Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 300,214 times)

Son Of Kane

That look exactly the same?

C'mon, the fact is there's no explanation good enough for the dumb production choices in both AVP films.

Hell, I might even find the first entertaining as a non-canon spinoff if they hadn't used those god-awful A:R designs.

predxeno

Not saying it's the perfect explanation, but I work with what I've been given.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 07, 2015, 01:18:08 AM
That look exactly the same?

To be fair, descendents can look a lot like their ancestors. This even applies from parent to offspring.

Michael Douglas is a spitting image of his father, Kirk.

Son Of Kane

Only you don't need to hamfist it, you could take the more logical approach but it's your preference I guess Predxeno.

Also Rakai- even if Bishop wasn't a problem there's still the outstanding issue of how the Aliens look which I will never ever, ever, ever be able to accept.

Close Encounters

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 07, 2015, 01:09:04 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2015, 01:05:32 AM
It's all about determining where they fit in which timeline/universe; for example, the AVP films probably fit in the Alien 3 universe while Prometheus will fit in the Alien 5 universe.

What about the two human Bishops then?

You can always use the Aliens: Colonial Marines excuse(sacrilege, I know.). In that game, it was revealed that the Bishop from Alien 3 was a synthetic. And since that game features the end of Alien 3, so most certainly takes place in that universe, the problem is solved.

predxeno

Not really, the Bishop in Alien 3 had red blood while the Bishop in A:CM had white blood and is said to be modelled after the real Michael Weyland, make of that what you will. :-\

NetworkATTH

It's all a little bit confused without much needed implications to clarify things, is what I make of it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2015, 02:50:11 AM
Not really, the Bishop in Alien 3 had red blood while the Bishop in A:CM had white blood and is said to be modelled after the real Michael Weyland, make of that what you will. :-\

And if the Big Deletion EU material is to be assigned and migrated to the Alien 3 universe as well, along with the AvPs, one could explain that the Michael Weyland is a special customized unit who was programmed to emulate more emotion, like the Bueller synthetic in the old EU, and has red lubricant similar to the synthetics seen in Civilized Beast... You've got something going.

But then if you count the Assembly Cut as a sub-alternative universe as well, then that pretty much makes the whole specialized Synthetic idea fall apart and Michael Weyland is a potential descendent of Charles Bishop Weyland, and is human.

Two Alien 3 timelines/universes. Heh heh heh heh...

Close Encounters

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Mar 07, 2015, 02:59:11 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2015, 02:50:11 AM

And if the Big Deletion EU material is to be assigned and migrated to the Alien 3 universe as well, along with the AvPs, one could explain that the Michael Weyland is a special customized unit who was programmed to emulate more emotion, like the Bueller synthetic in the old EU, and has red lubricant similar to the synthetics seen in Civilized Beast... You've got something going.

But then if you count the Assembly Cut as a sub-alternative universe as well, then that pretty much makes the whole specialized Synthetic idea fall apart and Michael Weyland is a potential descendent of Charles Bishop Weyland, and is human.

Two Alien 3 timelines/universes. Heh heh heh heh...

Wait, what if that Bishop was a clone of the original Weyland from AVP! Hear me out.

Yes, it takes crazy scientists over 200 years to clone Ripley. However she could have been a particularly difficult case of cloning due to the xeno-hybrid part of the blood sample. Cloning a generic human, however, is much easier. So ever since the original Weyland's death of Predator in 2004, the Company has kept blood samples in order to one day clone their founded. And a certain time before Alien 3, they accomplished this goal. MY LOGIC IS UNDENIABLE!

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Omegazilla on Mar 06, 2015, 11:03:59 PM
Selective reasoning; it being a different medium is hardly relevant.
What? It's entirely relevant. The films were their own thing. They only ever followed what made it into the previous films. How many film sequels can you honestly name that were beholden to what licensed material invented in the interim?

The movies didn't follow the comics because why would they? Did anybody honestly expect them to adapt the comics as movies? Hell no. Maybe some people, but certainly not the majority -- and certainly not the general audience of the films.

The films followed the films, not the comics. This has been consistent so far. That's the precedent. If Alien3 had been set post-comics, nobody would have any idea what the f**k was going on. There'd be this massive three-story arc of Aliens overrunning the Earth, Ripley, Hicks and Newt joining back up to fight Aliens, destroying homeworlds, etc. that would be entirely missing from the plot unless you went out and read the comics.

Different mediums is important, because as much as people try to make it all work into canon, the film studio is never going to rely on people reading comics or novels as official sequels to the story to understand what's going on. They'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 03:49:17 AM
What? It's entirely relevant. The films were their own thing. They only ever followed what made it into the previous films. How many film sequels can you honestly name that were beholden to what licensed material invented in the interim?

Well, the Silent Hill games were beholden to the Silent Hill comics series and characters that first appeared in the comics also made their way into the games.

Also, the first AVP movie was like completely beholden to the first AVP comic ever, canonizing practically every single little detail about Predator culture that issue had to provide.

KiramidHead

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 07, 2015, 04:49:12 AM
Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 03:49:17 AM

Well, the Silent Hill games were beholden to the Silent Hill comics series and characters that first appeared in the comics also made their way into the games.

The Silent Hill games only really started tying into the comics directly when Tom Waltz started writing them, which is three stories so far. The bulk of them before that were coked out nonsense that no one could really understand.

RakaiThwei

Also, the first AVP movie was like completely beholden to the first AVP comic ever, canonizing practically every single little detail about Predator culture that issue had to provide.

I know a lot of people don't like the AvP movie, but I liked the AvP movie for this reason. It essentially took the core concepts of Predator culture and canonized them.  Albeit it was a different spin with the whole pyramid thing going on, I think that the main concepts were pulled off nicely in the movie. It took the elements of what made the Yautja concept so popular and made the concrete... AvP holds a lot of the stuff from the old EU which I liked.. AVP was an EU thing, never really a concept at all in the films until 2004. I grew up with all of that stuff and I was happy with the first movie.

Requiem, I could do without even though I like Requiem but I could definitely do without the sequel movie. I just wish that Davis hadn't decided to abandon that franchise and allowed for at least... one more movie to attempt to redeem it.

Instead.. we wound up with PREDATORS... and Prometheus... And the whole EU reboot. Doesn't really make me happy to know and feel that the stuff which made AvP well... AVP, pretty much potentially gone up in smoke with the direction Fox is going. And no, Fire and Stone doesn't count because that's more of a Prometheus thing.

Anyway get your pitchforks and torches folks... I'm ready.

C'mon.. DO IT... DOOOOOOO EEEEET!!

SiL

I specifically said "film sequels".

QuoteAlso, the first AVP movie was like completely beholden to the first AVP comic ever, canonizing practically every single little detail about Predator culture that issue had to provide.
It took elements, but it's a loose adaptation at best, and isn't a direct sequel (or prequel, for that matter) of it. That's what I'm getting at.

Not ignoring the comics would mean having the third Alien film be a sequel to Female War. Something like that is never going to happen, at least not with this series. Yes, prequel comics were made for Predators, but they're not at all necessary to the plot and they were conceived after the film as marketing material; the film wasn't a continuation of the comics.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SiL on Mar 07, 2015, 06:24:53 AM
Yes, prequel comics were made for Predators, but they're not at all necessary to the plot and they were conceived after the film as marketing material; the film wasn't a continuation of the comics.

Weren't the PREDATORS comics also contradictory to the films as well in some aspects?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed