The Warhammer 40k Thread

Started by The Kurgan, Dec 09, 2018, 02:19:07 PM

Author
The Warhammer 40k Thread (Read 65,721 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

You should have a collection like this...

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I've seen people with Xenomorph style tyranids, still waiting for Starship Troopers Arachnid style tyranids.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Nov 08, 2019, 02:05:39 PM
I've seen people with Xenomorph style tyranids, still waiting for Starship Troopers Arachnid style tyranids.

I had a killteam like that back in the mid 2000's. I'd rather just get some of the actual SST miniatures but god damn they're expensive these days.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

I should post in here more often, I've been restoring my old Necron army and banging out new stuff at a pretty decent clip lately.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Where are the pics?

How is the bookcase looking these days?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The pics are trapped on my phone, and I had to fix two collapsed shelves the other day. It was pretty awesome!

Trioxin

Trioxin

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Nov 08, 2019, 02:05:39 PM
Many years ago when Warhammer Fantasy battles was at its peak in 6th edition there was a unique star ship troopers table top game. I always loved that movie I definitely wanted to play it but it was going to take money away from my precious necron and empire armies so I did not ever get it. Regrets.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 27, 2019, 04:09:55 AM
The pics are trapped on my phone, and I had to fix two collapsed shelves the other day. It was pretty awesome!

How did that happen?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2019, 01:36:00 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Dec 27, 2019, 04:09:55 AM

How did that happen?
old shitty shelves using plastic pins holding up more than they should have been, I replaced the pins with metal.

razeak

razeak

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Oct 10, 2019, 09:38:17 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 10, 2019, 09:32:57 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 08, 2019, 09:52:21 PM
Hopefully the Marvel book is part of some merchandising push too.  I'd be happy to see actual 40k toys on store shelves.

Is Warhammer like a huge thing in the States these days?

Because back in the day, the Seppos were strictly Dungeons & Dragons while the Limeys were all Fighting Fantasy and Warhammer.

Tabletop in general has been picking up a lot of steam recently here in the states. D&D and Warhammer especially.

I always liked the idea, but felt stupid at the thought of devoting that much time and money to it all. Plus I couldn't shake the stigma associated with it all. That's my failing lol. Though every time I've walked into a shop to look, half the dudes do in fact need deodorant.

My kids seem to like X-Wing Miniatures and AVP quite a bit. We have fun with it.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: razeak on Dec 28, 2019, 04:01:20 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Oct 10, 2019, 09:38:17 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Oct 10, 2019, 09:32:57 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 08, 2019, 09:52:21 PM
Hopefully the Marvel book is part of some merchandising push too.  I'd be happy to see actual 40k toys on store shelves.

Is Warhammer like a huge thing in the States these days?

Because back in the day, the Seppos were strictly Dungeons & Dragons while the Limeys were all Fighting Fantasy and Warhammer.

Tabletop in general has been picking up a lot of steam recently here in the states. D&D and Warhammer especially.

I always liked the idea, but felt stupid at the thought of devoting that much time and money to it all. Plus I couldn't shake the stigma associated with it all. That's my failing lol. Though every time I've walked into a shop to look, half the dudes do in fact need deodorant.

My kids seem to like X-Wing Miniatures and AVP quite a bit. We have fun with it.

In all honesty, keep your kids away from GW stuff. It's not so much that the models are heinously priced, it's that you need so damn many of them, and the rules change every three minutes leading to a lot of temptation to buy even more now that your favourite unit suddenly sucks. It can be a real bottomless pit of money.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Doesn't the paint get expensive too?  Not to mention how time-consuming it all is, and that's before you actually play the game.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2019, 11:48:30 PM
Doesn't the paint get expensive too?  Not to mention how time-consuming it all is, and that's before you actually play the game.

Yeah if you only buy GW branded paint it's pretty shocking, although razeak is already used to that element and seems to (sensibly) prefer Vallejo anyway.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Is there any advantage to using GW paints or is it just middling-quality stuff with the brand name on the bottle?

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 29, 2019, 01:00:46 AM
Is there any advantage to using GW paints or is it just middling-quality stuff with the brand name on the bottle?

They mostly rely on people not knowing about the alternatives or not having ready access to them, to sell their over priced tools and to a lesser extent, paints.

Having said that, I do use a lot of GW paint, but I also use Tamiya, Vallejo and Army Painter. With me it comes down to the properties of an individual paint and the job I need it to accomplish.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed