Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting?

Started by Frosty Venom, Sep 30, 2018, 07:21:54 AM

Which trio of films is better?

Prometheus, Alien Covenant and Alien
44 (52.4%)
Aliens, Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection
40 (47.6%)

Total Members Voted: 84

Author
Which three Alien films would you rather watch in one sitting? (Read 20,881 times)

seattle24

Quote from: SM on Dec 06, 2020, 08:46:41 PM
Quote from: seattle24 on Dec 06, 2020, 06:27:54 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 06, 2020, 04:57:54 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 06, 2020, 04:55:10 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 06, 2020, 10:06:09 AMPaul W. S. Anderson is just not that good directing.

I'd question that.

The tone may have been all wrong but he made that film look a hell of a lot more expensive than it was.

Yeah, if he'd been allowed to set it in space or use a fresh Alien design, like he wanted, it might even have been good.

I often think if the design of the creatures was better in AvP, would it be a better movie? You know what? I think yeah. Because if he got anything right it was the delicacy of making sure one creature didn't come across as the whipping boy. It was especially refreshing to revisit AvP after watching Requiem, in which not only was the Alien design/practical effects horrendous, they were literally useless fodder (nothing to do with the effects of course). The sewer scene in which Wolfe rises with an Alien in each hand? WTF  ???

But yeah.... sure as hell takes you out of a movie when you're thinking look how giant those flippity flappy hands are on the Alien suit, among many other things. It's not like Anderson shot them particularly poorly.

I'm not sure better creature design would fix the dull characters, lack of tension and lack of fights.

Yes, that's fair! Said fights also suffer from poor editing and CGI. "Better" was a poor choice of word.

SM

The fights are half decent.  Well the first one is.  But it's less than five minutes out of a 90 minute flick.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Dec 07, 2020, 12:46:44 AM
The fights are half decent.  Well the first one is.  But it's less than five minutes out of a 90 minute flick.

Blew their load too early on the flashback

SiL

That scene is about 3/4 the way through the movie.

Kradan

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 06, 2020, 11:45:08 PM
Quote from: bb-15 on Dec 06, 2020, 10:06:09 AMPaul W. S. Anderson is just not that good directing.

I'd question that.

The tone may have been all wrong but he made that film look a hell of a lot more expensive than it was.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/b0/79/70b0793e8b0ce8afc61eec57629f5944.gif

nah it's laughable garbage.

But I love that scene !

HuDaFuK

Quote from: skhellter on Dec 06, 2020, 11:45:08 PMhttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/b0/79/70b0793e8b0ce8afc61eec57629f5944.gif

Way to completely ignore the bit where I said the tone is still all wrong.

I could counter your gif with one of the dropship entering the atmosphere in Aliens, because frankly those effects look hokey too.

Rankles75

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Dec 07, 2020, 09:36:57 AM
Quote from: skhellter on Dec 06, 2020, 11:45:08 PMhttps://i.pinimg.com/originals/70/b0/79/70b0793e8b0ce8afc61eec57629f5944.gif

Way to completely ignore the bit where I said the tone is still all wrong.

I could counter your gif with one of the dropship entering the atmosphere in Aliens, because frankly those effects look hokey too.

The one of the dropship when Ripley's going back to rescue Newt is worse.

Corporal Hicks

I'd question that.

Agreed there. Fight chorography, characters, story, etc, all that other stuff aside, AvP didn't look cheap. I'll always appreciate that from AvP. IIRC they could only afford 3 of those torches.

It's a shame we didn't get to see him go future, Event Horizon Paul Anderson could have at least been a little more interesting.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SiL on Dec 07, 2020, 04:55:45 AM
That scene is about 3/4 the way through the movie.

Shows how often I watch it then, I guess.

SiL

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 07, 2020, 10:53:27 AM
Agreed there. Fight chorography, characters, story, etc, all that other stuff aside, AvP didn't look cheap.
To be honest that's more production design than direction, which speaks more to his ability as a producer to find the right people.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Dec 07, 2020, 11:41:52 AM
Agreed there. Fight chorography, characters, story, etc, all that other stuff aside, AvP didn't look cheap.
To be honest that's more production design than direction, which speaks more to his ability as a producer to find the right people.

That's what I was personally alluding to. The sets look great for the money spent? That's a great production designer. The shots make the sets look better than they are? That's a great cinematographer. You're great at maximizing every dollar spent? You're a great producer. You're great at hiring the right people, also you're a great producer.

It's more rare these days, but I know some directors can negotiate final approval on these hires, but as a director you have to bring out the best in these people and make all the pieces come together in a single dramatic vision and work, like a coach, resulting in an entertaining well made film. In that area, to me, he fails.  I just don't think Paul W. S. Anderson is that guy.

This all makes me think of James Cameron, where it's been said multiple times that he can do practically everyone's job better than they can.. cameraman, lighting, cinematography, storyboards, concept art, editing... that with his constant meddling/assistance, he makes almost everyone better around him. Pissed off, yes,  :laugh: but also better. Cameron can wear so many hats it frustrates him sometimes he had to rely on other people. But that's of course a rare breed!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Dec 07, 2020, 11:41:52 AM

Yeah, that's quite true. My mistake. 

Stompy the Perfect Xeno

Spoiler
Maybe the only creepy  Alien moment. AVP needed more of this. Predators also needed one creepy scene, too. Something like the one in the subway from Predator 2.
One AVP3 needs to go in the creepy direction, not in the versus direction.

To the poll:
Alien is best movie, but I can't suffer the prequels to watch in a row.
Alien Resurrection is better to swallow. Second choice I go.

SM

There was potential in the Connors/ Verheiden/ Miller 'death' scenes - but the editing was choppy and I think they overdid the quivery lip thing.

Gr33n M4n

I'm surprised that more people would rather sit through the prequels than watch Aliens and A3.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed