Last Movie You Watched

Started by Terx2, Dec 05, 2012, 05:12:31 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched (Read 842,508 times)

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

The Odessa File.
A fantastic film. Great performances and some great twists and turns. Although on some scenes the music is out of place.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Old One on Jun 05, 2018, 10:26:53 AMThat's probably the worst singular opinion I've ever seen on the X-Men franchise or any franchise, better than Logan or DOFP?

Logan was definitely a good film, but I left with the distinct impression that if you removed all the blood and violence, you honestly wouldn't be left with anything particularly special. I absolutely got the feeling most of the gushing praise the fans heaped on it was simply down to the fact it was R-rated, rather than because it was especially superb.

Is Days of Future Past the one that starts in the future with them virtually extinct? I remember that being pretty naff. In fact the prequel series in general (what I've seen of it) has been a mess. I find it funny you claim The Last Stand "caused all the continuity problems" when it seems like it's mostly the prequels that came after which have been beset with continuity issues.

To be honest, I'm generally not a massive fan of superhero films (with a few notable exceptions like Batman and Iron Man), and I think I like The Last Stand so much because it shatters the one major convention that annoys me with most superhero movies - the fact no one ever f*cking dies. What threat is there if every hero character is invulnerable? I remember really sitting up when Cyclops dies in The Last Stand, because it made me think, "Oh, shit, they ain't messing around this time..." Suddenly I was invested because the threat felt real and far more serious. There were a few really good death scenes, especially the one where Xavier buys it.

I'm fully aware everyone will disagree with my opinion lol. But there you have it.

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Jun 05, 2018, 11:42:08 AMThe Odessa File.
A fantastic film. Great performances and some great twists and turns. Although on some scenes the music is out of place.

On TV just now? Me too :laugh:

The Old One

The Old One

TLS caused continuity problems because it had nothing to do with Simon Kinberg's outline, nor did Origins.
Apocalypse was a straight f**k up.

If you removed the blood entirely from Logan it would still be the best film of the past year.

DOFP did everything TLS did but better in every capacity. TLS is the TLJ of X-Men and I mean that with every drop of venom I can muster.

But Batman Returns is the MVP.

MudButt

MudButt

The acting, directing, and script for Logan make that movie so much more than a superhero movie. The violence was just the kick the fans wanted because for so long we had got this restrained Wolverine. It was the perfect send off for a great character brought to life by Hugh Jackman.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Cyclops' death doesn't really mean anything, though. It's just a lazy way of establishing stakes... like when the New Jedi Order books started off by dropping a f**king moon on Chewbacca. :laugh:

Huggs

Huggs

The Towering Inferno on Blu-Ray. So cool to see McQueen and Newman on screen together. Love those old school disaster flicks.

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

American Ninja 2: The Confrontation
A Fun sequel. They are all having a laugh while filming you can tell

American Ninja 3: Blood Hunt
This was awful. It had no link to the first two bar Jackson. The fight scenes didnt have that flair this time around either

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 06, 2018, 03:12:53 AMThe Towering Inferno on Blu-Ray. So cool to see McQueen and Newman on screen together. Love those old school disaster flicks.

Great film!

I find a lot of the old 70s disaster films tend to frustratingly waste their potential, but that one's excellent.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

The legit best ones are Towering Inferno and Poseidon Adventure.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Saw Deadpool 2 last night. Great film. Especially loved the Bond-parody opening credits with the Celine Dion song.

If I had any real complaint it's that I still think they should've gone with Stephen Lang for Cable over Brolin.

Baron Von Marlon

Baron Von Marlon

Colors (1988)
With Robert Duvall, Sean Penn and MarĂ­a Conchita Alonso.
Probably my favorite Sean Penn movie. Duvall is good as usual and Alonso a nice addition like she always was back then.
Late eighties were perfect for cop movies.

Homegrown (1998)
Only saw this once but I didn't remember anything besides the beginning. I wonder why.
Overal pretty good but mainly because of the cast. Movie itself is lacking something.

Kenny And Company (1976)
11 year olds growing up in California suburb.
Nice movie.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: Baron Von Marlon on Jun 06, 2018, 09:48:35 PM
Kenny And Company (1976)
11 year olds growing up in California suburb.
Nice movie.

From the director of Phantasm.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jun 06, 2018, 11:23:56 AM

The airport movies weren't too bad either. I need to pick up Earthquake again sometime too. I seem to remember Heston drove a cool old blazer in that one. It had a custom transmission with like 15 freakin gears.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 06, 2018, 09:56:34 PM

The airport movies weren't too bad either. I need to pick up Earthquake again sometime too. I seem to remember Heston drove a cool old blazer in that one. It had a custom transmission with like 15 freakin gears.

My 78 year old mother tells me how when seeing this film (or was it Towering Inferno) in the cinema as a young woman how the crowd cheered when one of the leads said `sh*t' ... a big deal back in the day for that cuss word to be used.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Prez on Jun 07, 2018, 12:23:08 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 06, 2018, 09:56:34 PM

My 78 year old mother tells me how when seeing this film (or was it Towering Inferno) in the cinema as a young woman how the crowd cheered when one of the leads said `sh*t' ... a big deal back in the day for that cuss word to be used.

That would be McQueen in Towering Inferno. He says it near the end when he's told somebody (him) has to go blow the water tanks at the top of the tower to put out the fire. It's intimated that it's basically a suicide mission. McQueen was also the same actor to drop the famous "bullshit" line in Bullitt. To think such language was once taboo is frightening. The generation of innocence, I think they called it.

On a side note, my mother also saw it in theaters when she was a kid. She said the whole theater erupted into applause when Richard Chamberlain's character fell. Adios to the bad guy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed