no idea he narrated for 2 of the audiobooks too! That's freakin cool!

The First Child

The First Child

I enjoyed Out of the Shadows. Personally I believe they should have made it an entirely new alien story separate from Ripley's path.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed