Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!!

Started by Pvt. Himmel, Apr 15, 2017, 12:04:43 AM

Author
Empire's ALIEN COVENANT Exclusive Cover, and Image Scans Revealed!! (Read 142,636 times)

acidreign

acidreign

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 16, 2017, 08:34:57 PM
We can go around and around, but the fact is there are no other space jockeys anymore.

What evidence do you have of this? Nothing Ridley has said in the interviews or set visits has indicated that they're completely done with the Engineers.

Yeah, I get it, we're all disappointed that the series pivoted back to being more horror/Alien-centric rather than starting a new franchise where we learn more about the Engineer civilization and how they use their biomechanical toilets or whatever. But that's no reason to assume you can read Ridley Scott's mind.

zoidy

Quote from: acidreign on Apr 16, 2017, 08:34:04 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on Apr 16, 2017, 08:03:26 PM
How are we supposed to care about John Logan's ten page treatment if it is guaranteed to be thrown out in the next 12 months?

In this one article alone, it begins with the filmmakers scrapping their original project for unknown reasons (boredom, by the sounds of it?) and going with a completely different approach.  By the end, we're supposed to be excited for the sequel they are planning?

That's just how the creative process works, dude.

Things change constantly for any number of reasons.

Exactly. We're not actually entitled to anything, not jockeys being what we imagined they were, not the movies we are excited about necessarily being good ... we're just lucky movies are being made on a topic we enjoy. And that process is complicated. If they turn out rubbish ... we've still got other movies we can rewatch  ;D

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Apr 15, 2017, 04:32:24 PM
And what is going on here??

Spoiler

[close]

David letting Walter try some of the local Engineer grown weed.

Hey, he's had the long hippie hair, might as well.  :P

But jokes aside, it looks like the flute as others have pointed out.  :)

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: acidreign on Apr 16, 2017, 08:59:16 PM
What evidence do you have of this? Nothing Ridley has said in the interviews or set visits has indicated that they're completely done with the Engineers.

The corpses are called 'deadgineers' by the crew. This is their homeworld. What more do we need, a treasure map?

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Sabres21768 on Apr 16, 2017, 07:49:57 PM
Love how it's tail is wrapped around the victim's leg.

Wonder who it is?

It looks so much like Huante's Fifield mutant concept art, its amazing.  Glad we actually get to see it in action.

Yeah, I'm very happy with how the Neomorph has turned out in that shot. Not sure about the CGI though from the tv spot that was released.

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 16, 2017, 10:12:12 PM
Quote from: acidreign on Apr 16, 2017, 08:59:16 PM

The corpses are called 'deadgineers' by the crew. This is their homeworld. What more do we need, a treasure map?

It probably is the homeworld, but as for it being the overall extinction of the species?

I'm not to sure about that.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: echobbase79 on Apr 16, 2017, 10:12:37 PM
It probably is the homeworld, but as for it being the overall extinction of the species? I'm not to sure about that.

Maybe, but I think they're done. I think Scott is washing his hands and sticking to the object of his fascination (Fassbender/David) while going back to the perceived moneymaker - the alien. I find it lazy, but there we are. Don't hold your breath.

El Diablo

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Apr 16, 2017, 09:54:16 PM
Quote from: Pvt. Himmel on Apr 15, 2017, 04:32:24 PM
And what is going on here??

Spoiler

[close]

David letting Walter try some of the local Engineer grown weed.

Hey, he's had the long hippie hair, might as well.  :P

But jokes aside, it looks like the flute as others have pointed out.  :)

It is a flute.

Spoiler
David is teaching Walter how to play, trying to encourage him to create and learn outside his programming.
[close]

echobbase79

But we still have the Space Jockey from the first film, right?

But like I said before I hope he doesn't even touch that. I want that to be an isolated incident that no future film talks about. That's one reason I'm glad the original planned prequel was changed to something different.

SpeedyMaxx

Quote from: echobbase79 on Apr 16, 2017, 10:25:51 PM

I'm pretty sure it's still been dead for thousands of years. But there's always the chance Ridley will decide it's Daniels (or David) in the flight suit.

QuoteBut like I said before I hope he doesn't even touch that. I want that to be an isolated incident that no future film talks about. That's one reason I'm glad the original planned prequel was changed to something different.

I actually think it is more likely to be tampered with now than before. Covenant is all about directly prequelizing the franchise with an actual alien and all the usual iconography out in the wild 20 years before the Nostromo, checking every single box, which IMO cheapens the original film. This story gives you easy new answers which I find sad.

Say what you will about Prometheus, but it treated the events on LV-426 and in the Alien franchise to be side issues only delicately touched upon, ancillary to the bigger mysteries of the Engineers and their other nefarious cosmic deeds. There was IMO plenty to explore with their other crazy experiments and nonsense while leaving the events that led to the space jockey of Alien as vaguely explicated as they were by the reveal of the Engineers' great catastrophe in Prometheus - which did not violate existing canon.

But the alien sells tickets, so here we are.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 16, 2017, 10:21:14 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on Apr 16, 2017, 10:12:37 PM
It probably is the homeworld, but as for it being the overall extinction of the species? I'm not to sure about that.

I hope there's enough room for David, the alien and the engineers. That twisted family tree is what's fascinating to me and makes it more complex.
Maybe, but I think they're done. I think Scott is washing his hands and sticking to the object of his fascination (Fassbender/David) while going back to the perceived moneymaker - the alien. I find it lazy, but there we are. Don't hold your breath.

echobbase79

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Apr 16, 2017, 10:29:28 PM

I'm pretty sure it's still been dead for thousands of years. But there's always the chance Ridley will decide it's Daniels (or David) in the flight suit.

QuoteBut like I said before I hope he doesn't even touch that. I want that to be an isolated incident that no future film talks about. That's one reason I'm glad the original planned prequel was changed to something different.

I actually think it is more likely to be tampered with now than before. Covenant is all about directly prequelizing the franchise with an actual alien and all the usual iconography out in the wild 20 years before the Nostromo, checking every single box, which IMO cheapens the original film. This story gives you easy new answers which I find sad.

Say what you will about Prometheus, but it treated the events on LV-426 and in the Alien franchise to be side issues only delicately touched upon, ancillary to the bigger mysteries of the Engineers and their other nefarious cosmic deeds. There was IMO plenty to explore with their other crazy experiments and nonsense while leaving the events that led to the space jockey of Alien as vaguely explicated as they were by the reveal of the Engineers' great catastrophe in Prometheus - which did not violate existing canon.

I hope not.  :-\

Now that would be pretty sad.

shawsbaby

shawsbaby

I agree with this assessment.

Prometheus ultimately isn't great but it certainly left enough breadcrumbs for better sequels along the way. I would have loved if Paradise had been made as a film with parallel storylines of David and Shaw on their way to their destination - Shaw sickly from her c-section infection and unable to heal properly because the Engineer sleep-pod is much too large for her, David wandering around the ship they absconded with, finding and messing with other weaponry he finds tucked away, perhaps even some dormant eggs he awakens? - and a Weyland Yutani crew coming to find what happened to the Prometheus crew and perhaps encountering Engineers who've come for similar reasons. There would have been plenty of ways to hint at the events leading up to Alien without hitting anyone over the head (and correcting the mistake of how frustratingly vague Lindelof left things).

So, yeah, what I'm seeing of Covenant seems like it will be fun to watch and well-made, but I suspect I'll remain disappointed they didn't take advantage of the framework Prometheus allowed for.

acidreign

acidreign

I suppose there's no need to check this site ever again because we've figured out exactly where the franchise is going. Time to close up shop, AVPGalaxy! Just change your name to Predator Galaxy because the Alien series is done!

Predaker

Honing in on the origin of the alien was inevitable with this, I think. Having the alien as barely a footnote in Prometheus worked then but eventually there needed to be a more substantial role for it. Otherwise these new films might as well not be a part of this franchise.

If these prequels had totally ditched the alien and focused on the engineers it could just as easily have cheapened the whole thing as well. Ridley doesn't seem to be interested in creating some kind of macabre giger-esque world - that influence is relegated to some extraterrestrial visuals and that's about it.

After Prometheus and seeing the engineers in Covenant, I'm personally glad they're one and done. I can't wait to see the look on their faces when my boy David shows up.

acidreign

acidreign

We don't know that they're one and done though!

I mean if David has escaped from Paradise at the end of Covenant (as indicated by test screening leaks) and is truly responsible for the existence of the aliens as we know them, then these prequels are going to have explain the LV-426 derelict. And if we're still going to do that we have to involve the Engineers and/or their technology somehow.

There's so much we don't know. It's getting ridiculous how presumptuous some of us are being. I think in this age of instant access to leaks and rumors we get a false sense of omnipotence and start thinking we can peer directly into the Scott Free production offices.

And some of us get bitter when the series goes in a different direction than the one we pictured in our head and consequently start assuming the absolute worst about everything. It gets suffocating and toxic after a while.

And the kicker is that none of us has even seen the finished movie yet!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed