Started by Kradan, Feb 05, 2019, 10:28:12 PM

What is better?

The Predator
72 (55%)
AVPR
59 (45%)

Total Members Voted: 131

Author
The Predator VS AVPR (Read 51,902 times)

Naginata

Naginata

^ She specified "one of," and everything good about Watchmen was a direct lift from the comic.

The Old One

The Old One

Indeed, no Hack Snyder TY.

P-Rock

P-Rock

Quote from: Naginata on Feb 18, 2019, 10:01:36 PM
^ She specified "one of," and everything good about Watchmen was a direct lift from the comic.

Well, isn't that exactly what a movie based on a comic book should do?

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: P-Rock on Feb 19, 2019, 12:10:50 PM
Quote from: Naginata on Feb 18, 2019, 10:01:36 PM

Well, isn't that exactly what a movie based on a comic book should do?

That's fair I think, most of the time, when it's thoroughly based on a specific narrative. That's what the fans usually want too. And I'm thankful Sin City and 300 practiced that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

The Predator is leagues better than Requiem. It's mostly a fairly competent film let down by some glaring faults.

Requiem is only glaring faults.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 23, 2019, 02:27:56 PM
The Predator is leagues better than Requiem. It's mostly a fairly competent film let down by some glaring faults.

Requiem is only glaring faults.

I posted this in another thread, but it's just as applicable here. While Requiem mostly suffers from poor filming problems (where the majority of complaints seem to come from), the story, plot, and lore has been...desecrated by The Predator.

QuoteLore is what assists in telling a good story.

World-building is so much more than just a framing device. It's the very essence of any good fantasy or science fiction story, and the basis of a sense of place in other genres.

Good world-building lends an immersive richness to your movie, while also giving viewers the information they need to understand characters and plot lines.

Dictionary.com defines lore as "the body of knowledge, especially of a traditional, anecdotal, or popular nature, on a particular subject."

UrbanDictionary.com describes lore as "The collective history and the sum of all knowledge available about a certain fantasy or sci-fi universe" or "The story or reasoning behind occurrences."

When writing horror, fantasy or any form of speculative fiction, lore provides consistency, a set of rules and standards that make your fictional universe believable. What are the specific characteristics, powers and limitations of your characters and why?

Without lore there is no suspension of disbelief. You need it to tell good stories.

When you don't do that, you get: The Predator.

And that is just bad cinema overall.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Nah, I agree with the poll results.

AvPR didnt just suffer from bad filmaking, its story is terrible and so are the characters. Its all around bad in all department's and i find little to no enjoyment in any part of it. Some hardcore fans like it for the predator but i dont think thats even done well.

At least The Predator has some entertainment value in some scenes. Its lore stuff can be fansplained pretty easily as well. Fugitives escape alone was better than anything in AvPR. Also some of the scenes featuring the loonies were better than any of the human scenes in AvPR.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 23, 2019, 03:37:30 PM
Nah, I agree with the poll results.

AvPR didnt just suffer from bad filmaking, its story is terrible and so are the characters. Its all around bad in all department's and i find little to no enjoyment in any part of it. Some hardcore fans like it for the predator but i dont think thats even done well.

At least The Predator has some entertainment value in some scenes. Its lore stuff can be fansplained pretty easily as well. Fugitives escape alone was better than anything in AvPR. Also some of the scenes featuring the loonies were better than any of the human scenes in AvPR.
Spoiler

[close]

Okay, okay. I guess I'll concede that. HOWEVER!

Original AvP or The Predator?
Spoiler
[close]

426Buddy

426Buddy

Not sure why you're posting rotten tomato scores and polls. I just meant that I agree with the poll results in this thread. I don't actually base my opinion on the results of polls and review scores.

But as far as AvP goes, I personally think its much better than The Predator.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 23, 2019, 04:54:17 PM
Not sure why you're posting rotten tomato scores and polls. I just meant that I agree with the poll results in this thread. I don't actually base my opinion on the results of polls and review scores.

But as far as AvP goes, I personally think its much better than The Predator.

I use those as the "normie" scores, if you will. Because generally, we are considered "hard core" fans. But yes, I do agree with you. My biggest gripe about that was the design of the Predators in that movie. Mainly scar. The actual face, not the armor or any of that. Those were acceptable.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah the actual predator faces were abysmal in avp.

AhabPredator

AhabPredator

Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 23, 2019, 06:38:45 PM

Do you think Stan Winston would cringe seeing them? 🤔

TheSailingRabbit

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: AhabPredator on Feb 23, 2019, 07:25:23 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Feb 23, 2019, 06:38:45 PM

Do you think Stan Winston would cringe seeing them? 🤔

Voodoo saying something about "Crabators" in 3 . . . 2 . . . 1 . . .

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What's wrong with the faces in AvP?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Feb 23, 2019, 08:08:26 PM
What's wrong with the faces in AvP?

Oh you, such a scoundrel :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed