Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2015, 01:45:05 AM

Author
Alien 5 Delayed "Pending" Alien: Paradise Lost (Read 54,267 times)

pred169

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 07, 2015, 08:34:46 AM
I think the best case scenario here is that Scott and Blomkamp bounce really well off each other. I think it's good to have a guiding hand looking over the franchise but we really need Scott to be on point.

What they both really need is a strong writer to work alongside them.
I agree. Good direction is one thing but without good writing that direction pretty much amounts to a Michael Bay film.... guns, explosions, fires, and a bunch of screaming. Not that it's any less entertaining.. but definitely not what I want to see in another alien film. Especially if it is trying to put the franchise back on the rails.

predxeno

Considering how Star Wars Episode VII is also a film for fans and its subsequent success, would Blomkamp's Alien V really be that bad of an idea?

The Alien Predator

But Episode 7 didn't overwrite any of the films though.

(Yes, it did overwrite the EU and that pissed off so many fans just like Blomkamp's idea is to some of the fans here, except his one wants to undo two films apparently.)

windebieste

Let's see the response you get from fans when you suggest to them 'The Force Awakens' should be retconned because Han Solo died.   It was just a dream and he should get the ending he deserves.

This will be good.

-Windebieste.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 31, 2015, 09:35:47 PM
Let's see the response you get from fans when you suggest to them 'The Force Awakens' should be retconned because Han Solo died.   It was just a dream and he should get the ending he deserves.

This will be good.

-Windebieste.

LOL!  Touche!

The Alien Predator

This will be good.

-Windebieste.

Return of the Jedi should be retconned because Emperor Palpatine and Darth Vader didn't die and deserve a better ending!

*Feels a rumble, a raging fanboy stampede*

I'm outta here! May the Force be with you all!

RakaiThwei

If they do retcon Alien 3 and Resurrection, they better not do the dream route..

I don't mind the retcon if they simply ignore it... because then I could well... give this fandom/franchise up on a good note.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: predxeno on Dec 31, 2015, 08:24:17 PMConsidering how Star Wars Episode VII is also a film for fans and its subsequent success, would Blomkamp's Alien V really be that bad of an idea?

Take away the continuous fan-pleasing homages and The Force Awakens was an incredibly empty movie. Absolutely not what I want from an Alien film.

Elmazalman

The new STAR WARS movie played it too safe.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 31, 2015, 09:43:08 PM

This will be good.

-Windebieste.

LOL!  Touche!

Ok, this is OT, but there are at least 2 significant differences to consider between Newt / Hicks and Han Solo's deaths.

1.  The death of Han Solo was an integral part of the Star Wars 7 film whereas the death of Newt / Hicks was done in a sleight of hand manner in the opening credits of the film as if the characters did not have any value.  Han Solo had a "good death" paying full respect to the fans' emotional investment, while Newt / Hicks were disposed of like trash, thereby insulting the fans' emotional investment.

3.  Resultingly the fan response to Alien 3 was terrible, while the fan response to Star Wars was terrific.  There is no need to worry about retconning a film that had a terrific fan response.  Questionable, fluffy story notwithstanding.

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 01, 2016, 09:30:23 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Dec 31, 2015, 09:43:08 PM

This will be good.

-Windebieste.

LOL!  Touche!

Ok, this is OT, but there are at least 2 significant differences to consider between Newt / Hicks and Han Solo's deaths.

1.  The death of Han Solo was an integral part of the Star Wars 7 film whereas the death of Newt / Hicks was done in a sleight of hand manner in the opening credits of the film as if the characters did not have any value.  Han Solo had a "good death" paying full respect to the fans' emotional investment, while Newt / Hicks were disposed of like trash, thereby insulting the fans' emotional investment.

3.  Resultingly the fan response to Alien 3 was terrible, while the fan response to Star Wars was terrific.  There is no need to worry about retconning a film that had a terrific fan response.  Questionable, fluffy story notwithstanding.
It wasn't terrible(unlike P2)It was a hit in Europe but now it is more appreciated because of the directors cut.

predxeno

Out of curiosity, how many people watch the "director's cut"?  I get the feeling only the hardcore Alien/sci-fi fans watched it while more casual moviegoers are happy to settle for the theatrical release that's always been available.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: predxeno on Jan 02, 2016, 05:19:27 AM
Out of curiosity, how many people watch the "director's cut"?  I get the feeling only the hardcore Alien/sci-fi fans watched it while more casual moviegoers are happy to settle for the theatrical release that's always been available.

I think more casual people just dont pay attention to Alien 3.  The idea that Alien 3 was well received by fans baffles me.  How do you gauge that in a pre-Internet age?  Just going by the numbers alone doesn't tell us the true or complete story.  The fact that a lot of people went to see the film internationally, just means that people wanted to see a great follow-up to Aliens most likely.  It was Aliens that brought them into the theaters.  Yes it could have been a commercial success with a lot of people walking out of the theaters being like, "what the f--k did I just see?"

predxeno

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 02, 2016, 06:39:35 AM
It was Aliens that brought them into the theaters.  Yes it could have been a commercial success with a lot of people walking out of the theaters being like, "what the f--k did I just see?"

So basically the same reaction to every Michael Bay Transformers film after the first one. :laugh:

windebieste

Michael Bay should make 'ALIENS: Colonial Marines' into a movie.

Who cares if it's any good?  Will still make bank. 

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed