I hate Alien Covenant

Started by GetThat81, Aug 11, 2023, 02:40:44 AM

Author
I hate Alien Covenant (Read 10,668 times)

oduodu

oduodu

Scott always assures fine talent. But somehow it doesn't always gell.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I did not enjoy the movie, but the novelization was much better.

SM

SM

Third best film behind Alien and Aliens.

littlesprout

littlesprout

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2023, 08:42:48 PMThird best film behind Alien and Aliens.

Over Prometheus?

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

4th best movie after Alien, Alien 3 and Aliens

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Oct 24, 2023, 08:42:48 PMThird best film behind Alien and Aliens.

AC is better than the AC?? :o

SM

SM

Quote from: littlesprout on Oct 24, 2023, 10:22:53 PM

Over Prometheus?

Covenant was more of a complete film.  Prometheus asks a question than answers it halfway, that asks another question that it never answers.  And spins its wheels a bit in the second half with return trips to the temple pyramid thing.  So it's fourth best.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 24, 2023, 11:12:19 PM

AC is better than the AC?? :o

By a fair margin.

ralfy

ralfy

It's likely a reboot of the franchise because most viewers had never seen the earlier movies. Similar happened to Mad Max and others.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Huh?

Stitch

Stitch

Quote from: ralfy on Oct 25, 2023, 11:37:44 PMIt's likely a reboot of the franchise because most viewers had never seen the earlier movies. Similar happened to Mad Max and others.

No. It's not.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

And for that matter, Fury Road isn't a franchise reboot either. It's just another tale of Max in the Wasteland, as all of the sequels have been.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I like Covenant..

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Stitch on Oct 26, 2023, 08:57:32 AM
Quote from: ralfy on Oct 25, 2023, 11:37:44 PMIt's likely a reboot of the franchise because most viewers had never seen the earlier movies. Similar happened to Mad Max and others.

No. It's not.

Just the production design of the prequels show a world far different from the retro design of the first few movies.

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 26, 2023, 10:59:55 AMAnd for that matter, Fury Road isn't a franchise reboot either. It's just another tale of Max in the Wasteland, as all of the sequels have been.

I think it's a reboot because Max's son became a daughter, although some argue that it was someone else's child or that Max was hallucinating. Also, the car shows up, although some argue that it's another car or that Max was hallucinating as well.

Miller implies that it's a reboot:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/cannes-how-george-miller-rebooted-794780/

although weirdly enough, the comic book version of the movie makes it a sequel to the third movie. That point will be hard to explain unless one brings in the hallucination angle.

In any event, I'm guessing that most young people who saw the movie were not able to watch the first three movies, which is why the writers decided to just retell the first movie briefly in order to give context to Max's situation, and then repeat the main storyline of the second movie (chasing the truck) plus borrow ideas from the third movie (the community dependent on a tyrannical leader for resources).

Similar likely happened to the prequels: most young people who saw them did not watch the first four movies. At the same time, they've been used to movies with lots of CGI. So producers upped the production design and borrowed elements from the first few movies (like the ship travelling to a planet to explore and discover alien organisms, a tall heroine with short, black hair, white T-shirt, and sneakers, a crew member named "Tennessee," and so on).

BTW, similar happened to the Star Wars sequels, with the young urchin on a desert planet, another WMD, and so on.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

I have a friend who loves horror and she isn't familiar with Alien at all, this was her Alien movie which she watched in theaters, her opinion was "this was the first movie to unironically put me to sleep in theaters, I'm not joking."

Ingwar

Ingwar

Covenant is not a horror movie. Also, she watched it out of context. I'm not surprised she was bored as horror lover.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed