Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,740 times)

Huggs

Huggs

Mud - Bluray

Good movie. Several things in here that reminded me of people I knew and where I grew up. I enjoyed it.

3/5

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Battle of Britain

Slightly ashamed to say I'd never seen this before.

I really like these oldschool war films with an absolute litany of stars in. They just don't really do it anymore. Special effects range from surprisingly good (building actual model aircraft to blow-up in flight) to kinda dodgy (the unconvincing "all of London is aflame" stuff). Still, an enjoyable movie with lots of explosions and a greatperformance from Laurence Olivier as the man taking the whole thing far more seriously than anyone else.

I liked that the Germans were actually all German actors, too. Not so common to see back in the day.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Return of the Living Dead
A classic Comedy Horror. When its funny its pitch black comedy, when its Horror. Damn is it great

Wysps

Wysps

The Three Amigos.  I'd forgotten how ridiculous those three are in that movie  ;D 

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 28, 2018, 11:14:37 AM
A classic Comedy Horror. When its funny its pitch black comedy, when its Horror. Damn is it great

"You mean the movie lied?!?"

Prez

Prez

"Send more cops!"

;D ;D ;D

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Wysps on Nov 29, 2018, 01:28:32 AM
The Three Amigos.  I'd forgotten how ridiculous those three are in that movie  ;D

Would you say, it had a "plethora" of jokes?

Wysps

Wysps

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 29, 2018, 03:00:36 AM
Quote from: Wysps on Nov 29, 2018, 01:28:32 AM

Would you say, it had a "plethora" of jokes?

I'd have to triple check the definition of that word first  ;)

SM

SM

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 28, 2018, 08:53:00 AM
Battle of Britain

Slightly ashamed to say I'd never seen this before.

I really like these oldschool war films with an absolute litany of stars in. They just don't really do it anymore. Special effects range from surprisingly good (building actual model aircraft to blow-up in flight) to kinda dodgy (the unconvincing "all of London is aflame" stuff). Still, an enjoyable movie with lots of explosions and a greatperformance from Laurence Olivier as the man taking the whole thing far more seriously than anyone else.

I liked that the Germans were actually all German actors, too. Not so common to see back in the day.

It's amazing to consider some of the aerial stuff was filmed by a dude with a camera hanging on a parachute harness under a helicopter.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I dread to think how risky some of the stuff was back then. Watching the bigger aerial battles towards the end, it got me wondering how none of the pilots collided, there are so many planes cartwheeling about. Nowadays you'd more likely than not just do it all in a computer and save yourself the risk assessment (although I doubt they existed in 1969).

I'm by no means a hater of CGI, but watching the film really got me thinking about how much I appreciate and miss old-fashioned practical effects. Good or bad, they always seem to have a certain charm that I just don't get with digital, and they generally strike me as being more impressive because someone had to actually make them with their hands.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: KiramidHead on Nov 29, 2018, 01:29:05 AM

"You mean the movie lied?!?"

Quote from: Prez on Nov 29, 2018, 01:52:54 AM

"Send more cops!"

;D ;D ;D

"This Barrel was made by the US Military"

Light Tap. Bursts Open

lmfao

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

"Fanboys". It was a good time, but you have to be pretty familiar with Star Wars, Star Trek and Aint it Cool News to appreciate the jokes.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 29, 2018, 09:44:14 AMYeah, I dread to think how risky some of the stuff was back then. Watching the bigger aerial battles towards the end, it got me wondering how none of the pilots collided, there are so many planes cartwheeling about. Nowadays you'd more likely than not just do it all in a computer and save yourself the risk assessment (although I doubt they existed in 1969).

I'm by no means a hater of CGI, but watching the film really got me thinking about how much I appreciate and miss old-fashioned practical effects. Good or bad, they always seem to have a certain charm that I just don't get with digital, and they generally strike me as being more impressive because someone had to actually make them with their hands.

Check out The Blue Max (1966) if you want another great war film. It has some of the most impressive aerial combat I've seen in any film.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Never Sleep Again: The Elm Street Legacy
Crystal Lake Memories: The Complete History of Friday the 13th

Huggs

Huggs

Hotel Transylvania 3 - Bluray

I liked it. Sandler and crew really have a good thing going with these movies.

3/5

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed