ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 398,479 times)

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 07, 2015, 01:56:52 PM
I warn you...I have a Pulse Rifle.

And I got a plasma caster! My ship's faster than Huda's as well.

Must have this book in my trophy belt!

(Lookin' forward to the review by the way. You know, just to see how valuable the trophy will be.)

predxeno

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 07, 2015, 01:31:48 PM
And just to confirm, there are currently no plans for a standard edition of this book.

Huh, figures.  Tell us whether this book is any good then, will ya? ;)  I wanna know if it's really worth the overpriced $325 price tag.

Corporal Hicks

Fear not. I'm going to be a detailed preview of it.

xeno_alpha_07

*SIgh*  I was really hoping for a standard edition  >:(  I think I'll wait for Hicks' detailed preview and others before making my decision whether to buy this or not.

drsmuts

I've watched the youtube reviews of the French edition, one which goes through every page of the book............and it's not worth 32 dollars let alone 325.

Some great art throughout....but that's it. Lots of photos seen hundreds of time before.

I'd buy a standard softback edition for about 20 pounds, no more.

MrSpaceJockey

But one of the main ideas behind this book is the words written - it details the history of Weyland Yutani and presumably fleshes out the history of the company and the world behind ALIEN.  Hopefully that adds some more value.

I think saying it's not worth 32 dollars is a bit harsh.  Sure, it includes a lot of old images...but theres such a wealth of fantastic CGI art by Locusta and those great cross sections and the number of physical collectibles (Burke's card, and couple of pages from Morse's book???) that come with the book.  You have to be enthusiastic about that sort of stuff though.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I'd be willing to pay a fair bit for the book because it's a neat item with lots of nerd value.

Just not willing to pay upwards of $300.

locusta

Quote from: drsmuts on Jul 09, 2015, 07:55:40 PM
I've watched the youtube reviews of the French edition, one which goes through every page of the book............and it's not worth 32 dollars let alone 325.

Some great art throughout....but that's it. Lots of photos seen hundreds of time before.

Never saw nor found this French review. Link please, thanks

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: locusta on Jul 10, 2015, 01:45:31 PM
Quote from: drsmuts on Jul 09, 2015, 07:55:40 PM

Never saw nor found this French review. Link please, thanks

C'est ici monsieur Locusta:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Rx4Hxxjbk

Although this appears to be the Spanish edition.

drsmuts

Sorry, I made a typo in my earlier post...I meant I'd pay no more than £25, not £20. That also refers just to the standard softback without the extras.

The art is lovely, especially the cross sections.....but a lot of other books have this. I think $325 for the special book even with the extras and fancy cover is really pushing it to be honest.

RidgeTop

No standard edition? That's crazy, a book is not even worth printing if only a few can afford it.

predxeno

Yeah, they should have just done what the Star Wars books are doing these days and just made it $70 or so with a cheaper cover, going to Sideshow Collectibles was just plain overkill.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Yeah,£25 sounds about right.No way that book is worth $325,even with the fancy cover and bonus materials,just exploiting the die-hard fan's wallets.The book on Jaws (2011) had the good sense to offer fans a choice of limited hardback with bonus DVD or standard edition so all the fans could benefit and not a select few.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

To be fair, it's prolly SM's signed "Certificate of Canonicity" that's responsible for the exorbitant price.

HuDaFuK

I'll be honest, part of me still suspects we will get a cheaper edition. I get the feeling they've put this price tag on it and are worried they won't sell any if people know a cheaper version is coming, so they're claiming this is it to try and push a few more into buying.

Could well be wrong, but that's what I suspect.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed