Original or bootleg

Started by aliens13, Jul 28, 2023, 04:52:52 AM

Author
Original or bootleg (Read 2,133 times)

aliens13

aliens13

Hi everyone, there's some way to know or someone knows if this figure it's original or a bootleg?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

How often did NECA get bootlegged btw? I know it was claimed a lot on Twitter, but I never knew how frequent or legit it actually was.

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2023, 08:33:14 AMHow often did NECA get bootlegged btw? I know it was claimed a lot on Twitter, but I never knew how frequent or legit it actually was.
Enough that their are nearly a bootleg of all their original earlier Alien and Predator figures. Most Ultimate Predators and Aliens have a bootleg as well.  To answer the original Post question, it's finally difficult to tell if it's a bootleg with the original Big Chap, but a good tell is only available after opening it. I've found once opened the bootleg I purchased had an issue with the legs falling off constantly at the hips.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Jul 28, 2023, 09:09:09 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 28, 2023, 08:33:14 AMHow often did NECA get bootlegged btw? I know it was claimed a lot on Twitter, but I never knew how frequent or legit it actually was.
Enough that their are nearly a bootleg of all their original earlier Alien and Predator figures. Most Ultimate Predators and Aliens have a bootleg as well.  To answer the original Post question, it's finally difficult to tell if it's a bootleg with the original Big Chap, but a good tell is only available after opening it. I've found once opened the bootleg I purchased had an issue with the legs falling off constantly at the hips.
Yeah, I have an Big Chap with the same issue so that's why I'm looking for an original Neca figure of Big Chap but it's difficult to find, and even more if you live on Argentina. And sadly the Ultimate it's very expensive here, so that's why I was looking for the figure of the picture.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Very, very, very often! The strangest part is that the newer bootlegs are just as good if not even in rare cases of better quality than the original cause Neca has questionable QC (though better in recent lines). For international, European buyers for example, bootlegs from AliExpress can cost half the price or the same price as the original would in the US. But for us the original is like twice as expensive if you wanna get it to a part of Europe that ain't in the EU.

I can not explain the number of Neca Ultimate Alien warriors I've gotten in a price range of 15-25$ that I used in my army building and look, feel and move great. They are so good sometimes that I seriously don't know if all of them are bootlegs or somehow unused official products?

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Still Collating... on Jul 31, 2023, 01:09:51 PM

Very, very, very often! The strangest part is that the newer bootlegs are just as good if not even in rare cases of better quality than the original cause Neca has questionable QC (though better in recent lines). For international, European buyers for example, bootlegs from AliExpress can cost half the price or the same price as the original would in the US. But for us the original is like twice as expensive if you wanna get it to a part of Europe that ain't in the EU.

I can not explain the number of Neca Ultimate Alien warriors I've gotten in a price range of 15-25$ that I used in my army building and look, feel and move great. They are so good sometimes that I seriously don't know if all of them are bootlegs or somehow unused official products?

Any specific buyer on AliExpress?

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

The optimal ones change frequently based on if their shipping increases or decreases, and it has gotten worse since the pandemic of course. But from time to time some pop up with normal shipping. The ones that are now available are the Ultimate Arcade Alien Warrior figures. Comes with an egg, chestburster and facehugger that don't always have the bendy wires in them. The normal warriors are great for me though. Has the ultimate articulation with the updated knees and fingers. But the Aliens are pink. Again, not a problem for me since I'm planning on repainting them anyway.
The alternative is the brown Alien warrior, damaged version (with 2 chest bullet wounds that can be pealed off), has the ultimate articulation as well, though haven't bought one yet. Probably gonna buy the blue one with the damaged head one day.

The only potential QC issues I've seen are overbites (the lower jaw being slightly back), some stuck joints that needed to be heated with a hairdryer (typical Neca stuff) though the joints don't break on the Arcade Alien figures.

If that sounds okay to you for the price range, I'll look up which sellers I bought from recently.   

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Is the general rule of thumb, if it's a reasonable price more than a month or so after release, it's probably a bootleg?

(Bad Blood)

(Bad Blood)

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 02, 2023, 08:11:41 AMIs the general rule of thumb, if it's a reasonable price more than a month or so after release, it's probably a bootleg?
Exactly right.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Rightio. Thanks.

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: aliens13 on Jul 28, 2023, 04:52:52 AMhttps://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_656321-MLA51454692948_092022-O.webp
Hi everyone, there's some way to know or someone knows if this figure it's original or a bootleg?
Well, I just take the risk and buy that figure. It will arrive to my house the next Wednesday, so I will know that day if it's a bootleg or not.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 02, 2023, 08:11:41 AMIs the general rule of thumb, if it's a reasonable price more than a month or so after release, it's probably a bootleg?

Sometimes with close inspection you can find irregularities like misspellings on the product packaging. NECA has a big issue with early TMNT comic figures being bootlegged that haven't been in production for over a decade. The challenge is communicating with a seller to see in hand photos of the product before purchasing, but it's never that easy.

But yeah, the good rule of thumb is: if the price is too good to be true on a hard to find figure, it's likely bootleg.

Here's a link to the TMNT figures, which in a rare case, were pretty dang good bootlegs that some people actually quite liked: https://thefwoosh.com/2013/10/fraudulent-figure-feature-neca-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-bootlegs/

So sometimes, bootleg isn't always the worst case.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

Quote from: aliens13 on Aug 02, 2023, 08:48:14 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Jul 28, 2023, 04:52:52 AMhttps://http2.mlstatic.com/D_NQ_NP_656321-MLA51454692948_092022-O.webp
Well, I just take the risk and buy that figure. It will arrive to my house the next Wednesday, so I will know that day if it's a bootleg or not.

Just tot let you know. From the image it seems that this the first Alien figure, from Neca's first wave. It has limited articulation and the QC was horrible on the originals, so don't know how the bootleg versions of this figure are. They may be the older type of bootlegs. The newer types are so much better in terms of figure strength. It's a hassle, but once you know what to look for, you know what to expect. Some of the newer Terminator, Alien, TMNT and Back to the Future human figures that have the face printing technique look stunning even though they are at a good price and probably bootlegs.   

aliens13

aliens13

Quote from: Still Collating... on Aug 04, 2023, 05:15:36 PM
Quote from: aliens13 on Aug 02, 2023, 08:48:14 PM

Just tot let you know. From the image it seems that this the first Alien figure, from Neca's first wave. It has limited articulation and the QC was horrible on the originals, so don't know how the bootleg versions of this figure are. They may be the older type of bootlegs. The newer types are so much better in terms of figure strength. It's a hassle, but once you know what to look for, you know what to expect. Some of the newer Terminator, Alien, TMNT and Back to the Future human figures that have the face printing technique look stunning even though they are at a good price and probably bootlegs.   
It arrived today, and for what I was seeing in many comparative videos of this figure looks like it's Neca original. But not all was good, looks like that in the way through here the feet broke 🤦🏻�♂️ but I already fix it with glue

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed