ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,406 times)

robbritton

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 26, 2016, 05:43:36 PM
For what it's worth, Fire and Stone has references to the AVP movies with the blooding symbol on the Predators' heads.

That was nicked from the original Dark Horse comics anyway. I'd say DH are allowed to use it without it being a tie to the films.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: robbritton on Apr 28, 2016, 08:39:30 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Apr 26, 2016, 05:43:36 PM
For what it's worth, Fire and Stone has references to the AVP movies with the blooding symbol on the Predators' heads.

That was nicked from the original Dark Horse comics anyway. I'd say DH are allowed to use it without it being a tie to the films.

Actually it wasn't, the writers said before the release of F&S that there would be no references to previous EU.  Furthermore, even if the writers took the idea from the original story, then they would have used the comics' blooding symbol rather than the movie's.

426Buddy

The avp fire and stone predators were weird anyway as they appeared to look like the super preds from predators in armor and tech but when unmasked were original preds. It seemed like the writers and artists just kinda took from a lot of sources without much thought..

predxeno

That's true lol, let's also not forget that Prometheus's questions of life kept popping up annoyingly throughout the arc.  Not everybody is a fan of that film, is it too much to ask for one arc to not feature a Prometheus-related theme?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 29, 2016, 07:37:07 PM
That's true lol, let's also not forget that Prometheus's questions of life kept popping up annoyingly throughout the arc.  Not everybody is a fan of that film, is it too much to ask for one arc to not feature a Prometheus-related theme?

Apparently, I would think it is! :D

predxeno

Well, what little I've heard of Aliens: Defiance seems to indicate it'll be a return to form before Prometheus started infecting everything with its plot, so I'm happy at least for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RakaiThwei

Quote from: predxeno on Apr 29, 2016, 07:45:16 PM
Well, what little I've heard of Aliens: Defiance seems to indicate it'll be a return to form before Prometheus started infecting everything with its plot, so I'm happy at least for that.

After Fire and Stone, I gave up on the EU. At least I have the old EU material which maybe effectively it's own universe now. By the way, did you get my PMs?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Aside from AvP F&S and Omega I thought the rest of the Fire & Stone series was really good, better than atleast  80% of the old EU comics IMO.

SM

Well I'm sure you'll all be beyond delighted then, that WYR only has the briefest of mentions of Fire & Stone.

Xenomrph

I really do wish the WYR hadn't been so movie-centric, and had more EU stuff. Like I get that the movies are the biggest audience, but if the report is meant to be "as complete as possible", I'd hope it would have more data from events in the EU, or at least a token "data from [SEVASTOPOL INCIDENT] unavailable because [REASONS]".

SM

WYR was written in 2013, and the layout more or less finalised in 2014, some six months before Isolation or Fire & Stone were released.

marrerom

I'm very please the WYR ignored the EU (for the most part).  Including all the comics and  books would have ruined its legitimacy. Keeping strictly to the canon was the best way to go.

StrangeShape

Quote from: marrerom on Apr 30, 2016, 03:11:26 AM
I'm very please the WYR ignored the EU (for the most part).  Including all the comics and  books would have ruined its legitimacy.

Not all, certainly not all Old EU had some marvelous stories, but unfortunately also had a large share of pretty awful ones. But with new  EU that started with Fire and Stone, as of yet theres no bad comic yet

Xenomrph

I'm very please the WYR ignored the EU (for the most part).  Including all the comics and  books would have ruined its legitimacy. Keeping strictly to the canon was the best way to go.
The new EU stories are part of "the canon".

Quote from: SM on Apr 29, 2016, 11:43:06 PM
WYR was written in 2013, and the layout more or less finalised in 2014, some six months before Isolation or Fire & Stone were released.
That makes a little more sense then. I keep forgetting that the book had been finished a while back, even if it's only getting a widespread (non-Sideshow) release just now.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 30, 2016, 03:01:17 PM
The new EU stories are part of "the canon".

I've heard this mentioned on this site several times but the only evidence that's given is from the people making the material in question.  The creator's of EU content always say its canon, otherwise no one would bother reading it. Its just a marketing ploy plain and simple and until one of the films references the EU they will remain non-canon.  Remember, Aliens Colonial marines was also marketed as the official sequel to Aliens but now even the people overseeing the EU dismiss it. Only the films really matter.

Although, If I'm wrong though about the films never referencing the EU (and I might be) then I'd obviously change my stance.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed