Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 186,958 times)

Huggs

The prequels never made it to the finish line because they stumbled right out of the gate. I don't even have to list the narrative shitups made by Prometheus. Then covenant came along as a pathetic attempt to regain footing by shoehorning xenos into a trilogy that obviously didn't want them, and they tried to sell all of this to the wrong audience.

You have the original director and an audience that's been waiting since 1997, some since 1993, and the series goes spiraling so far off into left field that you couldn't even recognize it.

Ridley was one of the key creators. He also may turn out to be one of the key people who killed it.

SiL

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 03:09:02 AM
Intention ≠ result.
Yeah but it really is in this case. They wanted to make a great scary movie and they did. That's why the film was successful; it was a well made scary movie with some really cool set pieces and designs. It was well directed, acted, photographed. People didn't walk out of theatres talking about the deeper implications and ramifications of AI, or man's place in the universe; they checked under their cars for space bugs and slept with the lights on in case the Alien popped out of the hallway.

The way some people talk about it, you'd think Alien was an experimental 70s arthouse picture.

Samhain13

Samhain13

I don't see Prometheus as "crowd-pleasing", Ridley did that one because he is into ancient astronauts stuff and well he is Ridley Scoot so Fox doesn't care if he hijackers the alien franchise for that. Alien 3 was more like "lets milk what we can from ALIENS's sucess without making it big". AVPR was made with just the hope of getting some money with some low budget, they knew people wouldn't like it from the start. Another reason why they failed.

Huggs

Huggs

It's really this simple.

There was a time when movies were meant to be different. Now they're meant to be the same.

You had ET, but you also had Alien and The Thing. There was more on the plate.

It's all marshmallows and no crunchy wheat now. If it's not a family friendly adventure film, it's niche cinema.

Magegg

Next movie has to be crowdpleasing. If it manages to, whatever means they used to achieve that, that's perfect to me.

SiL

Doesn't need to be a terribly big crowd, either. Just enough to earn money.

The Old One

The Old One

The era's irrelevant.
Safe films always annihilate unsafe films.

1982?
E.T destroyed The Thing.

2014?
Lucy destroyed Under The Skin.

SiL

Did UTS even get a wide release?

Huggs

That shout out they gave aliens in infinity war was a clue, I'd say.

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 03:27:05 AM
The era's irrelevant.
Safe films always annihilate unsafe films.

1982?
E.T destroyed The Thing.

2014?
Lucy destroyed Under The Skin.

Yes, and look at how beloved the thing is now.

There should always be room at the big boys table for that which is artistically risky and significant.

Annihilation might've took a knock at the BO, but it deserved to be made and stands tall in a sea of Michael Bay style films. It didn't have the budget of transformers, but just look at the difference.

Or Blade Runner 2049. Big budget, but underperformed. But damned if it's not a superior film that will only gather more respect as it ages. Will it happen again? No, but it should.

And I do think we've entered an era where films and lineups are becoming grossly formulaic. Just look at what happened to The Meg.

The Old One

The Old One

If Disney's Alien is safe. My commercial film interest is vapor lol.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 03:47:12 AM
If Disney's Alien is safe. My commercial film interest is vapor lol.

They'll make aliens 2. And it will be a very, very light R.

As for formulaic, forget the meg, look what happened to the predator. Tried to turn it into iron man.

I feel like my grandkids are gonna look at me one day and say "what was the deal with the humor back then? Did every movie have to be funny?"

The Old One

The Old One

It is Disney...

But...

It's current year and Blade Runner Blackout, 2049, Love Death and Robots, Annihilation, Black Mirror, Cyberpunk 2077, Under the Skin, Moon, Fury Road, Dredd, The Witch, NBC's Hannibal, The Skin I Live in and Raw exist though!

Hope exists.

Now. lol

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 21, 2019, 03:55:17 AM
It is Disney...

But...

It's current year and Blade Runner Blackout, 2049, Love Death and Robots, Annihilation, Black Mirror, Cyberpunk 2077,  exist though!

And after the performance of BR2049 and Annihilation, what are the odds we ever see more? Hell, it even happens with television. Hannibal was cancelled. Cancelled! While TWD soldiers on.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed