Why did Harrison Ford turn down Captain Dallas?

Started by Pvt. Hicks, Jan 31, 2009, 02:42:40 AM

Author
Why did Harrison Ford turn down Captain Dallas? (Read 11,517 times)

Pvt. Hicks

Anyone know? Previously, he just did Star Wars, and afterwards he did Blade Runner. This was Sci-Fi. Anyone know why he declined? My guess is that he gained 'leading man' status and was not going to take getting killed by a monster half-way thru.

Undeadite

Oh god, he was offered the part? Well Im glad he turned it down, just dont see him in the role.

maledoro

He was a bit busy on the planet Hoth.

ShadowSonic

He was either too busy doing Indiana Jones or the Star Wars series.

Though if he DID take it, it would've upped the "Psycho" feel wherein the big name got taken out halfway...

maledoro

Quote from: ShadowSonic on Feb 01, 2009, 12:15:58 AM
He was either too busy doing Indiana Jones or the Star Wars series.
Star Wars. Although he wasn't on set until 1979 at the earliest, he was committed to Empire.

Quote from: ShadowSonic on Feb 01, 2009, 12:15:58 AM
Though if he DID take it, it would've upped the "Psycho" feel wherein the big name got taken out halfway...
Not really. Even though Star Wars is now part of our consciousness in a big way and had done pretty well at the box office in 1977, it wasn't really a gigantic sensation until 1980. If he had taken the Captain Dallas role, people's reaction would have been, "It's that guy from Star Wars. No, not the 'Luke Skywalker' guy." For those who will see Alien for the first time after 1980, he would have been known by name.

wmmvrrvrrmm

where did you read that he was offered the role?

EEV2650

Quote from: wmmvrrvrrmm on Feb 01, 2009, 05:56:41 AM
where did you read that he was offered the role?

My thoughts exactly

The Necronoir

I thought he'd only been considered for the role, not actually offered.

Pvt. Hicks

EEV2650

What i learned from that is that Ford has turned down alot of good roles in alot good films.

Vulhala

I guess a more pertinent question, is would there have been an Alien series if he HAD taken the role? Would there have been a sequel? As, at that time if he had come onboard, it would have completely taken the light off Weaver don't you think?

SiL

Hardly. He still would've been dead three quarters the way through the film, after which it's Ripley's show.

EEV2650

I dont know SiL. If Ford would have been in Alien i dont think we would have the alien franchise as we have it now. I think Ford might not have over shadowed Weaver back in '79 but I think by 1984 people would recognize alien as a Harrison Ford movie more than a Sigourny Weaver movie.

SiL

The feminists wouldn't let that happen, though.

And like I said. Dallas would still be dead, Fox would still do a sequel, and association with Ford or not, we still would've wound up with Aliens.

maledoro

Dallas would have died in Alien even if Ford was cast in the role. By the time Alien was in production, Skerritt was still a bigger name than Ford and Dallas still died.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed