The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 65,958 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 08, 2020, 08:51:36 PM
I can agree with Warriors getting better head placement on the sprue and more leg options, but I still really like the old kit. I'm totally cool with all of the 5th edition stuff, but most of the new stuff turns me off unless I can do head swaps with the old stuff, that might salvage some of it.

It just suffers from "early 2000's syndrome", where the basic design is great but the soft detailing (compared to newer kits) and homogeneous "options" can make them a bit of a chore. As I said, the Tyranid Warrior kit had the same issue, and its update is essentially the exact same models with a bit more variety of posing, some optional details and a complete suite of weapons (less of a problem for necrons).

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Well GW wants $345 NZD for Indomtus so I don't have to worry about busted looking Necrons at all!

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Just posting this here because it reminds me of Exterminatus.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

This looks interesting. It is a 40k game from the developers of the Vermintide fantasy games.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Any recommendations where to start when diving into this series?
I have played some of the games (Dawn of War 2 & 3) but haven't read any books.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 23, 2020, 08:19:10 PM

The Horus Heresy series is a good place to start if you ask me. Horus Rising is the first book in that series.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Jul 23, 2020, 06:17:38 PM
This looks interesting. It is a 40k game from the developers of the Vermintide fantasy games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zp44GNRzvCc

I'm a big fan of Vermintide, so I am eagerly waiting for more info on this. Especially after the disappointment that was Deathwing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Why can't we just get a sequel to Space Marine?!

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Shasvre on Jul 23, 2020, 08:20:48 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Jul 23, 2020, 08:19:10 PM

The Horus Heresy series is a good place to start if you ask me. Horus Rising is the first book in that series.

Disagree. Those aren't really "40k" and they undermine the mythological nature of the setting. Heresy stuff should be read *after* a good dose of 40k.

Wweyland, read Storm of Iron.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Fair enough. In that case I would recommend Angels of Darkness by Gav Thorpe.

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

Shasvre

Shasvre

Guess it's time to empty the wallet again. :-X

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Some day I'm going to make the plunge and actually get into miniature painting/wargaming...

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jul 25, 2020, 07:57:57 PM
Some day I'm going to make the plunge and actually get into miniature painting/wargaming...

With the new rules coming out, now is better than ever. ;)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Shasvre on Jul 25, 2020, 08:03:11 PM

With the new rules coming out, now is better than ever. ;)

Well, it's a good time to get in on it thanks to it being the start of an edition cycle. The rules themselves look... bad.

Look into the genre as a whole, don't just get sucked into GW games right off the bat. The lore is the best/most developed but many other games are more rewarding mechanically and/or have cheaper buy-in.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed