Am I alone ?

Started by Predator@Alien, Dec 06, 2017, 05:46:42 PM

Author
Am I alone ? (Read 15,983 times)

Scorpio

Scorpio

Well I said it hasn't been explored in any film, I'm sure you could dig up a few old episodes of some cheesy tv show to prove your point.  :P

SM

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 19, 2017, 10:08:22 AM
From what I remember that was The Chase's justification for it, yeah. I'll see if I can dig up a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-j69iVReEU

So Odo and his mates made humanoids?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Dec 19, 2017, 10:33:49 AM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 19, 2017, 10:08:22 AM
From what I remember that was The Chase's justification for it, yeah. I'll see if I can dig up a clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-j69iVReEU

So Odo and his mates made humanoids?

:laugh: Lol. I don't believe they're intended to be the Changlings.

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 19, 2017, 10:30:57 AM
Well I said it hasn't been explored in any film, I'm sure you could dig up a few old episodes of some cheesy tv show to prove your point.  :P

You were the one who brought up Star Trek.  :P Stargate, not a particularly old or cheesy TV show, also had a whole series wide story around the idea that another species from another galaxy was responsible for the evolution of humans throughout this and other galaxies. Just proving that the concept isn't particularly original to the genre.  ;)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Incidentally, Gene Roddenberry did write into his original 1964 Star Trek pitch something of a justification for the aliens to all look very similar.

1. We would only be visiting "Class M" worlds. Which, in the original pitch, meant they were very very Earth-like.
2. He came up with some pseudo science called Parallel Evolution/Parallel development. That most humanoid societies developed along the same lines.

This was his two-pronged attempt to justify using and reusing props from currently produced films. He remarked basically something to the effect "If we just finished shooting an Egyptian or a western movie, we can make clever reuse of set design and wardrobe." Hence why you have episodes where the crew beam down to a planet run by the 1930s Chicago mobs, or why you end up with episodes like "Who Mourns for Adonais" where they meet Apollo. That one, more than many of Trek's episodes really does tie into some of the same ideas of Prometheus and Alien : Covenant. With it's ties to our mythology, but also with the attitude of Apollo himself.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 19, 2017, 10:30:57 AM

A quick Google shows that Mission to Mars and Laserhawk featured the concept. They're films. But I'm sure you'll just wave that away.

SM

SM

QuoteLol. I don't believe they're intended to be the Changlings.

Really?  She looks just like them.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: SM on Dec 19, 2017, 10:51:36 AM
QuoteLol. I don't believe they're intended to be the Changlings.

Really?  She looks just like them.

Same actress as the female changeling, too. Very similar make up job.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Ancient_humanoid

They were played by the same actress, but no, I don't think she's supposed to be a Changling during this episode. It's not mentioned in any of the interactions with the Dominion. 

I would have thought that if the Founders were spreading their own dna around the galaxy, they wouldn't be making everyone else "solids" given their hatred for us. It's probably just one of those coincidences with the make-up.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 19, 2017, 10:45:59 AM

A quick Google shows that Mission to Mars and Laserhawk featured the concept. They're films. But I'm sure you'll just wave that away.

I am sure many films may have featured the concept, but was it actually explored?  In any depth at all?  I'm not trying to wave it away but that was what I originally said.

(Btw I just watched the relevant scenes in both films.  They are literally brief scenes or a few lines that have nothing to do with the plot of the movie)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

What do you class as explored? Do you think the prequels explore it by your own definition?

Scorpio

Scorpio

Well I don't know.  Compared to Mission of Mars which is the best example, which has a very brief scene at the end of the film, which shows a sole alien ship carrying micro-organisms to Earth after Mars is hit by a meteorite eons ago to Prometheus where from the very opening scene it is explored and is a major theme of the film.

You can watch the scene for yourself, that is all there is to it (it starts about the 4 min mark):

SiL

SiL

Prometheus explores it in about as much depth as any other movie. It pays it lip service, then goes out of  its way to avoid addressing the issue to any satisfying conclusion at the end.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 18, 2017, 10:32:18 PM
Then best you just watch Alien 1-4 where the origin isn't explained, because how is a narrative going to work if you don't include humans?  How would the opening scene of Prometheus work if it was a 10 foot skeleton or an elephant creature?  It would be laughably ridiculous. 

And how else is Ridley Scott supposed to show the evolution of the xenomorph?  That's the entire basis of these prequels.

It's an original idea, having an android create the beast.  It's one step above Island of Dr Moreau.

It appears all so called fans want is generic b-grade 1950s era monsters.  Lovecraftian my foot.  It's just the same old monster in space routine that's been done countless times.

Whats different from a 10 foot elephant skeleton that wakes up and rips your head off without saying a word. To a 8 foot white Albino man that wakes up without saying a word and rips your head off?

If anything the elephant man makes more sense in a film about Aliens. I doubt anybody in the audience would question a weird monster going bezerk, but they sure had plenty of puzzled looks ( and youtube videos) about a humanoid just losing his shit for reasons unknown.

Biomechanoid

Biomechanoid

tleilaxu

tleilaxu

Quote from: Highland on Dec 19, 2017, 02:19:15 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 18, 2017, 10:32:18 PM
Then best you just watch Alien 1-4 where the origin isn't explained, because how is a narrative going to work if you don't include humans?  How would the opening scene of Prometheus work if it was a 10 foot skeleton or an elephant creature?  It would be laughably ridiculous. 

And how else is Ridley Scott supposed to show the evolution of the xenomorph?  That's the entire basis of these prequels.

It's an original idea, having an android create the beast.  It's one step above Island of Dr Moreau.

It appears all so called fans want is generic b-grade 1950s era monsters.  Lovecraftian my foot.  It's just the same old monster in space routine that's been done countless times.

Whats different from a 10 foot elephant skeleton that wakes up and rips your head off without saying a word. To a 8 foot white Albino man that wakes up without saying a word and rips your head off?

If anything the elephant man makes more sense in a film about Aliens. I doubt anybody in the audience would question a weird monster going bezerk, but they sure had plenty of puzzled looks ( and youtube videos) about a humanoid just losing his shit for reasons unknown.
Actually the albino man is much more significant because of the connotations with transhumanism (in a sort of general sense) and ancient human Gods. I.e. we feel like we're standing before an Übermensch (let's ignore the nazi connotations here).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed