Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1050

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 565,395 times)

crazygoji

crazygoji

Aliens.

Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

As many other here, I consider Aliens to be the magnum opus of the Alien franchise.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Lone Wolf on Jun 15, 2009, 07:39:40 PM
As many other here, I consider Aliens to be the magnum opus of the Alien franchise.

Makes me sad.  :'(

Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Jun 15, 2009, 07:42:16 PM
Quote from: Lone Wolf on Jun 15, 2009, 07:39:40 PM

Makes me sad.  :'(

Hehe, mind being nice and telling why?

gigerfan241

gigerfan241

magnum opus!?!?  whats your problem? I laugh at your judgement of the best movie! here i go. HA HA HA HA HA HA!                HA!

ALIEN is waaaaaay better than ALIENS. sure aliens is good but not the "magnum opus" or whatever. but we all intitled to are own opinion. but seriously bad judgement.

Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Quote from: gigerfan241 on Jun 15, 2009, 08:41:37 PM

magnum opus!?!?  whats your problem? I laugh at your judgement of the best movie! here i go. HA HA HA HA HA HA!                HA!

ALIEN is waaaaaay better than ALIENS. sure aliens is good but not the "magnum opus" or whatever. but we all intitled to are own opinion. but seriously bad judgement.

Wow, take it easy. Yes, I consider James Cameron's entry in the series to be the best, but why do you react so ... strongly? It's my opinion, you don't have to agree, I respect your opinion. And the reason I chose the word magnum opus is that both Alien and Aliens are masterpieces, but Aliens is still a better movie, and magnum opus is a word to describe greatest work, and Aliens is the greatest work of the Alien franchise. But I can understand why some people consider the original better, because it's the films are so different, it's more about what genre you like.

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

Quote from: gigerfan241 on Jun 15, 2009, 08:41:37 PM

Obvious trolls are obvious...

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Lone Wolf on Jun 15, 2009, 09:07:09 PM
Hehe, mind being nice and telling why?

I will...

Yes, I consider James Cameron's entry in the series to be the best, but why do you react so ... strongly? It's my opinion, you don't have to agree, I respect your opinion. And the reason I chose the word magnum opus is that both Alien and Aliens are masterpieces, but Aliens is still a better movie, and magnum opus is a word to describe greatest work, and Aliens is the greatest work of the Alien franchise.

Aliens might be the magnum opus of James Cameron, but claiming that it is the magnum opus of a whole Alien franchise is beyond being bold, especially since all the four movies in the franchise are pretty different from each other.

Another thing that really provokes me here, is that a straight-up Hollywood tradition movie is seen as "being the better movie" than Alien and Alien 3, which are two movies that are way more advanced film-wise, and deep even, compared to the crowd pleaser Aliens. Sure, Aliens is a great sci-fi action movie, just like Alien is a great sci-fi horror movie whereas Alien 3 is a great sci-fi thriller drama. And some people consider A:R to be a great sci-fi splatter/action comedy.

But I can understand why some people consider the original better, because it's the films are so different, it's more about what genre you like.

Bingo! Personally Alien 3 is at par with Alien right now for me.

Nachtfalke

Nachtfalke

It really does depend on the genre you prefer as there are a couple of genres at least within the franchise. 'Alien' and 'Alien3' are horror films, 'Aliens' and 'A:R' are clearly action films.
If you talk in terms of what is most entertaining, 'Aliens' is my pick, but the most atmospheric is 'Alien'. 'Alien' is also technically better than 'Aliens' in how it is shot and directed IMO.
I will, however, always chose 'Aliens' if it came down to picking one as my fave Alien film.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Quote from: Nachtfalke on Jun 16, 2009, 02:02:34 AM
'Alien' is also technically better than 'Aliens' in how it is shot and directed IMO.

Thats an interesting statement sicne Jim wanted to be consistent stylistically with the first movie as well. Studied the way Ridley shot movies and all of his techniques for a long time before starting shooting himself. He copied same use of shadows, angles, zooms and used same lenses. Of course he threw in soome of his style too, but mostly copied Ridley's technques. Thats quite impressive if you ask me, since most of the sequels wouldnt care about stuff like that

FearPeteySodes

FearPeteySodes

Quote from: JamesCameronOnline on Jun 16, 2009, 12:44:11 PM
Quote from: Nachtfalke on Jun 16, 2009, 02:02:34 AM
'Alien' is also technically better than 'Aliens' in how it is shot and directed IMO.

Thats an interesting statement sicne Jim wanted to be consistent stylistically with the first movie as well. tudied the way Ridlley shot movies and all of his techniques for a long time before starting shooting himself. He copied same use of shadows, angles, zooms and used same lenses. Of course he threw in soome of his tyle too, but mostly copied Ridley's technques. Thats quite impressive if you ask me, since most of the sequels wouldnt care about stuff like that

Very impressive for sure. If it seemed that way Nacht i would venture to guess it had to do with JC's crew having double the budget.  Both are amazing films and both my favorites depending on my mood when you ask me.  ;D

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Absolutely.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Peteysodes on Jun 16, 2009, 12:48:13 PM
oth are amazing films and both my favorites depending on my mood when you ask me.  ;D

Entirely agree with this comment. The initial trilogy are IMHO all equal. However, depends on what kinda mood you're in since they are all three very different films.

JamesCameronOnline

JamesCameronOnline

Im with you. I really love the first three movies, the first two maybe just a notch above the third one, but still. I do acknwoledge the holes and faults of A3, but that doesnt mean I dont enjoy it a whole lot

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Yeah, each movie of the original trilogy definitely CAN hold a candle to each other and to its own - they're all equally strong, yet very different compared to each other. So yeah, it all depends on what mood you're in and what kind of movies you fancy.

I'm not a big fan of action movies and indisputable story arcs and fast-paced narratives with clear trajectories. I like slow movies with endings that are open for interpretation, melancholic, bittersweet, status quo-esque or just downright sad. Movies with hero(es)/heroine(s) that are superhuman and completely pawn the enemy make me root for the antagonist(s)... Every time an elf or human were snuffed in the LOTR movies, I sheered! During the movies I hoped that Legolas, Eomer or Aragorn would bite the dust, even though I have read the books a gazillion times.

In my fan-edit of Aliens Ripley & Co hit the cryos right after the atmosphere processor nuclear blast - I can't stand the Queen vs. Powerloader fight because to me it's so incredibly stupid and on top of that it doesn't fit the established 'realism' and reality of the Alien universe.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed