The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 65,942 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: StanSwitek on May 29, 2020, 05:16:39 AM
Cool to see a 40k thread here. I myself don't play the game but I love to read the books and lore. The lore of 40k is so unique because it wears its many inspirations on its sleeve proudly, yet brings them all together into a totally new and exciting creation. Also, I enjoy the hobby of painting. The part of painting that gives me the most anxiety is edge highlighting and drybrushing.  I've painted a Death watch kill team as one of my first projects. It came out just OK. I've done a variety of Ultramarines (the noblest of the noble) reivers and intercessors. I have 12 Chaos space marines built and ready but haven't decided on a chapter yet. I was thinking Night Lords or Emperor's Children since I think they have the most interesting background. Also I have a second Death Watch kill team to paint as well so I have quite the backlog that will take me probably a long time to get through.

Here's a pic of my Primaris Redemptor Dreadnought that I completed not too long ago.

and here are a few Spindle Drones, from the very fun boardgame Blackstone Fortress. Those are a whole other set of minis I have yet to complete painting. I tried a speedpainting technique that I saw on the Midwinter Minis youtube channel, and  I was overall satisfied with how they came out. It is so cool that just one little "boop" of yellow on the red lenses give it so much more depth.

Welcome.

From my paint bench recently:

Ultramarine standard bearer:

Retro Hormagaunt:

Speed painting skeletons - 10am, midday, 2pm:

Khemri test model:

Using wire and grit paint to make trees for 6mm/Epic Eldar:

Skaven test models:

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

Some mighty fine skelly bois you got there.

I've been debating doing an undead style group of marines for Kill Team.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 30, 2020, 12:11:15 PM

Very nice.  Are they all old school Astartes or do you also have some Primaris models among them?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 02, 2020, 07:09:59 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 30, 2020, 12:11:15 PM

Very nice.  Are they all old school Astartes or do you also have some Primaris models among them?

They're 100% Primaris models, I'm just doing headswaps and adding a few classic weapons.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jun 01, 2020, 03:18:31 PM
Some mighty fine skelly bois you got there.

I've been debating doing an undead style group of marines for Kill Team.

Always preferred undead Guard, actually did an army of 'em back in the day.

Ivan The Insect

Ivan The Insect

Any of you playing that Combat Cards mobile game?

DarthJoker45

DarthJoker45

McFarlane Toys has listed their first figures for its 40k line which are the Ultramarines Primaris Assault Intercessor and Necron Warrior. Here is a preview.

You can view more here:

Ultramarine Figure Listing

Necron Figure Listing

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Even the promo pic has a bendy gun lol, typical of McFarlane sadly.

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I'm not gonna lie I'm going to be buying the McF stuff as it comes out. The Bandai kit is waaaay to expensive for me to justify buying it so I'll take what I can get.

I'll probably repaint the marines to be a different chapter, maybe even get some to turn into chaos marines.

Ivan The Insect

Ivan The Insect

The Art of The New 40k!

Grimdark enough? You tell me!

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Grimdark enough? You tell me!

Genuinely, no. Digit art tends to lack the gothic, semi-historical feel that the classic oil painting/ink work holds (maybe less of an issue if you didn't go to art school) regardless of how edgy or detailed it is, and I've always felt the colour work is better saved for book and magazine covers. The black and white nature of most of the old material was due to technical/budget limitations (most of the art was done in colour but printed in B&W) but was also insanely evocative and every page being a riot of colour (in comparison) spoils that for me.

Ivan The Insect

Ivan The Insect

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 05, 2020, 09:15:17 PM
Genuinely, no. Digit art tends to lack the gothic, semi-historical feel that the classic oil painting/ink work holds (maybe less of an issue if you didn't go to art school) regardless of how edgy or detailed it is, and I've always felt the colour work is better saved for book and magazine covers. The black and white nature of most of the old material was due to technical/budget limitations (most of the art was done in colour but printed in B&W) but was also insanely evocative and every page being a riot of colour (in comparison) spoils that for me.
Honestly the old style 40k art always reminded me of the art in this very old Bible I read as a kid... And I think both had that apocalyptic feel of dread to them.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 28, 2020, 08:49:24 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 27, 2020, 06:13:30 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 26, 2020, 06:51:23 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 25, 2020, 12:10:05 AM
I've heard rumblings of a new price hike as well.
This is confirmed.

Well shit.
It's already a hard pill to swallow, now depending on how big the price hike is it may as well be a suppository.

In USD it's a couple bucks on most items. Which of course will be 3x as much here thanks to GWs creative in-house exchange rates.
Where are you located?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jun 06, 2020, 01:51:53 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 28, 2020, 08:49:24 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on May 27, 2020, 06:13:30 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 26, 2020, 06:51:23 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on May 25, 2020, 12:10:05 AM
I've heard rumblings of a new price hike as well.
This is confirmed.

Well shit.
It's already a hard pill to swallow, now depending on how big the price hike is it may as well be a suppository.

In USD it's a couple bucks on most items. Which of course will be 3x as much here thanks to GWs creative in-house exchange rates.
Where are you located?

The place where GW thinks this is acceptable to do:

For the record, our dollar is generally around the same value as the Canadian dollar, in Canada the prices look like this, which is already a bit silly:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed