Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 187,007 times)

DaddyYautja

RIP ALien and Predators.

Pred movies will now have the preds play an intergalactic game of tag instead of taking trophies.

ALiens will now just kiss people and make them sick instead of facehugging them.

Darkness

I think it's a good thing overall  It really is time for a new studio to look at the franchises with a fresh pair of eyes. We've endured nothing but rubbish from this series for the last 20 years. It's not the end of R-Rated movies - they saw how successful Deadpool and Logan were. Even though Fox eventually got their act together with X-Men, the X-Men franchise rightfully belongs to Marvel. Now, all they need is to get Hulk back from Universal.

Hemi

Does this mean we can actually have an Avengers movie WITH X-men?

tleilaxu

Quote from: x-M-x on Dec 14, 2017, 01:27:40 PM
So does this mean covenant 2/awakening? is a no go?
I loved Covenant, but it does seem that Fox deliberately tried to maximize the presence of the Xeno in both the movie and the marketing campaign. Best case scenario would be Disney letting Ridley do whatever he wants. Even if we don't get that, at least Ridley will probably NEVER agree to a pg-13 Alien/Prometheus-universe film.

PVTDukeMorrison

An animated remake of Aliens with more quips

SM

Quote from: tleilaxu on Dec 14, 2017, 07:58:19 PM
Quote from: x-M-x on Dec 14, 2017, 01:27:40 PM
So does this mean covenant 2/awakening? is a no go?
I loved Covenant, but it does seem that Fox deliberately tried to maximize the presence of the Xeno in both the movie and the marketing campaign. Best case scenario would be Disney letting Ridley do whatever he wants. Even if we don't get that, at least Ridley will probably NEVER agree to a pg-13 Alien/Prometheus-universe film.

Disney doesn't let anyone at Marvel or Lucasfilm do whatever they want. Not sure they'd start now despite Alien's lower rsnking on the totem pole.

Local Trouble

Isn't SM worried that Disney will make a G-rated Alien flick?

SM

Local Trouble

SM isn't being suitably apoplectic about all this.

Dabaus

Disney acquiring fox is a good thing as far as alien goes. Alien 1 being as good as was  was almost an accident and a perfect storm of great ideas. Even then fox suits couldn't help themselves and forced the idea of the android in the plot out of the blue. Turns out it was a good idea but suits forcing pet ideas into these films are probably why the franchise is what it is today.
     Aliens had a good foundation to work with thank to the great plot and life cycle introduced into alien 1. James Cameron had a solid vision and knew whhat he wanted the story to be. Plus since its guns shooting bam bam shoot em up, fox suits probly didn't meddle as much. Alien is the best one in my opinion.
     Alien 3 was a mess mainly because giler and hill couldn't find a good script and weren't smart enough to figure out where the franchise should go or. We had a lot of interesting drafts for alien 3 which ultimately ended up a Frankenstein of ideas from past scripts.
     Alien resurrection tried to revive the series but it was so weird of a film that I think it turned people off. Fox let the ip go doemant and made the trash tier avp movies to further damage the brand.
     So Prometheus happens and it is said to be an alien prequel and that got fans excited. Original director taking us back to where it all began and where the alien comes from. Awesome. But lateninto develoment then fox CEO Rothram told Ridley to make Prometheus its own film. Lindlelof edits John slights (excellent I might add) script to make it Be a sci if film with loose alien associations.
     Fans were disappointed that it wasn't a direct prequel so the franchise is put on ice again. Then blomkepmk has a idea for a solid alternative alien 3 film that reunites old favorite characters. Fans are excited and fox is interested.
    Old man scott drunk off his ass catches wind that young up and coming director that actually had a passion for the franchise wants to mak a new film. Ridley stumbles to his phone and drunkenly tells the fox execs that HE wants to make an alien film. Fox tells him point blank it needs to have aliens in it. Fox and Ridley decide to pretend Prometheus never happened.
    Scott after taking a huge swig of whiskey says "you want aliens, I'll give ya f**kin aliens. So scott retcons Prometheus as if it never happened by killing off all the engineers for no damn reason. Retcons all alien lore by having a rogue angry android create the alien, and over all makes a shit film. Then has the audacity to have it have a cliff hanger ending so ONLY he can make the sequel. Scott is holding this franchise hostage while killing it at the same time.
     So here we are. The franchise is badly damaged thanks to compromises from fox and Scott. Scott wants to make another alien film apparently without the alien. Scott is obsessed with David who, while an interesting character, isn't really that interesting. It's just fassbenders perfomance was one of the few positives from Prometheus that I think they overplayed him.
    Disny couldn't be worse than fox. Maybe they'll have the balls to take away this franchise from Ridley and put someone on there who gives a damn. It's the least we could ask for.

Baron Von Marlon

No need to worry about PG-13

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/14/deadpool-will-stay-r-rated-disney-sees-opportunity-for-r-rated-marvel-brand

Aside from that, Disney can release R-Rated movies through other studios/companies they own.

RakaiThwei

What can I say that hasn't been said? I suppose, all I can say is... it's the end of an era and the beginning of a new.

Fox era Alien-Predator
1979-2018

Here's a swan song to Fox's run..

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 14, 2017, 10:03:12 PM
SM isn't being suitably apoplectic about all this.

Too tired.

Gate

Disney! Give Blomkamp 200 million dollars, right now!!

Scorpio

Quote from: DaddyYautja on Dec 14, 2017, 06:51:53 PM
RIP ALien and Predators.

Amen.

After seeing what they've done with Star Wars, I dread what they will do with Alien.  The Last Jedi is the worst SW film ever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed