So is the Queen still alive?

Started by germanator2, Mar 25, 2024, 11:17:01 AM

Author
So is the Queen still alive? (Read 3,136 times)

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2024, 12:17:09 PMI always thought the boom was a deliberate reference to the Alien exploding in the script.

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Mar 26, 2024, 05:02:24 AMWell, I see two options. Number one she went into the orbit of LV – 426 and simply burned up in the atmosphere. Number two she's in space. Just floating I don't know What's worse. Either you can just burn up in the atmosphere with a painful death or just float into space and experience, infinite boredom.

Or she got pulled into the gas giant.
Maybe, again we don't know. Space is so vast with ... space but you can literally miss most things while floating through.

SiL

SiL

On a long enough time frame she'd be pulled into either the moon's gravity or the planet's gravity. She's not going to end up floating out into the void.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2024, 12:36:41 PM
Quote from: Eal on Mar 26, 2024, 12:33:41 PMThe only layer of stupid I can objectively point out is that it implies WY knew of Ripley's shuttle (how else could they find Big Chap?) and are both omnipotently evil and incompetent at the same time.
That it survived is dumb, that they could find it is dumb, that they could find it and not Ripley is dumb, that --

It's a small charred corpse in deep space. There is no good explanation for finding it. There are plenty of contrived ways to pull it out your arse, sure, but no good explanations.

There are, actually, they just have three major problems in that they a.)retcon Ripley's accidental drifting through the Core systems to one of deliberate interference by whatever WY survey team found Chap b.)This further retcons WY's actions inbetween Alien and Aliens to be both omnipotent and incompotent. And finally c.)rather than exploding and being scatered in disparate parts of the galaxy, Big Chap somehow remained intact and drifted in a straight line backwards away from the shuttle.

Provided a.) and c.) are true, then it's certainly very "convenient", but no more so than an egg randomly appearing in a random Sulaco corridor that we haven't seen being laid or created.

That still leaves the problem of WY somehow being omnipotent and also incredibly idiotic at the same time. It begs the question of why the dog catches in Alien 3 didn't just survey the planet to look for a floating Queen.

SiL

SiL

"It floated in a straight line and they just worked their way back from a point in space they could not have known" is not a good explanation, that's firmly in the arse-pull territory.

Even if they had a way of knowing where the ship was when it was ejected, the chances of finding something that small floating alone in space is zero.

An egg being on the Sulaco after an egg-laying Alien was on it was fine. We can connect those dots. The only actual problem is where we see it.

BlueMarsalis79

I think it is not fine, being a stationary object they ought to have found with a sweep before hypersleep, Facehuggers though I can absolutely buy being missed.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 26, 2024, 01:01:54 PMI think it is not fine, being a stationary object they ought to have found with a sweep before hypersleep
That's a separate issue. We don't need to see the egg being laid if there's an egg-laying Alien on the ship beforehand.

But yes, just facehuggers would've been the sensible thing.

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah I know what you mean.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

The Big Chap exploding part will be easily ignored. I'm pretty sure most people didn't even notice it.

SiL

SiL

100% he didn't explode and is in one slightly used piece.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: SM on Mar 25, 2024, 11:48:04 PMThe "other" being referred to, was squatting on private property without the appropriate timeframe to claim adverse possession, and furthermore lacked the intellect to realise aforementioned property was going into meltdown despite repeated warnings to evacuate to a, quote, "minimum safe distance", unquote.

How's this for an ass pull? The Queen always intended to stowaway on the Sulaco and used both Newt and Ripley to do it. Then it's finally a literal ass pull of leaving an infant Alien behind just in case.

Eal

Eal

I guess. Plot contrivances and gaps in logic only really start to matter when the movie is terrible.

My main gripe, still, is more that it retroactively makes WY look incompetent and like evil geniuses at the same time.

They're geniuses enough to perfectly track a shuttle's flight path, deliberately interfere with it to make sure she goes off course and find and reverse-engineer the remains of Big Chap. Okay. Right. Sure.

They're also incompetent enough to waste billions of dollars processing the atmosphere on LV-426 and sending colonists out there, and by Alien 3somehow not being able to repeat the process they used to find Big Chap to also find the Queen?

SiL

SiL

Like I said, it's layers of dumb.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: Eal on Mar 26, 2024, 01:17:21 PMI guess. Plot contrivances and gaps in logic only really start to matter when the movie is terrible.

I agree. Alien 3 is build on a big plot hole, and I love it.

BlueMarsalis79

I like to think Big Chap went into stasis mode, he a sleepy boy all through the end of Alien, ala in Dark Descent. He appears to have created some fungal growth or something around him.

I think the Queen died though, burning up in the atmosphere of Acheron hopefully, I can only be glad the Dragon got such a definitive ending on Fury that they can not f**k with.

This feels truly like discussing Halloween or Friday the 13th now.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: SiL on Mar 26, 2024, 01:20:51 PMLike I said, it's layers of dumb.

Fair enough. I guess we just disagree on the type of dumbness in particular. My contention is more to do with how it affects WY's motivation in the later entries, yours is the probabilities and odds of it occuring the first place. Also the fact that the script has it blowing to bits and being scattered randomly throughout deep space. Cheers.

If the movie is good though, I'll accept it just like I accepted the Egg on the Sulaco.

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Mar 26, 2024, 01:24:29 PM
Quote from: Eal on Mar 26, 2024, 01:17:21 PMI guess. Plot contrivances and gaps in logic only really start to matter when the movie is terrible.

I agree. Alien 3 is build on a big plot hole, and I love it.

Me too!  ;D

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 26, 2024, 01:26:28 PMI like to think Big Chap went into stasis mode, he a sleepy boy all through the end of Alien, ala in Dark Descent. He appears to have created some fungal growth or something around him.

I think the Queen died though, burning up in the atmosphere of Acheron hopefully, I can only be glad the Dragon got such a definitive ending on Fury that they can not f**k with.

This feels truly like discussing Halloween or Friday the 13th now.

If Alien: Romulus turns out to be a waste of time, performs terribly and gets terrible reviews, they probably won't try and do anything with the Queen.

If it doesn't though...well...we know what they're going to try.

@Ralphy, are you feeling vindicated yet?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed