Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 10, 2013, 08:24:08 PM

Author
Dark Horse To Reboot Comic Series (Read 286,400 times)

Ultramorph

You're definitely right about all that. Putting things like Prometheus and Destroying Angels in the same continuity is a can of worms, especially if we take "old EU" to also include Original Sin and Steel Egg. Maybe they'll address the Weyland thing in the reboot, even just a passing line or two.

My excitement for what we'll hear at ECCC this weekend is growing, though. I'm dying to hear more about "Omega."

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 26, 2014, 05:26:21 PM
You're definitely right about all that. Putting things like Prometheus and Destroying Angels in the same continuity is a can of worms, especially if we take "old EU" to also include Original Sin and Steel Egg. Maybe they'll address the Weyland thing in the reboot, even just a passing line or two.

Considering that the writing team have said that they aren't treating AvP as canon, I won't think that they will address it. Thing is Sebela even said they didn't even look at the old EU.

So, so much confusion.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Just noticed that in the new Sebela article the Xeno-Deacons heads have been altered. They now have ridges, and their dorsal spikes are more xeno-esque. The Predator now also has only two wrist-blades. The skull on his chest also makes me certain it's the same Predator from the covers we got for that series yesterday. We had "Broken Tusk," I wonder what the yautja is for "Missing Eye."

RakaiThwei

Why would they change the cover?

Ultramorph

These things tend to evolve and get tweaked as time goes on. Even the Aliens #1 cover we got back in January was altered from Dave Palumbo's original. They're probably still tweaking the design of the adult Deacons, hence the changes.

I dig the ridges. The Deacon as we saw it in Prometheus was a bit light on bio mechanical aspects for me.

RakaiThwei

I'm sure the covers are great, and seeing them-- they are fantastic. I love the covers, and seeing the interior art so far-- definitely something which is a lot better than what we got in Three World War. I'm sure the stories will be great.

It's just.. shoe horning this all into the old EU seems really unnecessary. They're not counting the AvP movies as canon when some of the old EU stories do, or at the very least borrows elements from the movies. Just the idea of shoe horning these new comics into something already inconsistent just further irks and confuses me.

I honestly wish this was it's own separate thing and a new, separate continuity as they implied months ago. So much for a new and coherent, consistent continuity.  ::)

Ultramorph

It has been interesting seeing their attitude toward the old EU evolve over the last couple months.

On another note, I don't think Chris Roberson is going to respond to my tweet asking about any possible connections with the Titan novels. We'll just have to wait.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 26, 2014, 07:08:06 PM
It has been interesting seeing their attitude toward the old EU evolve over the last couple months.

Just seems kind of a sudden now.

Which either means two things... either the AvP movies are no longer canon, despite the old EU keeping elements and direct references to events and characters, which means they are somehow still canon.. Or.. Xenomrph was right all along.

Well, someone make a "Xenomrph was right!" shirt.. I might end up having to wear it.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Or Fox just doesn't give a shit. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 26, 2014, 07:27:56 PM
Or Fox just doesn't give a shit.

Which is nothing new at all.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I wouldn't get too worked up about it.  They are going to do what they want canonicity be damned.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 26, 2014, 07:31:20 PM
I wouldn't get too worked up about it.  They are going to do what they want canonicity be damned.

Quoting for truth..

I might end up making that my signature.

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Those are straight up Xenos I'd say and the change doesn't surprise me considering how the Deacon was created and the fact Prometheus' Deacon is female and it's gender isn't ambigious like Xenomorphs.

Quote from: Ultramorph on Mar 26, 2014, 03:28:13 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 26, 2014, 03:23:46 AM
That's what I was referring to. People seeing the similarities between some of the comic artwork and the Amanda Ripley designs for Isolation, etc.

Gotcha!  :)

I will say though that the Aliens cover we got today put some of those Amanda Ripley thoughts to rest for me, assuming that it's supposed to be the same woman on both covers.

Also I don't think I like the design here, hopefully it's just cover-art. Too close to Requiem for my tastes and too organic.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Erik Lehnsherr on Mar 26, 2014, 10:13:51 PM
Those are straight up Xenos I'd say and the change doesn't surprise me considering how the Deacon was created and the fact Prometheus' Deacon is female and it's gender isn't ambigious like Xenomorphs.

Where was it ever stated that the Deacon is a female?

The1PerfectOrganism

The1PerfectOrganism

Look at the behind the scenes, it's not made very apparent in the film but she has a vagina.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed