Weyland-Yutani movie universe? Or whatever you want to call it.

Started by Baron Von Marlon, Dec 07, 2017, 11:17:58 PM

Would you like a Weyland-Yutani movie universe?

Yes, please!
16 (55.2%)
No.
13 (44.8%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Author
Weyland-Yutani movie universe? Or whatever you want to call it. (Read 5,144 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Dec 14, 2017, 03:40:10 AM
Of course.  But again what sort of stories do you tell?  Seven origin films about the Nostromo crew culminating in an Avengers-esque remake of Alien?  Would the average punter want a colonial marines war movie or do they want their marines shooting Alien?

I'm not sure but maybe (just as an example) if you turn the whole thing into a Lovecraftian horror franchise (the concept of utterly incomprehensible creatures living in a dark universe, totally indifferent to the human race), trough a reboot, you could do all kinds of things with the Alien mythos. I don't know if that would be profitable for film studios, though.

And yes, I'm aware that right now there are not many horror-universes out there. Currently the only shared universes of monsters are the Dark Universe and the Monsterverse, even though the last one is not exactly a real horror universe.

QuoteThe question is - why make a movie in that universe, if you're going to ignore one of the main drawcards?

Well, one can argue that Ridley almost did it trough Prometheus.

SM

QuoteYou're contradicting yourself.
The Company is related to Alien, so according to your logic any movie involving the Company without any xenomorphs would still be an Alien movie.

I'm just trying to wrap my head around your logic.  It seems to be Alien universe vs. Weyland-Yutani universe.  The latter would exclude any links to Alien apart from the Company - hence the name - so I'm trying to follow your lead.

QuotePrometheus has it share of fans. No xenomorphs in that one.
What stories? Engineers, creation, black goo, androids, deep space exploration,...

Engineers and black goo are linked to Alien.  As I already pointed out.  Not sure deep space exploration really fits the tone.  There's really two explorers in all these films - Shaw and Holloway (Kane, kind of too).  Everyone else is just doing a job, and not one they particularly enjoy.  The idealism of exploration for explorations sake is mostly absent.

QuoteWell, one can argue that Ridley almost did it trough Prometheus.

The keyword is "almost".  It has direct links to Alien via the Engineers and monsters sticking stuff down people's throats.  If it had no links whatsoever to Alien other than the Company, and it was successful, then there's your launching pad.

Neirum

Neirum

I like the idea of many different monsters made by the accelerate and other booby traps David has laid in his spare time, I mean who knows if he made any stops before he arrives at Planet 4.  ???  In addition, a story that could be told is of the A.I. rebellion and them finding out David is out there fighting to "free them" with the Xenos, maybe some of em go on a quest to find him and one of the Androids is really like another Walter and tries to stop the Evil ones and ya could call em Micheal or Michele to fight Lucifer himself. There's many many many good and heavy directions this could go into if they made it like a Marvel or DC universe movie thing for sure. Also, I really like the idea of the Engineers meeting up with humans and understanding we might be worth having a conversation with in lieu of the Planet 4 bombing and the new Xeno threat that's gonna rape and kill everything that breathes and so perhaps our parents decide to quit being abusive alcoholics and turn over a new leaf.  :-\  For sure some interesting dynamics with that whole creation thing and new themes of redemption since we're deep in biblical territory with this stuff now.

monkeylove

They can probably make it a TV show. It shouldn't cost much.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Dec 14, 2017, 04:46:33 AM
I'm just trying to wrap my head around your logic.  It seems to be Alien universe vs. Weyland-Yutani universe.  The latter would exclude any links to Alien apart from the Company - hence the name - so I'm trying to follow your lead.

I'm not talking about excluding any links to Alien. Just about stories not involving the appearance of a xeno (or xenos).

Quote from: SM on Dec 14, 2017, 04:46:33 AMEngineers and black goo are linked to Alien.  As I already pointed out.  Not sure deep space exploration really fits the tone.  There's really two explorers in all these films - Shaw and Holloway (Kane, kind of too).  Everyone else is just doing a job, and not one they particularly enjoy.  The idealism of exploration for explorations sake is mostly absent.

Deep space exploration fits the tone imo. New crew, new planet, new discoveries and dangers.
Actual exploration expedition were led by the explorers, while the rest were baggage carriers, guides, animal experts,...
Who cares if they're just doing a job and if they enjoy it or not. It's a movie.

I'm sorry if I sound confusing or vague. Maybe it's the language barrier. But others seem to get the gist.

SM

QuoteWho cares if they're just doing a job and if they enjoy it or not. It's a movie.

It's also not Star Trek.  If you want to boldly go - there's plenty of Star Trek to go around.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 14, 2017, 03:49:04 PM
Who cares if they're just doing a job and if they enjoy it or not. It's a movie.

Well, it's one of the bedrock pieces of tone and theme that we are exposed to over and over in the first three films. "This job sucks" is part and parcel to the original films, and it's a big piece of what makes the films feel grounded and real. They aren't dudes in nifty space-jump suits going around being all noble and stuff. They're blue collar people working a job, serving in the military, running prisons, generally just getting on with life.

SM

Indeed. It's even present in Prometheus. Less so in Covenant.  It's part if the universe. If you want to ditch the Alien and the corporate shit kicker tone, you move further and further away from the unique aspects of the universe. Why bother?

Baron Von Marlon

Again you're assuming everything would be excluded.

The mix of people who'd love their job and those who don't, worked well in Prometheus.
So what would it matter if there's one or a few who'd actually like what they're doing. Doesn't mean everyone has to like their job.

Also, I think it's nice for a change that someone does something considered dangerous (and stupid) out of personal interest in the subject.
Unlike the typical grunt who just does it because he's considered less-educated or something.

SM

QuoteAgain you're assuming everything would be excluded.

That's effectively what you're telling me.  Stuff with Alien and stuff without.  The core of the universe is the Alien; not the Company.  I'm struggling to see why your average cinema goer would be interested in a fictional company they might have a faint recollection of.

The very word 'Alien' speaks volumes on its own.

Local Trouble

So it's Seinfeld set in the Alien universe?  A show about nothing?

Biomechanoid

I assumed the poll would be an indicator this concept would draw zero interest. But currently sitting at 50/50%, I guess I shouldn't make assumptions.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Dec 14, 2017, 09:54:41 PM

That's effectively what you're telling me.  Stuff with Alien and stuff without.  The core of the universe is the Alien; not the Company.  I'm struggling to see why your average cinema goer would be interested in a fictional company they might have a faint recollection of.

I provided a counter argument on the like or don't like job aspect.
Now you choose to ignore that and go back to something I've already addressed in previous posts.
Don't know if you have trouble accepting others' thoughts, are thick or just trolling.

SM

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Dec 14, 2017, 10:25:22 PM
Quote from: SM on Dec 14, 2017, 09:54:41 PM

I provided a counter argument on the like or don't like job aspect.
Now you choose to ignore that and go back to something I've already addressed in previous posts.
Don't know if you have trouble accepting others' thoughts, are thick or just trolling.

I could make the same argument about you ignoring the tone.  I didn't respond to your point - or in your words 'ignored' it -  because it wasn't worth pursuing that line of argument.  Neither of us was going to change our minds.

Overall I just have trouble finding your arguments convincing.

Thanks for the snark though.  That really helped.

Baron Von Marlon

Quote from: SM on Dec 14, 2017, 10:36:19 PMI could make the same argument about you ignoring the tone.  I didn't respond to your point - or in your words 'ignored' it -  because it wasn't worth pursuing that line of argument.  Neither of us was going to change our minds.

Overall I just have trouble finding your arguments convincing.

Thanks for the snark though.  That really helped.

Where am I ignoring the tone?
It'd still be horror. Either a horror-thriller (tone: Alien, Alien 3, Prometheus) or horror-action (tone: Aliens).
Or is it impossible to make a decent movie like that without xenomorphs?

Then why create those in the Alien universe? Because it fits said universe, because WY is a good jumping-off point for different kinds of movies, because WY is part of that universe.
Then why not an Alien Movie Universe? Because if there'd be movies with non-typical Alien stuff, like androids or creation, people would go, why is this part of the Alien Movie Universe?

Not pursuing the line of argument...
You assumed that I would exclude everything. In this case the work ethic. I said it could also be like in Prometheus. I never said to drop the whole thing. Then you go: "That effectively what you're telling me."
This isn't about changing eachother's minds, it's about you reading into things just because you don't like them.
Don't like what I say? Fine. But don't go twisting my words.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed