Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film

Started by Gazz, Feb 19, 2015, 12:27:30 AM

Author
Blomkamp is officially making an Alien film (Read 297,956 times)

KiramidHead

I like to think that the Engineers worship a Yog-sothoth type Lovecraftian being, and they took its genetic material and created both the xenos and the black goo from it.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Mar 13, 2015, 11:35:37 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Mar 13, 2015, 10:18:57 PM
Ditto.

I also like the idea that the Engineers discovered this life form and were in awe of it.
Basing their technology and their research completely on its biology.

This is exactly what I'd like, although I'd also be totally cool with the creatures we've seen thus far not being the "true form" of the Alien - perhaps it's just what happens when the organism is exposed to Engineers/humans (although I'm not saying KENNER ALIENS FUND IT NOW, I mean that it might not always even be an animal, it could already manifest as a virus or biomechanical technology before the Engineers even started to play with it).

That's an interesting idea that I like.  Maybe the xenomorph homeworld is one big interconnected biomech hive, similar to what we see in some of Giger's landscapes:

The xenomorphs as we know that could be offshoot beings whose sole purpose is to seed new worlds with this technology.  Who knows; maybe after several hundred years, or maybe even just decades, alien hives could begin to take on a more mechanical appearance as the society develops.  Another idea would be to go back to the idea of the alien reproducing once in its own lifetime through egg morphing, with the aliens born from queens simply precursors to a more advanced breed.  These super aliens, though being completely alien in their behavior, could be far more intelligent and dangerous, and each succeeding generation being more advanced than the last.  The ultimate goal of this society would be to literally merge the entire universe into one perfect organism; not a mass of distinct individuals who are part of a hive mind like the Borg, but a constantly shifting singular organism that is the composite of all sentience in the universe boiled down to its purest state.

Magegg

Yay! I'd love to see the xenomorph origin planet for Alien 5!! :D

KiramidHead

Quote from: Magegg on Mar 14, 2015, 12:31:26 AM
Yay! I'd love to see the xenomorph origin planet for Alien 5!! :D

Maybe Wilks will get his revenge.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 14, 2015, 12:18:12 AM
Ditto.

I also like the idea that the Engineers discovered this life form and were in awe of it.

This is exactly what I'd like, although I'd also be totally cool with the creatures we've seen thus far not being the "true form" of the Alien - perhaps it's just what happens when the organism is exposed to Engineers/humans (although I'm not saying KENNER ALIENS FUND IT NOW, I mean that it might not always even be an animal, it could already manifest as a virus or biomechanical technology before the Engineers even started to play with it).

That's an interesting idea that I like.  Maybe the xenomorph homeworld is one big interconnected biomech hive, similar to what we see in some of Giger's landscapes:

http://art.vniz.net/giger/Giger-Biomechanical_Landscape_I_No_297.jpg

The xenomorphs as we know that could be offshoot beings whose sole purpose is to seed new worlds with this technology.  Who knows; maybe after several hundred years, or maybe even just decades, alien hives could begin to take on a more mechanical appearance as the society develops.  Another idea would be to go back to the idea of the alien reproducing once in its own lifetime through egg morphing, with the aliens born from queens simply precursors to a more advanced breed.  These super aliens, though being completely alien in their behavior, could be far more intelligent and dangerous, and each succeeding generation being more advanced than the last.  The ultimate goal of this society would be to literally merge the entire universe into one perfect organism; not a mass of distinct individuals who are part of a hive mind like the Borg, but a constantly shifting singular organism that is the composite of all sentience in the universe boiled down to its purest state.

Love it, pretty much how I've been viewing the creature for some time now. I still enjoy more traditional interpretations too though.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: [CANCERBLACK] on Mar 14, 2015, 12:49:03 AM
Quote from: Born Of Cold Light on Mar 14, 2015, 12:18:12 AM
Ditto.

http://art.vniz.net/giger/Giger-Biomechanical_Landscape_I_No_297.jpg

Love it, pretty much how I've been viewing the creature for some time now. I still enjoy more traditional interpretations too though.

That would be the beauty of the series; it would be multilayered.  On one level, you could have stories like the AVP games and old comics with marines, swarms of aliens, crooked corporate schemes and maybe the occasional predator.  On the other hand, there could be more epic stories about the society and culture of these super aliens and how they are slowly encroaching on the rest of the galaxy, with a heavy Alien/Isolation/Giger feel.  One idea is to have the Engineers actually be the slaves to the upper elite xenomorphs, not the masters as has seemingly been portrayed up til now.  Maybe their odd appearance and heavy use of alien-based technology is due to them being heavily warped by the Alien mass, with them being more like humans in the far distant past.  It could also explain their complete ruthlessness (who the hell wakes up after thousands of years and decides that committing genocide should be the first order of business?)

Another point is that while I totally understand why Ridley and Blomkamp want to move away from the AVP films, I think that predators could have a productive role in the Alien universe as a singular species who has managed to avoid destruction at the hands of the aliens and whose culture has been shaped by the conflict.

Son Of Kane

Please, f**k no, no "humanised Aliens" no technologically advanced Aliens, no "final plan" no never, that would utterly ruin the enigma and entire character/idea of the "Alien".

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 14, 2015, 02:53:50 AM
Please, f**k no, no "humanised Aliens" no technologically advanced Aliens, no "final plan" no never, that would utterly ruin the enigma and entire character/idea of the "Alien".

Who says that they have to be technological as we know it?  I don't want xenomorphs piloting starships and leading invasions but I think making them more than giant space wasps is a good idea.  Their conquest wouldn't have to be traditional, but something that occurs over millions of years through random events that we see in the movies.  And more advanced aliens would not have to be humanized at all, just stronger and more intelligent.

Son Of Kane

I see, I'm all for that idea but I'm afraid that it would be extremely hamfisted and corny if someone attempted to portray it, instead of subtle.

Y'know what I would like to see acting human though? The Deacon, I imagine it eerily human toying with the orrery.

Born Of Cold Light

A full grown Deacon, if done right, could be absolutely terrifying beyond anything we've seen before, if some of the designs from the concept art used.  I think something that has been lost in all Alien sequels was the use of the slow stalking that was seen in the first film.  When the alien encountered Brett, it didn't just leap down and yank him up like what happened with Superintendent Andrews, but rather it seemed to unfurl and almost study Brett before attacking.  Then there is of course the scene with Lambert where the alien slowly rose from the floor and clearly took its time with her.  And finally there was the scene where the alien didn't immediately attack Ripley at the end until Ripley blasted it with liquid nitrogen.  There were hints of a broader consciousness beyond just a simple predator and I think that that should be explored further.

When it comes to 'advanced' aliens, I agree that they should not be human and should carry themselves like an alien.  Your idea of subtly is a good one and is reflected well in some of Giger's earlier works:

This thing is clearly not human and doesn't seem to exude anything close to human emotion, yet it's more nimble hands are a sign of a creature that can work and think in a sophisticated manner.  This combination of alien brutality with just a touch of refinement and played by someone with the skill of Bolaji Bodejo could be bone chilling on screen.

NetworkATTH

In my opinion I still stand by the idea that The Aliens have no one "homeworld", they just are waiting in the canyons and rocks and caves of multiple worlds for whatever reason, from contamination and to intentionally letting worlds thrive. Perhaps, if they thought they would be wiped out, the Engineers could have let the last batch of people they created become a Sufficiently Advanced Civilization and land on it, and take it home with them, and let it spread. Or maybe they're just there as worlds as crops fields, in a sense letting the evolution of these biomechanical beings take place while several generations of these human trials on many worlds the Engineers have seeded, so that after say, two (there can't have been more than four maybe five human cultures over several billion years), they re visit the world and see where they can improve, because of how these creatures are built to be robust survivors. Or there's just on there, for some other reason. Maybe a rock from space contained a spore, and impacted a barren world and a violent parasitic/sexual ecology blossomed from there, developing life that are so resistant to environmental conditions and each others nigh unstoppable predation, they could ravage any compatibly weak human world. Maybe there's so much pressure and environmental conditions on most that they go unexplored because of reasons not usually delved into by science fiction. Such as more restrictive gravity, pressure that would turn burst or implode any human vessel, acidic rain, volcanic activity, you get the idea.

I'd imagine these worlds not to be, say, biomechanoid oceans of Giger, but more,

Gate

Xenomorphs could also just be terraforming tools. Look at what they can thrive in. Imagine if there was an entire eco-system genetically engineered to co-exist with the Xenos and placed on specifically harsh planets to build it up and thrive for the Engineers.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: NetworkATTH on Mar 15, 2015, 01:11:18 AM
In my opinion I still stand by the idea that The Aliens have no one "homeworld", they just are waiting in the canyons and rocks and caves of multiple worlds for whatever reason, from contamination and to intentionally letting worlds thrive. Perhaps, if they thought they would be wiped out, the Engineers could have let the last batch of people they created become a Sufficiently Advanced Civilization and land on it, and take it home with them, and let it spread. Or maybe they're just there as worlds as crops fields, in a sense letting the evolution of these biomechanical beings take place while several generations of these human trials on many worlds the Engineers have seeded, so that after say, two (there can't have been more than four maybe five human cultures over several billion years), they re visit the world and see where they can improve, because of how these creatures are built to be robust survivors. Or there's just on there, for some other reason. Maybe a rock from space contained a spore, and impacted a barren world and a violent parasitic/sexual ecology blossomed from there, developing life that are so resistant to environmental conditions and each others nigh unstoppable predation, they could ravage any compatibly weak human world. Maybe there's so much pressure and environmental conditions on most that they go unexplored because of reasons not usually delved into by science fiction. Such as more restrictive gravity, pressure that would turn burst or implode any human vessel, acidic rain, volcanic activity, you get the idea.

I'd imagine these worlds not to be, say, biomechanoid oceans of Giger, but more,

I really like some of these ideas, especially the concept of multiple human races (I'm actually experimenting with this idea in a story that I am writing).  The Engineers could indeed have seeded multiple worlds with their DNA to create distinct species, with humans possibly being the most successful.  There are three other interesting theories that I have.  One is that humans were created as a last ditch effort to save their line before they went extinct.  As we know from both Alien and Prometheus, the Engineers' control over their bioweapons was shaky at best, and it is possible that at the time of the creation of mankind that they were going extinct due to a major war or some other calamity concerning their weapons, and that humans were created so that their race was not completely obliterated.  Another theory is that while we see the Engineers as the masters of their creations, they might in fact be the slaves.  If xenomorphs are indeed the tip of the iceberg of some inconceivable, monolithic, godlike monstrosity, it is possible that this thing was using the Engineers to further its spread through the creation of bioweapons which might in fact not be bioweapons but carefully crafted vessels for spreading this super species.  If this is the case, the Engineers might have looked more human in the past but were warped by their master's influence and were gradually losing their humanity.  The creation of humans might have been one last act of rebellion before they succumbed, and an effort to keep their people alive in a pure and uncorrupted state.  They might have in fact hoped that one day the humans would come back and destroy the abomination that enslaved their people.  The Engineer at the end of Prometheus might not have been doing his own desires but may have been completely enslaved to a higher power that saw humans as a threat that needed to be eliminated (which would be completely in line with the series as that's how xenomorphs view all beings that aren't themselves).  A third theory is that the creation of humanity might have been done by a group of schismatics who committed heresy by creating an identical species.  The scene at the beginning of Prometheus seemed much more like a religious ceremony than a scientific experiment.  Also, this might explain the reason for the final Engineer's desire to destroy the human race, as he might have seen the existence of humans as an unacceptable blasphemy.

In terms of your idea about the evolution of aliens, it is an interesting one, and if true, it might mean that there are other, similar xenomorph-like species scattered around the galaxy.  And I do like the desolate design you picked for the world, as it would be the perfect place for a species as tough and nasty as the xenomorphs to have evolved.  The Giger environment would probably be more fitting to the Engineer homeworld (especially if their society had been wrecked/enslaved by their 'weapons').  If, however, the xenomorphs are part of a larger, techno-organic virus of some kind, the Giger landscapes could be the final evolution.  I mentioned before that the alien hives we see could simply be a starting point for something larger.  Maybe, after a period of time, the queen lays a special egg that gives birth to a singular, more advanced being that begins to rework the hive into a more technological environment as we see in Giger's paintings and in the interior designs of the juggernauts and Engineer temples.  I personally think that the idea of the alien reproducing only once is a fascinating one, especially the idea originally put forth by Ridley that the succeeding creatures would be much less animalistic than the original one.  With each succeeding generation, these hyper evolved aliens could further build on the hive until it reached a state of perceived perfection, and then waited for an opportunity to spread.

SiL

Sooo, Stargate, basically.

Born Of Cold Light

Quote from: SiL on Mar 15, 2015, 05:50:19 AM
Sooo, Stargate, basically.

Well, ideally, humans on Earth would be the only successful seeded race while all others would have degenerated somehow.  Also, I don't see how the idea of the evolving xenomorphs has anything to do with Stargate.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed