The Cinemacon Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2018, 03:37:39 PM

Author
The Cinemacon Thread (Read 76,629 times)

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 01, 2018, 02:06:22 AM
Quote from: CelticP on May 01, 2018, 01:16:01 AM
I'm down with all this weird stuff to be honest. I really want to see this series go to new places, whether they work or not. I think just doing the same story about a Predator hunting people, and then some random guy fights it and kills it is really boring and I love the idea of human teamed up Predators. It's kind of a rad, campy concept that develops the creatures in a unique way. That they are intelligent and will go after threats that affect them, including their own kind.

Plus like, a Predator riding a tank is the best kind of pulpy comic book style this series needs. I like Predators a lot, but it does tread water a bit. I like the things they added, but I want to them to go harder.

Even if it doesn't work, I'd rather someone try and evolve the series than keep it stagnant. It's a movie at the end of the day.

I've been saying this forever. we don't need another movie about another clueless group of humans running around being hunted. It's time to take risks.

That's why all comics where about this very concept and most of them successfully told a proper story.

They didn't have to resort to extremes, tamper with the basics. And may be it's me, but bigger isn't always better. Sometimes it's best to have a more intimate setting.

I once toyed with writing a script that focussed on the usual cloak and dagger stuff and humans slowly realising what they are encountering, following increasingly intimate traces, starting with butchered bodies, slowly getting closer to the main predator himself. It was more of a detective story with thriller elements than a big scale film.
I even think (toyed with it in small scale concept years ago and I lost the notes) I had a character McKenna in there, which is a lot of coincidence.

I only wanted focus on the Predator and his background as a character, not just as a monster. No AvP aztek references, no AvP comic book influences, no home planet, just a detailed creature with slightly more background than we had in the first two films.

Point being while I am open for improvement and change, the fundation of the character needs to be the same. This script sounds like it's not, and the trailer description seems like there hasn't changed too much.

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Skull splitter I hear you bro , they are called predators for a reason because they hunt for sport. The film title was also a play on words as Dutch was the ultimate predator in the end. I agree with you that certain qualities of the predator should be universal and kept intact because it's at its most basic , it's character development and what we know a predator is. They come here to hunt us , what are we going to do about it ? You can't play about with their mythology too much , because it takes something away from them imo, as The Predator will prove. This humanisation of predator will end up hurting the franchise because it's not necessary, they were supposed to mimic human language not actually speak it , the predators are cool without us , they have their own customs and lore that could of been expanded on. And like I said before where's the self destruct been defeated lore? Since when would a predator allow itself to be captured ? We will have to see but none of it looks good skill splitter.

Highland

Highland

I would be slightly more confident if it weren't for The Mandirin, when Black pulled a Ryan Johnson years before.

So either we are getting trolled ( which is difficult to say without footage), or we can be prepared for the most mind bending story beats since Batman and Robin.

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: The Wolverine PredatorYeah, I don't see why so many wanna be so negative about a draft that's old and seems to have changed in some ways, I'm betting this movie is gonna be pretty damn good and Shane has been trying to keep it as quiet as possible.
Becasue you can be quite sure that this 'old' draft will be the base of the film. It might be changed here and there a bit but the core elements (young boy, genetical modification, the characters, etc.) remained. And that's exactly what is (are) bad about the draft: the core elements.
Anyway, for example the locations are quite good I think.

Quote from: skull-splitterThis script sounds like it's not, and the trailer description seems like there hasn't changed too much.
Yeah, exactly. The trailer description matches the leaked script.

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADERSince when would a predator allow itself to be captured?
I think there's nothing wrong about it. Why couldn't it be a Predator captured? They tried it already in P2.
I like the idea but the way
Spoiler
this captured Predator is handled in the followings (i.e. using human weapons instead of his own) is bullshit. Not to mention the other 2 friendly Predators.
[close]

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Xerxesz my main gripe with captured predators is they would self destruct long before there was a chance to. P1 and P2 both shown this, when the alien is either cornered or defeated it chooses to self destruct to prevent its attackers from ever getting the chance.

Xerxész

Xerxész

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADERXerxesz my main gripe with captured predators is they would self destruct long before there was a chance to. P1 and P2 both shown this, when the alien is either cornered or defeated it chooses to self destruct to prevent its attackers from ever getting the chance.
I meant the P2 slaughterhouse scene where Peter Keyes planned to stun/freeze the Predator.
If the Predator has the chance to launch the self-destruction mechanism, then he does, yes. But what if the Predator has no chance to start the process? If he is stunned before it...

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

See comic book "captive".

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Yeah I mean it's plausible sure , but it seems a little degrading imo. It really takes away what was so badass about them in the first place. And as for predators in human clothes , and using human weaponry that's just a whole other ball game altogether for me.

Original Predator

Original Predator

Quote from: skull-splitter on May 01, 2018, 10:35:19 AM
Quote from: Jigsaw85 on May 01, 2018, 02:06:22 AM
Quote from: CelticP on May 01, 2018, 01:16:01 AM
I'm down with all this weird stuff to be honest. I really want to see this series go to new places, whether they work or not. I think just doing the same story about a Predator hunting people, and then some random guy fights it and kills it is really boring and I love the idea of human teamed up Predators. It's kind of a rad, campy concept that develops the creatures in a unique way. That they are intelligent and will go after threats that affect them, including their own kind.

Plus like, a Predator riding a tank is the best kind of pulpy comic book style this series needs. I like Predators a lot, but it does tread water a bit. I like the things they added, but I want to them to go harder.

Even if it doesn't work, I'd rather someone try and evolve the series than keep it stagnant. It's a movie at the end of the day.

I've been saying this forever. we don't need another movie about another clueless group of humans running around being hunted. It's time to take risks.

That's why all comics where about this very concept and most of them successfully told a proper story.

They didn't have to resort to extremes, tamper with the basics. And may be it's me, but bigger isn't always better. Sometimes it's best to have a more intimate setting.

I once toyed with writing a script that focussed on the usual cloak and dagger stuff and humans slowly realising what they are encountering, following increasingly intimate traces, starting with butchered bodies, slowly getting closer to the main predator himself. It was more of a detective story with thriller elements than a big scale film.
I even think (toyed with it in small scale concept years ago and I lost the notes) I had a character McKenna in there, which is a lot of coincidence.

I only wanted focus on the Predator and his background as a character, not just as a monster. No AvP aztek references, no AvP comic book influences, no home planet, just a detailed creature with slightly more background than we had in the first two films.

Point being while I am open for improvement and change, the fundation of the character needs to be the same. This script sounds like it's not, and the trailer description seems like there hasn't changed too much.

Weird cuz this was Black's original plan for the movie. 

Shane????  Is that you????

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 01, 2018, 03:43:50 PM
Yeah I mean it's plausible sure , but it seems a little degrading imo. It really takes away what was so badass about them in the first place. And as for predators in human clothes , and using human weaponry that's just a whole other ball game altogether for me.

Honestly the "idea" of allied preds....is just bad. 

Just taking that element out would make these movies better.  Even AVP.  "working" with Alexa was tacky during it's best moments.  Having the Pred "use" her as bait or a "tool", or in a way that he's manipulating/pulling strings without her knowledge as a way to defeat the queen.  Would have been way cooler and plausible.

Sort of like a hunter sending a rabbit into a field to draw out the Wolf.....

We've got to scrap this concept.

Love the captured Pred concept tho that you could take a lot of places. 

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Original Predator , I agree a captured predator I could live with , but predators teaming up with humans is not my cup of tea , not one bit. It's dumb , it's stupid and it's just not something I can get onboard with.  I will leave the cinema early if it has not been toned down, because it's just complete nonsense imo. "A bad idea" is putting it lightly
;D

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: ELDERCLANLEADER on May 01, 2018, 04:10:49 PM
Original Predator , I agree a captured predator I could live with , but predators teaming up with humans is not my cup of tea , not one bit. It's dumb , it's stupid and it's just not something I can get onboard with.  I will leave the cinema early if it has not been toned down, because it's just complete nonsense imo. "A bad idea" is putting it lightly
;D

Don't forget that the predator let himself get captured in the script, it's specifically stated, he has an ulterior motive, so the self destruct option wasn't right for him...

ELDERCLANLEADER

ELDERCLANLEADER

Yeah we will have to see how this all ends up BigDaddyJohn but it's hardly the most exciting script in the world, and usually when a script is bad , so is the film. But there are exceptions to the rule , and it's the only reason I'm holding out for the movie.

I have to give it at least a chance before I slate it. Because I could just be wrong , it's unlikely but it could be a kick ass film and I have to try and allow it to be.

But in the four years it's been in production , nothing has come out that has been exciting for me, it's just been one headache after another , whether it's the dodgy script , the late trailer , the constant push backs , the secrecy around the film. Fox have hardly sold us this film , I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't even know it's out in September, my uncle loves predator and even he wasn't aware of the film until I told him last month. The marketing front for this film has been practically none existent.

goose_3387

goose_3387

It's May. The film is out in the 4 months and there is still no trailer or marketing of any kind. I want this movie to be good but the push backs and secrecy suggest otherwise.

Mr. Xenomorph

Mr. Xenomorph

I could see the concept of Predators and human team-ups working, but only if they contrasted it with the main Predator being a lone wolf and show it as being out of the norm. Then have the lone wolf hunting the team-up Preds because they are infidels breaking the laws of the hunt.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

I'll be ready to eat my words. Just don't expect it to surpass P2

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed