32 (80%)
Alien 3
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author
Aliens vs. Alien 3 (Read 9,113 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Nov 05, 2023, 10:19:55 PMAnd which bald rapist is speaking.

I'm terrible with names at the best of times, but I personally don't have any trouble keeping straight which one's which as I'm watching the film. Don't ask me to name any of them other than Morse, Dillon and Golic though.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

SM can name them in his sleep now.

SM

SM

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 05, 2023, 10:46:41 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 05, 2023, 10:19:55 PMAnd which bald rapist is speaking.

I'm terrible with names at the best of times, but I personally don't have any trouble keeping straight which one's which as I'm watching the film. Don't ask me to name any of them other than Morse, Dillon and Golic though.

Was continuing writing a video script I've been working on for the last couple of years on the weekend and it suddenly struck me how the supporting characters all get their own close up.  Like in the assembly hall after Andrews is killed, it's William's scene.  Then David gets his close up with the quinitricetyline scene. Kevin gets a smaller one during the autopsy. And Jude just gets to clean shit up after people die - either Murphy or Andrews.  Frank and Murphy in the abattoir which got cut, then they both got reinstated for the new opening in the EEV.

None of which helps the film, but it was interesting.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Junior got his rape goggles scene.

SM

SM

Probably fortunate for Ripley that Murphy got done in earlier and broke his rape goggles.

Rankles75

Rankles75

blacksymbiote

blacksymbiote

Aliens is the better made film.  That said, it hasn't aged all that well.  Alien 3's nihilistic tone has grown on me as the sequel with the closest feeling to the original.  Alien 3 still has quite a few editing and story issues though.

Neila

Neila

Aliens is the film that unites the masses and is definitely considered the better film.
I love Aliens because it did so much good for the brand and is probably the most emulated film in games and comics.
But that also made it a bit too corny for me. Almost every comic tries to evoke the action-heavy mood of the second part.
it's what most people want to see or read.

I still chose Alien 3 because the film actually dared to go in a completely different direction than the masses expected/hoped for.
I like that there is only 1 alien going on. As much as Aliens is the better film when it comes to action, machinery, the aliens have been robbed of some of their "intelligence" and partially reduced to cannon fodder.
Alien 3 is the slightly more "realistic" film because everything goes down the drain and there are no heroes. Although Aliens still has enough horror elements, it is definitely the film with more clichés.

that's why the story of the first 3 films taken together is almost perfect.
If Alien 3 were the second part, you would actually have to say that it is just a rip-off.
Because it comes after the second one and concludes the story about Ripley, it has a different meaning for me and is not just a copy of the first film.

ralfy

ralfy

I think they wanted to end Ripley's story with the third movie, which is why it looks different from the first two even though it's part of the same story.

SM

SM

Weaver wanted to end Ripley's story and encouraged Ward and Fasano to keep their original ending where she died, after Fox asked them to change it so she lived.

Main reason it looks different is they started building sets based on Ward's script and once he got the flick, Giler and Hill had to write around them.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: blacksymbiote on Dec 04, 2023, 05:10:36 AMAliens is the better made film.  That said, it hasn't aged all that well.  Alien 3's nihilistic tone has grown on me as the sequel with the closest feeling to the original.  Alien 3 still has quite a few editing and story issues though.

Not sure about that. Aliens arguably holds up better than today's Billion dollar movies. Apart from the drop ship scenes it's almost pure perfection.

Started watching Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny last night and had to double check I hadn't started watching Indiana Jones the Video game  :o

ralfy

ralfy

What's notable about the second movie is that it's mostly exposition across almost two-thirds of the movie, with the main action taking place only after that.

For newer movies, a lot of spectacle is involved because amounts invested and ticket prices are very high, so producers have to make movies that look expensive and that they hope can generate high payback.

Meanwhile, fans don't know about that, which explains why in the Avatar thread several argue that movies in the franchise are well-made because they made a lot of money, until it reaches a point when viewers realize that they are watching movies that are similar to each other. Given that, more might start moving away, deciding to just wait for the features to appear in streaming (which will happen if producers want to milk franchises as much as they can) or in bargain bins.

SM

SM

Two thirds exposition? Wut?

SiL

SiL

The exposition mostly ends when the marines get ambushed; that's about 2/5ths the runtime.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

He'd have a fair chance of knowing that if he ever saw the movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed