AvPR
132 (16.9%)
Predators (Added 2/12/11)
20 (2.6%)
The Predator (Added 27/07/20)
1 (0.1%)

Total Members Voted: 727

Author
Favorite Predator Design (Read 165,988 times)

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 11, 2020, 12:22:55 PM
The Elder was a modified Jungle Hunter suit, so that makes sense!

Yeah, and I think one of the great aspects of Elder is life basically forcing art in a way. Since the suit was already in rough shape from the first film a lot of the "stuff" they added to it was really just because the thing was falling apart, but the result is a Predator that really does feel like he's lived a long life and seen some shit. All the wrappings and straps and trophies and things they added.

We simply haven't seen the Predators as character as well realized since the first two films, and I know this might upset some people, but I don't think it has much to do with not having KPH in the suit. He gave it some magic, yes, but I think the big problem is the way the suits have been made, and the way they have been shot and directed.

Your wife sounds awesome!  :)

She is. She puts up with my fanboyism a lot.

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 11, 2020, 08:14:14 AM
City Hunter's always been my favourite too.

I love how it manages to be both really different and yet still identifiable as the same species from the first film. To my mind no one else has pulled that off since. Winston was a boss.

I would never knock City Hunter. He's a great design, and you can totally see what Stan wanted to improve. Things got slimmed down, some of the awkward aspects of the design were fixed. For example the entire backpack and shoulder cannon assembly are completely different. To the point that I sometimes forget City Hunter has a shoulder cannon, it's so inconspicuous when it's on his back.

The one aspect I do like a lot is that both Predators feel like they're of the same species completely, but are also completely individuals. Not just different designs, but they both have unique personalities and styles of hunting.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 11, 2020, 08:26:15 AM
I don't get why they're apparently so hard to recreate, but then I'm not a creature designer so maybe there's a certain amount of talent required in simply reproducing what's already come before.

One of the biggest issues I've noticed is that ADI just uses different materials. There is no excuse to be able to get things authentic and right when you have long time established communities like Hunters Lair and such that have so much detail and documentation, and so many suit builders out there.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 11, 2020, 09:51:34 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 11, 2020, 08:26:15 AM
I don't get why they're apparently so hard to recreate, but then I'm not a creature designer so maybe there's a certain amount of talent required in simply reproducing what's already come before.

One of the biggest issues I've noticed is that ADI just uses different materials. There is no excuse to be able to get things authentic and right when you have long time established communities like Hunters Lair and such that have so much detail and documentation, and so many suit builders out there.

Maybe they don't want to do it. I mean, perhaps they want to bring their own take of the Predator design (for better or worse) and that's it. Creative reasons.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Okay, but it looks like garbage, and not in a "it's a matter of opinion" way. In AvP in particular it looks objectively inferior, whatever material they're using, whatever paint schemes they're using, the Predators look absolutely terrible. Completely unconvincing to the eye.

The Predator in the first film immediatley reminds me of life. I had red belly frogs as a kid, and the black patterns, skin texture, the sheen, it all matched perfectly with what you'd expect an actual living being to look like if it was an anthropomorphism Reptilian/Amphibian.

The Predator face in AVP and The Predator looks like what it is. Some kind of latex with paint on it.

SiL

SiL

In terms of realism, AvP can almost be forgiven for the awful design briefs they had to work with. Anderson didn't want them too slimy, and a big part of what made Jungle Hunter look real was his sheen. Even the inside of their mouths was toned down to a softer pink colour, which saps the realism from it.

The rest, not so much.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 11, 2020, 09:51:34 PM
The Elder was a modified Jungle Hunter suit, so that makes sense!

Yeah, and I think one of the great aspects of Elder is life basically forcing art in a way. Since the suit was already in rough shape from the first film a lot of the "stuff" they added to it was really just because the thing was falling apart, but the result is a Predator that really does feel like he's lived a long life and seen some shit. All the wrappings and straps and trophies and things they added.

I don't believe it was the original suit, but rather the moulds for the original suit.

BlazinBlueReview

BlazinBlueReview

Okay I have a serious question.

Fugitive Predator. I've heard some people love his look. Heard others hate it. My question is why?

And the mask was one that not terribly fond of personally

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: BlazinBlue88 on Jul 11, 2020, 08:33:33 PM

Fugitive Predator. I've heard some people love his look. Heard others hate it. My question is why?

It's a Crabator. It's a crustacean looking Predator with broken oversized jaws and a gigantic disproportional bobble head that can hold pencils within his mandible flaps that likely makes the late, great Stan Winston turn in his grave.

Long live the work of Stan da Man Winston!

426Buddy

426Buddy

Stans work is undeniably amazingly better. But I still like Fugitive. :)

BlazinBlueReview

BlazinBlueReview

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 11, 2020, 09:11:33 PM

It's a Crabator. It's a crustacean looking Predator with broken oversized jaws and a gigantic disproportional bobble head that can hold pencils within his mandible flaps that likely makes the late, great Stan Winston turn in his grave.

https://i.ibb.co/Tkrmkz1/tumblr-nl7pj5-D1n-C1u1vwpho2-500-1.gif
https://i.ibb.co/f0VFBBR/tumblr-or8kgl-RR9l1rp0vkjo1-500.gif

Okay. Yeah I remember going to Hollywood Wax Museum round Niagra Falls when I was in like 3rd grade. They had a Predator in there. One of the coolest things of that museum.

The mask that Fugitive supposed to wear but got ganked by the kid. The design of that is less impressive than Jungle Hunter or City Hunters silver or bronze mask.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 11, 2020, 10:03:43 PM

Master

Master

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 12, 2020, 05:45:48 AM

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jul 11, 2020, 10:03:43 PM

Nonsense! Long live Scar Predator!

At least AvP trio behaved like Predator should.

Kradan

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kradan on Jul 12, 2020, 05:45:48 AM

I responded to the question "Fugitive Predator. I've heard some people love his look. Heard others hate it. My question is why?" ya goofball.  :P

And then when someone asks "Who here loves The Predator 2018?", then it's your turn!

Kradan

Kradan

Come on, I'm not here to antogonize you ! You post your speech about Crabators - I post "Do you ever shut up ?" gif. Like you post gif with Elder throwing Harrigan a pistol when somebody admires P2. That's just how it goes

I'm sorry if it insults or annoys you

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 12, 2020, 04:01:59 PM
And then when someone asks "Who here loves The Predator 2018?", then it's your turn!

You know it's not gonna happen let's just say EVER  :D

bendinglight

bendinglight

The Crabator design from ADI is pretty piss-poor. In my eyes, the folks there have butchered what Stan Winston created and he is probably rolling in his grave from the steep decline in quality of his creation.

From the awful mandible structure to the movement of the Fugitive Predator itself (the running sequence on top of the Star Gazer facility jumps to mind), ADI misses all marks on their work. Just a shame that they are continually handed work after numerous examples of poor execution and quality, imo, for Predator.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed