32 (80%)
Alien 3
8 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author
Aliens vs. Alien 3 (Read 9,115 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Nov 05, 2023, 03:27:05 AMAlien 3 is not by any measure a masterpiece, under appreciated or appreciated or any other kind of reciated.

Perhaps you're overlooking Alien 3's secret weapon.

oduodu

oduodu

if only they included the eggmorphing they initially intended to. and if somehow (like in resurrection a clone version or in someway a ripley that
had all the biological strengths of the alien)  emerged from perhaps that eggmorphing process then "ripley" finally got some reward for all her troubles and wy the bio weapen they so desired. that would have finished the story arc for me. perhaps wiilingly letting newt s dead body also be eggmorphed or something and hicks......

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Neither can touch the original - that's my vote.

SiL

SiL

That's not an option, and it's accounted for in the question.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Aliens is a better and more fulfilling movie.

You need to compromise to get the most out of Alien 3.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Aliens is the better film but I find myself revisiting Alien 3 much more often.

Wweyland

Wweyland

Aliens is better and has aged better as well.

Jonjamess

Jonjamess

Has anyone seen the alternate cut of Alien 3? Not the Assembly Cut, the Burke wasn't working alone Cut. We were made to assume Burke had died on Hadley's Hope but he actually boards the Dropship the same time as the Queen. He's actually working with the Queen hence why he isn't working alone! He's also responsible for those eggs on the Sulaco! The Queen gave them to him!

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 05, 2023, 11:44:00 AMAliens is better and has aged better as well.

I'd strongly disagree with that - I *love* Aliens with a passsion, but it's aged the worst out of the three original movies - the original depicts working class space truckers that look like your average folk today, Alien 3 with the shaved heads etc could be any period... Aliens? It's pure 1980s cliches, from the hairstyles, language used, fashion, even the colonial marines armour looking very Vietnam in style - take away the CRT computer monitor on fury 161, and  Alien 3 could have been filmed yesterday.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Nov 05, 2023, 04:22:45 PM
Quote from: Wweyland on Nov 05, 2023, 11:44:00 AMAliens is better and has aged better as well.

I'd strongly disagree with that - I *love* Aliens with a passsion, but it's aged the worst out of the three original movies - the original depicts working class space truckers that look like your average folk today, Alien 3 with the shaved heads etc could be any period... Aliens? It's pure 1980s cliches, from the hairstyles, language used, fashion, even the colonial marines armour looking very Vietnam in style - take away the CRT computer monitor on fury 161, and  Alien 3 could have been filmed yesterday.

Nah, aside from some rough blue screen shots, all the effects hold up well in Aliens. Also everyone had military haircuts. Well aside from Ripley, Bishop, and Burk but I wouldnt conisider those particularly 80s cuts, maybe Ripleys but I still see that style around.

Aliens does have and 80s-ness to it but I feel like Alien has a 70s-ness to it also. Products of their time I guess

However I can agree that Alien 3 has probably aged the best over all. Other than the shoddy alien effects.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Nov 05, 2023, 11:36:43 AMAliens is the better film but I find myself revisiting Alien 3 much more often.

This. Aliens is where the bulk of what would become the EU originates from, but almost 40 years on, having seen it a silly number of times and after however many comics and games, it all kind of bleeds together for me. It's almost more like a sourcebook or concept art montage than a narrative film at this point of repetition.

Alien 3 is its own nasty little corner of the setting and gets more rewatches these days.

Eal

Eal

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Nov 05, 2023, 11:36:43 AMAliens is the better film but I find myself revisiting Alien 3 much more often.

Basically me as well. Voted Aliens but probably watch Alien 3 more often.
Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 05, 2023, 04:36:49 PM
Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Nov 05, 2023, 04:22:45 PM

Nah, aside from some rough blue screen shots, all the effects hold up well in Aliens. Also everyone had military haircuts. Well aside from Ripley, Bishop, and Burk but I wouldnt conisider those particularly 80s cuts, maybe Ripleys but I still see that style around.

Aliens does have and 80s-ness to it but I feel like Alien has a 70s-ness to it also. Products of their time I guess

However I can agree that Alien 3 has probably aged the best over all. Other than the shoddy alien effects.

I think the reason Alien 3 has aged well is because the prod designers didn't try to make it super 'futuristic' or how they thought styles would look.  Despite GUI's existing and improving in the late 80s, the filmmakers deliberately chose to go with Zeerust look, with black screen CLIs and acid-green text and whatnot.

Star Wars, for a while at least, felt dated to me...until I saw newer media (not much, mind you)that deliberately used Zeerust-style and then the issue of it being made in the 70s never crossed my mind anymore.

EDIT: "Retraux" is the term I'm looking at. You don't go too over the top with Retraux hair styles, you mostly just go with safe, timeless haircuts, but still. Alien: Isolation did this too and so (will?)does the game Routine.

SM

SM

Alien 3's crumby VFX were dated the day it was released.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Alien 3 requires more watches just to figure out where the egg came from.

SM

SM

And which bald rapist is speaking.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed