Yes, to the Predator universe only
4 (5.3%)
Yes, to both universes
24 (31.6%)
No I do not consider the AVP movies canon
48 (63.2%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author
Do you consider the AVP movies canon? (Read 22,148 times)

Giger Beast

What do you guys think?

I vote no.

Kaltes

They don't really fit well into Alien continuity and it has no impact of the Predator continuity whatsoever, you could pretty much ignore them and you'd miss nothing. So I lean towards no.

Master

I treat all films canon.

Corporal Hicks

It was filmed with the intent of being a sidesquel type thing with no continuity with the original films.

426Buddy

I consider AvP its own universe separate from both franchises.

Bughunter S. Thomson

To me it's the equivalent of counting the Star Wars holiday special as canon.

proto leech

Nope. They're trash

THE CITY HUNTER

No,both movies have been sidelined so it is retconned.

RakaiThwei

Considering that Fox, according to Tristan Jones anyway, still has the films on their canon list... I'm going to say that they are a canon. Yes, I said A canon, as in they are a branching, divergent canon from the whole Prometheus thing which is going on, and the PREDATORS - The Predator thing which is going on.

Simply put, you might as well start looking at canon like how the Godzilla franchise treats it's canon. It probably ultimately doesn't really matter in the end of the grand scheme of things. Nothing seems to be tied down.

So are they canon... Technically... Yes.. And I count them as such but I see them as a branching, divergent thing.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 20, 2016, 07:32:25 AM
It was filmed with the intent of being a sidesquel type thing with no continuity with the original films.

I remember Anderson saying that it was a sequel to Predator 2, and that it was a prequel to the Alien films but that AVP was more or less a stand alone franchise. That it wasn't going to replace either the Alien or Predator franchises, and that'd he'd love to see a Predator 3 with Arnie, and an Alien 5 with Sigourney.

As for there being no continuity... well... I think there was an intention to have it be in continuity more so with Predator. I remember that Anderson was trying to get Arnold to be in the movie, but Arnold said that only if he lost the governor election of 2004. Also, I remember there was a draft script where Lex was greeted by Dutch, and then snatched by the arm for interrogation.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

P, P2
v
v
AVP,  AVP:R
^
^
A, As, A³, AR

Simple.

RakaiThwei

Kelgaard... where are PREDATORS and Prometheus?

Kel G 426

Those films had no influence on the AVP series, having been made afterwards.

The Cruentus

Until a reboot happens, they are likely canon though because I, like the rest of you probably wish it wasn't so.

Spidey3121

Yes & no. It wanted to be, certainly, with the inclusion of Weyland. I've always associated them with the Predator franchise. Both films are about Predators, or a Predator. Also, one of AvPR's lone bright spots was the inclusion of OWLF.

Kurai

While technically I don't, I still include them in a marathon in a certain spot.

Predator -> Predator 2 -> AvP -> AvP: Requiem -> Predators -> Prometheus -> Alien -> Aliens -> Alien3 -> Alien Resurrection

So I consider them marathon canon, but then again I sometimes throw Firefly and Serenity between Alien3 and Alien Resurrection, so that doesn't count for much.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed