If there was a Queen in the game

Started by newbeing, Aug 17, 2018, 05:19:58 PM

Author
If there was a Queen in the game (Read 7,656 times)

newbeing

newbeing

If there was a Queen in the game how do you think it could have tied into the stealth gameplay?

I'd imagine for the most part it would have functioned similar to the normal xeno's gameplay with regards to avoiding its senses, but due to the Queen's size would involve less sporadic navigation of the environment (transitioning into vents and etc). I could see it being able to destroy hiding spots that it might have sense the player using and maybe being less susceptible to the flamethrower.

I think had there been an AI 2 we would have seen such a scenario, too bad that no longer seems likely.

Huggs

Huggs

Looking at the Hive, I'd say there was a Queen. She just wasn't part of the game. Had she been in the game, I'd have preferred a non combat role for her. Either 1 of 2 scenarios.

1. Amanda finds her way into the Queens chamber to avoid the pursuing Aliens. The room is large and dark, with a blue tint, similar to the Queens chamber from the second film. Amanda let's out some quiet dialogue, such as a "oh my God". The player is able to see the queen from about 20-30 feet away. There's some light smoke or haze in the air, and an egg can be seen being deposited on the floor near the queen. The Queen never awakens and the player is narratively forced to continue out of the chamber and back into the hive.

2. The same as above, only after a second line of dialogue or some scripted noise by Amanda, causes the Queen to awaken. After a nice animation of the Queen awakening and taking stock of the intruder, she rears her head back and screams loudly, summoning her children. The tracker is heard beeping, as Amanda sees signals closing in from all directions and realizes she needs to escape quickly. The player runs out of the chamber, using the motion tracker to guide their way to an appropriate escape, as the Queen can still be heard roaring deep within the Hive, even once Amanda is far away.

The Old One

The Old One

The above is why I'm glad it wasn't included, she's better off unseen.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 17, 2018, 06:58:40 PM

After A:CM, I don't think I could've stood it. That's why, if she absolutely had to be included, it wouldn't be for long. I think the Hive section of Isolation was pretty well done just the way it was.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 17, 2018, 07:09:08 PM
Quote from: The Old One on Aug 17, 2018, 06:58:40 PM

After A:CM, I don't think I could've stood it. That's why, if she absolutely had to be included, it wouldn't be for long. I think the Hive section of Isolation was pretty well done just the way it was.

Interesting. I definitely had no problem with not seeing her either, and just assumed she was either around and we never saw her.

Just watching Aliens recently I wondered if they tried to implement her as an interactive enemy type, what sort of mechanics would make that sort of encounter interesting to play.

The Cruentus

There was a Queen, CA confirmed that but they didn't include her in the actual game because they thought it wasn't very "Alien" and they thought the player would expect to fight her. https://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/interview-creative-assembly-post-launch/
I'm glad she wasn't in it as The Queen is used to often these days and the eggs are enough to let you know that she was about somewhere on the station.

MU-TH-UR 6000

If there's ever a sequel to Isolation, I'd love to have sections where you were faced to stealth pass a queen. Or rather have multiple instances throughout where you have to go against her. None of your gadgets worked on her, just you, her and level design. I want to poop my pants like certain sections of Outlast where everything's dark as shit but there's something unkillable nearby. I would even be fond if you ever got to see her grow during these sections. She just starts as a lil' Preatorian, getting bigger the more you progress through the game, making each encounter different each time.

Kimo

Kimo

I would of liked to of seen the Queen as you leave the Hive. And you have to avoid it when your leaving the Central Reactor section. You still have to deactivate the Cores in this section, but instead of dealing with a  bunch of working Joe's you have to get pass and avoid the Queen that's blocking your path. This part of the level would of been great for the Queen cos it's a big open space and it has long walkways that circle in on themselves. However after this section you don't get to encounter her till you have to escape the Anesidora (some how the Queen gets on that ship) and when you escape the Anesidora you encounter her one more time as the ship is about to explode.. (I've always thought the Anesidora felt a little too empty and a wasted opportunity in that section of the game) Then have the rest of the game as it was. 

The Old One

The Old One

I disagree, the game's stronger without her presence.
It would've been a mistake.

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: The Old One on Nov 24, 2018, 09:23:36 PM
I disagree, the game's stronger without her presence.
It would've been a mistake.

I do agree that the game feels more like Alien without the Queen. But as soon as I seen the Hive when first playing the game, I was expecting the Queen to make a cameo at some point in the game, but she never did. Before I first seen the Hive i was hoping they would do something with Egg Morphing rather then adding a typical Hive. Just think how mysterious the game would of been if they showed people in different stages of Egg Morphing? 

Fleshwound

The Queen was definitely unecessary. It was always you against one xenomorph, not the hive. Even in the hive and the post-hive game it was mostly just you trying to avoid a single xenomorph.

PsyKore

PsyKore

There's plenty of nods to ALIENS that an appearance from the Queen would've worked fine. It wouldn't be sacrilege, or something. The first moment you discover there are multiple Alien's, it ceases strictly being ALIEN and you suddenly get vibes of ALIENS. From the moment you enter the hive, it especially harkens back to ALIENS. The later end of the game also oozes ALIENS with the amount of facehuggers and eggs lying around. Seeing a Queen wouldn't have affected things differently at all.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: PsyKore on Nov 28, 2018, 06:30:42 AM
The first moment you discover there are multiple Alien's, it ceases strictly being ALIEN ...Seeing a Queen wouldn't have affected things differently at all.

Yep. Even if she just would've been scenery, a dozing shape in the distance, it still would've been cool and in no way would've hurt the experience at all. Once all the extra xeno's started running around and you saw the hive and eggs, it shouldn't have been that big of a deal.

Still Collating...

Agreed, a part of me wanted to see the Queen since there was no apparent eggmorphing. But If CA didn't know what would be a right way to do it, I'm grateful they were responsible with the lore and didn't show the creatures in poor light. 

Kimo

Kimo

Ok just for shit and giggles, and not to be taking too seriously..  But say if CA did have a Queen encounter, when you enter or leave the Hive section in Isolation? Then do you guys think CA should of replaced the original xenomorph design with Cameron's xenomorph design after the Queen or Hive encounter? especially later in the game when you have to avoid 2 aliens in say mission 17 Desolation? Also in the rooms were you originally encounter the 2 xenomorphs that we got in the original game? How different would you make Cameron's creatures act? Obviously it would have the same mechanics at the original alien but would you change it's behaviour in anyway or just keep them the same, but with Cameron's xeno skin on then?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed