Alien Seventh Circle

Started by felix, Mar 18, 2024, 10:26:21 PM

Author
Alien Seventh Circle (Read 2,192 times)

Jake

Jake

Yeah, I'm not sure.

Again, a whole universe - 93 billion light-years in diameter - and the same characters (or family/friends) encountering the same danger WITH a high probability of survival.

Please can we highlight new, original characters?

I read Inferno's Fall. Despite a few good things, on the whole, I was pretty bored by the experience. I didn't finish the book feeling particularly satisfied, unlike other entries.

It's been tough to motivate myself to read Alien books lately. The quality has dipped and I'm starting to see the same themes/story beats over and over.

SM

SM

I remember when I read the drafts for the Rescue comic thinking it would be the swansong for Zula and Amanda. Hoping it would be their swansong really because how long can you really survive against these things?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Resistance and Rescue were just bad comics.

SM

SM

I liked Resistance. Rescue was... tolerable. Promised much, but delivered little.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Is this a retitle of Alien: Cult?

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 23, 2024, 01:51:27 PMIs this a retitle of Alien: Cult?

If not, they're going to both release at the same time. Or, Cult has been pushed back.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: Wweyland on Mar 23, 2024, 01:51:27 PMIs this a retitle of Alien: Cult?

I hope Cult is something different.

Quote from: SM on Mar 23, 2024, 01:03:09 AMI remember when I read the drafts for the Rescue comic thinking it would be the swansong for Zula and Amanda. Hoping it would be their swansong really because how long can you really survive against these things?

Exactly. Cause both of them have not encountered the Aliens just a couple of times, but several times. Hell, they've both aged quite a bit, were fighting Aliens on again and off again from the 2130s to almost 2190 now. That's a bit too much IMO. They've survived more encounters than E. Ripley, and a lot greater number of Aliens than her. Doesn't feel right when they barely got by their original stories. Amanda got cocooned, and Zula was saved so many times by Davis. They were vulnerable and you felt the stakes there. Now it's gotten ridiculous... They haven't even lost a limb, no crippling, horrific injuries, nothing.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I would have liked to have thought that after seeing what happened on Sevastapol (Alien or no Alien), the overall human cost and getting some closure, that Amanda became a union representative or something like that travelling the galaxy campaigning for better working conditions.

And I like to think Zula kept swimming on Earth, because the nonsense stories past their first ones are honestly just that, and better just ignored.

The whole holy crusade against Weyland Yutani and their Aliens each partakes in comes across as totally farcical, it undermines the films, the Alien as a threatening presence and largely turns Weyland Yutani into Umbrella Corporation.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Mar 23, 2024, 02:51:11 PM

If not, they're going to both release at the same time. Or, Cult has been pushed back.

Cult was never intended to be announced so might not even be published. We saw this with a Predator prequel too.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Just checked, Cult was supposed to be by a different author. So a different book.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 25, 2024, 09:07:54 AM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Mar 23, 2024, 02:51:11 PM

Cult was never intended to be announced so might not even be published. We saw this with a Predator prequel too.

Of course that's possible, but I hope that's not the case.

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 24, 2024, 02:44:52 PMI would have liked to have thought that after seeing what happened on Sevastapol (Alien or no Alien), the overall human cost and getting some closure, that Amanda became a union representative or something like that travelling the galaxy campaigning for better working conditions.

And I like to think Zula kept swimming on Earth, because the nonsense stories past their first ones are honestly just that, and better just ignored.

The whole holy crusade against Weyland Yutani and their Aliens each partakes in comes across as totally farcical, it undermines the films, the Alien as a threatening presence and largely turns Weyland Yutani into Umbrella Corporation.

Completely agree 100%. I've never even thought of their alternative fates. Damn I love those ideas! For both of them! A lot more mature and believable IMO. E. Ripley wouldn't have gone on a crusade. She wanted to go home and try to live a normal life as much as possible, like normal human beings generally want. She only sacrificed herself cause she was kinda forced into that situation and she made a brave decision at the very end.

SM

SM

I pitched an Amanda 'Epilogue' story to Fox but only got as far as an outline before the Mouse took over.  The idea would have been a free short story to go out online for Alien Day. Such was my desire to please retire this character because it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What was the gist of it?

SM

SM

Lawyer in Wisconsin tries to return a package to Ellen Ripley after flags pop up on the Network from Ripley searching for information on Amanda. Old terminally ill Amanda has left a video about her life in case her mother ever turns up, including stuff that's password protected. Lawyer goes to Burke's office trying to find out how to get in contact with Ripley.  An exec assistant says Burke is offworld, and Ripley's gone with him and isn't sure when they'll be back.

Final passage would be black fingernails typing LUCKYSTAR on an old video tablet. Ripley 8 watches as Old Amanda says 'You'll never guess what happened to me'.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Holy shit, that sounds great.  :o

SM

SM

You're too kind.

I just found the actual story file, that I only had a vague recollection of writing.  Almost finished too. About 1400 words, and I only cringed once - maybe twice - re-reading it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed