"Giger's Alien" and "H. R. Giger's Film Design" book info needed

Started by mikkoras, Aug 21, 2012, 11:54:51 AM

Author
"Giger's Alien" and "H. R. Giger's Film Design" book info needed (Read 4,847 times)

mikkoras

Hello.

Newbie here.

I recently bought the book "H. R. Giger's Film Design" (http://www.amazon.com/H-R-Gigers-Film-Design/dp/1883398061).

Anyone know how does it compare to this one:
"Giger's Alien" (http://www.amazon.com/Gigers-Alien-H-R-Giger/dp/1883398088)

Mainly I would like to know if there is duplicate content and if there is, how much.

Thanks in advance.

SiL

Most of the stuff in Film Design is in Giger's Alien, but there are a few images -- like an early mockup chest burster, as far as I could tell -- that aren't in Giger's Alien.

mikkoras

Thanks for the info, but could you answer the same question in reverse.

As in, how much extra stuff is there in "Giger's Alien" compared to "Film Design"? Is it worth buying "Giger's Alien" if one already owns "Film Design", "Book Of Alien" and "Alien Vault".

SiL

I'm not sure about Alien Vault, as I haven't read it, but I'd say yes. I'm certain all of the images have, at some stage, made it into the DVD, blu-ray, and endless other "making-of" publications, but it also has Giger's commentary on the project from his first discussions with O'Bannon, right up until the finished picture. If you're interested in Giger's involvement in the production it's a fairly invaluable resource just for the insight he gives into what went on.

SM

If I was going to buy books now, knowing about the content, I think the only one I'd get would be Giger's Alien.  All the stuff in Book Of Alien and Alien Vault has been exhaustively discusssed on LD, DVD and BR releases.  I've not read Giger's Alien, but bits I've heard about indicate it contains some tidbits that haven't popped up elsewhere.

LarsVader

Quote from: SM on Aug 22, 2012, 11:56:53 PM
If I was going to buy books now, knowing about the content, I think the only one I'd get would be Giger's Alien.  All the stuff in Book Of Alien and Alien Vault has been exhaustively discusssed on LD, DVD and BR releases.  I've not read Giger's Alien, but bits I've heard about indicate it contains some tidbits that haven't popped up elsewhere.
It's basically his personal production diary.

SiL

It's one of the few resources I've found which actually mentions that they filmed his mural showing the lifecycle of the Alien inside the derelict ship, for one thing.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SiL on Aug 23, 2012, 01:08:25 AM
It's one of the few resources I've found which actually mentions that they filmed his mural showing the lifecycle of the Alien inside the derelict ship, for one thing.

That was filmed? :o Now that's footage that I would love to see.

Are there any pics of that prop online, by any chance?

SiL

Never been able to find any. Giger's Alien doesn't even have images, just the same picture of the mural that every other source has.

Nightmare Asylum

Its this mural, right?

Man, I would love to see so pictures...  :-\

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 23, 2012, 02:47:05 AM

A test shot was made at least. It looks to me as if they would have included Giger's painting as it was, in the movie

LarsVader

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Sep 30, 2012, 12:06:34 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 23, 2012, 02:47:05 AM

A test shot was made at least. It looks to me as if they would have included Giger's painting as it was, in the movie
This?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAJAebEWeCc#ws

SiL

How in the heck did I miss that the dozen times I watched it?

Blacklabel

..whoaaaaaaaaaaaa..... :P

SM

Quote from: SiL on Oct 01, 2012, 06:05:10 AM
How in the heck did I miss that the dozen times I watched it?

I don't think I DID miss that the dozen times I watched it.  Surely something like that would've stood out?  I be perplexed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed