ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 394,656 times)

Xenoegg

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 07, 2014, 04:44:22 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 07, 2014, 01:43:52 PM
Same here. Could be that it was added back in the reprint although I doubt it. Maybe someone with an original copy could confirm?
I'll check my copy when I get home, but I don't recall anything about the EEV in my copy and I've got a first edition.  If they did add the EEV article back in, that's a pretty good reason for me to buy the reprint. My first edition copy is in readable but heavily used condition, although I did get it signed by Lance Henriksen so I'm in no rush to get rid of it.

Its in the original CM Technical Manual  too,the only difference from the Magazine is the name of the EEV,  Type 337 in the book,in the Magazine BD-409.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: gabgrave on Sep 07, 2014, 05:21:13 PM
Technically, there could have been marines in the colony acting as security guards, considering how WY owns the corps and uses them as their buzz boys. We don't know whether there's a platoon or just a squad of marines though.

WY doesn't actually own the USCM corps. Aliens has a non-commissioned officer and lowly "grunt" override a Junior WY Executive and Special Projects Director.

The USCM corp are a branch of the armed forces of a sovereign nation, not PMC's.

SM

Pages 127 to 129 of the CMTM talk about the EEV.

Local Trouble

Does this new book even tell us anything about the EEV?  Last thing I want is a repeat of the CMTM's technical mistakes.

predxeno

Wait, so are both the original and reprint versions of the CMTM the same or are there differences? ???

SM

No differences.  The EEV stuff was always there.  As Xenoegg said, the version in the CMTM is an edit of the piece that appeared in the DH UK Aliens mag.

Quarax

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 07, 2014, 11:12:14 PM
Wait, so are both the original and reprint versions of the CMTM the same or are there differences? ???

I'm pretty sure the only differences are that the reprint has an extra page (probably just legal stuff) and the original has more colors.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 07, 2014, 10:23:32 PM
Does this new book even tell us anything about the EEV?  Last thing I want is a repeat of the CMTM's technical mistakes.
What sort of technical mistakes?

Also including the EEV still isn't a direct A3 "reference", since the book doesn't have any images from A3. It's just an article about the escape pods that the Sulaco happens to have.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 07, 2014, 11:50:01 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 07, 2014, 10:23:32 PM
What sort of technical mistakes?
Deja vu...

Xenomrph

Fair enough, yeah I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of stuff fixed. :)

gabgrave

gabgrave

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Sep 07, 2014, 05:55:27 PM
WY doesn't actually own the USCM corps. Aliens has a non-commissioned officer and lowly "grunt" override a Junior WY Executive and Special Projects Director.

The USCM corp are a branch of the armed forces of a sovereign nation, not PMC's.
I'm pretty sure it was stated in one of the novels that "The Company owes the Corps." Doesn't mean that they literally work for the company, but if the company has a hand in the governing of the sovereign nation, and WY is stated to be THE company in the earth sphere, it can 'influence' the higher level decisions of a sovereign nation. Sure, they stepped over Bruke in the heat of the moment, but if he had the chance to contact company HQ the marines would be jumping before they can ask how high. It's about the same situation as an UN force.

SM

The Company has no official jurisdiction over the USCM.  They can be called upon to protect US interests in space - and while WY is not only global, but interstellar - we might assume the the UA/ US arm of the company oversaw Hadley in conjunction with the ECA.

The Company has their own military personnel as seen at the end of Alien3.

Kimarhi

If WY influenced anything it would be behind the scenes.  Lubing some top Generals bank account so that he might send assets one way or another. 

A grunt isn't going to give a good goddamn what some suit says to him. 

SM

predxeno

In AVP2010, Karl Bishop Weyland reveals that the Marines source their weapons from Wey-Yu and that the Corps and Weyland are "old friends"; this would imply that Wey-Yu may have some controlling interest in the Corp, it would certainly explain how the Marines are always around when the Company needs them.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed